The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Lightbulb

Geddy Lee

Old 11-28-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
My range has got better and higher but I think it's because I actually practice for it and sing a lot more now than I did in a band. In the band we practiced new songs and at the gig I sang 8-10 songs per night. Now I sing that much 5-6 days a week plus practice vocal exercises on the way to and from work most days.,.. So I've got a lot better and have found my voice[emoji106]
If you don't mind me asking why is your age presently?
Old 11-28-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
If you don't mind me asking why is your age presently?
63 years young
Old 11-28-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yes, it's real. I remember an interview a few years back where Steve Windwood talked about having to tune his guitar down two full steps (C) to play and sing Can't Find My Way Home!

That was great! I saw him with Eric Clapton when they toured last time.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
63 years young
Then there's hope for me! I will be 63 in about a week!
Old 11-29-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Then there's hope for me! I will be 63 in about a week!
Maybe one of the factors is I didn't really start singing until I was 36... So maybe I was higher before that..I don't know but I can sing higher now than at 36 and even after I sang in Bands for 10 years.
I practice songs out of my range..adjusting them down and play with the Capo bringing them up as my voice gets used to it.
I might start a song like "I Started a Joke" by the Bee Gees in "C' and then capo up to the first fret...second fret and up until it just ain't going to happen
The hard part in that song is the Chorus Am-Em and the last line "That the Joke was on Me" I actually move the "G" on "Joke" up an Octave for the rest of the line.

Also, one of the practices is called Siren....Do a siren sound start at your lowest note moving it up through your head voice through falsetto hold it a couple of seconds and bring it down to your starting lowest you can go point... Work on a smooth transition through your break-points..stomach-head-falsetto this is the one I use in the car with the windows up
Old 12-01-2020, 10:53 AM

In my 20's I could reliably tune my guitar by matching it to the top note of my range - which was Ab (1st string, 4th fret). On the low end, A (5th string) was comfortable but G was a stretch. My speaking voice was around D (4th string).

Now, 40 years later, my top comfortable note is D (second string, third fret) although I can still go on short forays up to the higher notes, topping out at G. On the lower end, now E (6th string) is comfortable, but D below that is doable. My speaking voice has dropped from D to A (5th string).

So, for me it's not just losing the high end, it's also gaining low end so the overall span is the about the same, at least.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Many singers lose some of their high range as they age, particular beyond age 60. As has been commented on already, smoking never helps.

I never beat up my voice too badly over the years, and so even at age 72 my upper range is as good as it ever was. However, at my current age I have to work harder and longer at warming up my voice before I can hit those high notes reliably and on pitch. It takes me a good half hour of working on it before I dare try to record. It also takes a lot of practice to be reliable when singing high.

This song is one I just put up today in the Show & Tell section. It hits a lot of fairly long, high F# notes and ends on a high A note. So this is right up at the top of my vocal range, the same upper end of my range that I had when I was 14 years old.

It takes more practice at singing just about anything in any range once a person gets older. Our vocal cords are just not as flexible and pliable as they were when we were younger.

- Glenn
Old 12-04-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Many singers lose some of their high range as they age, particular beyond age 60. As has been commented on already, smoking never helps.

I never beat up my voice too badly over the years, and so even at age 72 my upper range is as good as it ever was. However, at my current age I have to work harder and longer at warming up my voice before I can hit those high notes reliably and on pitch. It takes me a good half hour of working on it before I dare try to record. It also takes a lot of practice to be reliable when singing high.

This song is one I just put up today in the Show & Tell section. It hits a lot of fairly long, high F# notes and ends on a high A note. So this is right up at the top of my vocal range, the same upper end of my range that I had when I was 14 years old.

It takes more practice at singing just about anything in any range once a person gets older. Our vocal cords are just not as flexible and pliable as they were when we were younger.

- Glenn

Excellent....Whew Thats high...lol
Old 12-04-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

It's a real thing, as others have noted. You'll also find that many performers will come down half a step in concert even if they haven't aged much. The reason being that in the studio you get as many takes as you need to hit those high notes smoothly and accurately; in concerts you have to nail it every time.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write