The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

22 hours since there was a post on this sub-forum. All the October Select Series are sold, we've determined the best strings on a RainSong, and almost a whole day since any report of an acute GAS attack... so, here's a song with the X10...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIpz...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Captain Jim; 10-21-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 10-21-2018, 08:51 AM

Love it!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:13 AM
Guest 928

Thank you again for taking the time and effort to demonstrate a marvelous guitar. Are you still playing any of the others?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Thank you again for taking the time and effort to demonstrate a marvelous guitar. Are you still playing any of the others?
I have good intentions. I go into the guitar room, with every intent of playing one of the other guitars... and then I pick up the X10. Yeah, 10 days in, this is still the honeymoon stage. Each time I play it, though, it makes my ears, hands, and heart happy.

I fully expect to play the others again soon. Some time. I sure don't see myself as a "narrowing it down to one" kinda guy. But, after the X7 and X20, I didn't think I really needed another guitar.

The house is full of good smells right now: I saw a post online about lasagna soup and showed it to Joan... she is cooking away on that as I write this. I might go get the X20 to play some music for her while she's hard at it. I think my playing could bring her to tears... or it could be the onions she's chopping. Maybe I'll just grab the X10; 'cause, you know, it's closer to the door of the guitar room.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Well, I hope you're happy, Evan. After your post, I brought the X20 out to the living room to entertain Joan while she cooked. It is a beast after playing the X10. Oh, not it a bad way... the sound is definitely bigger, bassier, and more growl than the X10. Yes, it is possible to play the X20 quieter... but why would you want to?

I had my back to Joan while playing and asked her if she noticed a difference in the sound - she said, "Did you change the strings on your new one? It sounds really nice. What's different?" She couldn't tell which guitar it was until she looked at it.

So, that's a good thing, right? Yeah, they both sound good. I'll tell you what I really noticed: the neck difference. The X10 is more comfortable for my hands; thinner profile and 1/16" narrower. My left hand had to work harder.

I think it is all about perspective. You know how people often say, "I haven't found anything I like better than my _________." (fill in the blank with your favorite guitar) It's the sound and the feel you know - so anything that sounds or feels different can't be as good. Until your hands and ears adjust to the new one. That's the reasonable explanation when someone says, "I like my $30 plywood guitar better than that expensive guitar I played in the shop today."

Oh, sometimes you get something SO much better than what you're playing that your head tells your hands and ears to get with the program. Especially if your bank account agrees with that assessment.

The X10 sounds great. The X20 sounds great. Yes, I still really like the sound and feel of my X7. I even picked up the 814 for a bit, and it sounds and feels good, too. (Well, not as good as the ergonomics on the Emeralds)

Right now, the X10 is probably my favorite. The X20 was 12 days ago. And the X10 before that. With all the playing recently, my hands and ears are all about the X10.

When I plug it is, there is no comparison: the X10 rules. And, it's red!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:50 PM

Cant beat the X10 plugged in and the neck is sweet!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-21-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
22 hours since there was a post on this sub-forum. All the October Select Series are sold, we've determined the best strings on a RainSong, and almost a whole day since any report of an acute GAS attack... so, here's a song with the X10...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIpz...ature=youtu.be

Love the video! I think we should start a biweekly "Play A Song On Your Emerald" event here on this forum.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Well, those D'Addario strings toughened up my fingertips. I put some Elixir Nanoweb Photophor Bronze strings on today... sounds and feels even better!

I think Emerald must have a new stringing technique: each string had a right angle bend that hooks on the first wrap - I had to snip a couple of them off the post.

It gave the opportunity to get a better look at those individual saddles...

It looks like they are compensated, and there is play in each one until the string is snugged down across it. Tiny height adjustment screws on either side.

I was anxious to hear how these sound plugged in... good; they sound real good. To my ear, the Elixirs have a bit more punch, with a bit more bass. I like 'em! And little to no squeek.

Tension feels about the same as the D'Addario strings that were on it. But, the feel of the Elixirs is easier on my fingers.

---------

I had to edit this post because the software that keeps our conversation clean thought something in the address of the image location of the photo with the saddles was naughty - it put in a string of asterisks. LOL

Last edited by Captain Jim; 10-22-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Guest 928

The 10 is special. I have a nylon string, long scale, 10. I also have a Rainsong Parlor nylon and an Emerald 7, thin bodied, hollow electric nylon strung instrument. The Parlor and electric are phenomenal guitars but I keep returning to the 10.

For me, it's all about size. The guitars mentioned are all good. But size-wise, the 10 is the magic spot. A thin-bodied, electric, hollow, nylon strung guitar could become my one guitar.

Waiting.....................
Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Well, it's official: the X10 is the new favorite!

Another gray,chilly, windy day here in the Tropical Tip; fortunately, the heavy precipitation that was forecast stayed just off-shore. That said, it was another recording kind of day. After making a half dozen videos, using the Zoom H4n Pro stereo mics directly into the Canon G3x camera, I decided to try syncing a multi-track audio file with the video... definitely a new challenge. I added a bass track and some hand percussion with the Yamaha DD65 electronic drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUeA...ature=youtu.be

I won't be giving up my day job, but it has been fun making some videos with the X10.

Joan and Rufus were quite patient today. I have been scheduled to try my hand at the fast-paced, exciting world of dryer repair (as in: washer/dryer) when FedEx shows up tomorrow with the parts... probably won't be any guitar playing. (Sigh)

This island boy is in need of some sunshine.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:31 AM

Good Job Captain!
Looks like a happy couple.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-24-2018, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

I like the multi-track audio, it adds a nice dimension to the music. I also really like your sense of exploration. Now, if you only had a nylon string guitar........
Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 AM

Default X10 - How easy is action change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

It looks like they are compensated, and there is play in each one until the string is snugged down across it. Tiny height adjustment screws on either side...
Being able to change action one string at a time and with strings on seems like a great feature for those that like to experiment with action. Have you tried it?
Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Being able to change action one string at a time and with strings on seems like a great feature for those that like to experiment with action. Have you tried it?
I have not. It came just the way I like it. Since there is some movement in each saddle with the string off, I didn't know if it would move - seems to have the same action and string height after the string change. But, yes, any adjustment should be very simple... and immediately reversible.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:25 PM

To not quit a day job do you actually have to have a day job to not quit? Just wonderin’.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber