The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Default Beyerdynamic 770 DT Pro - Am I missing something?

I just got my new Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones today (80 ohm) with the intent of using them for recording and mixing, and I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I called Beyerdynamic and spoke to a rep about how I'd be using them (primarily plugged into my interface or directly into my MacBook Pro), and he suggested the 80 ohm version. I don't consider myself someone who likes to listen at particularly high levels, but plugged into my Steinberg UR22 interface, they're barely loud enough. They also have a lot of clarity at lower volumes, but they sound distorted and unpleasantly treble-heavy and sibilant at medium-high to high volumes.

I thought I'd be upgrading from my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Even though the Beyerdynamics seem to have more clarity at lower volumes, I definitely prefer the overall sound of the 280 Pros, and they sound much more similar to my Presonus Eris monitor speakers than the Beyerdynamics.

Am I crazy? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. And if so, would there be a more suitable upgrade from the 280 Pros and/or a companion open-back model that has a similar sound profile? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Your 280s are 64 ohm, so they're going to be louder than the 770s. The higher the ohm rating, the more power is needed to drive the headphones. But as headphones go, 80 is still a fairly low ohm rating. I don't know anything about your interface but it appears the headphone amplification is a bit lacking. The most obvious solution is to return them and get the 32 ohm version.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-24-2020, 08:56 PM

Thanks, I understand about the higher impedance not being as loud, but is that what would cause the distortion at a higher volume level (which isn't really that loud, but as in when I turn the headphones dial all the way up on my interface)?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac3317 View Post
Thanks, I understand about the higher impedance not being as loud, but is that what would cause the distortion at a higher volume level (which isn't really that loud, but as in when I turn the headphones dial all the way up on my interface)?
I don't know why you're getting distortion. My 770s don't do that. Perhaps the headphone amp in your interface distorts when pushed too hard.

YouTube
Old 11-25-2020, 08:21 AM

If the headphone amp and the phones are mismatched impedance wise it can cause problems. I hear a lot of people need to resort to a headphone amp when they get some better phones. There is a thread on GS about phones with your audio interface:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newb...interface.html
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 AM

My understanding is that they are intended to be plugged into an amp, rather than a Mac.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
My understanding is that they are intended to be plugged into an amp, rather than a Mac.
I'm sure most people are not using an amp and are plugging directly into their interface without any issue. I plug my 80 ohm 770s into my Apollo and they sound fine.

YouTube
Old 11-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Headphone impedance (pretty high) is one of the things (besides noise) that Julian Krause faults the Steinberg designs for because it does impact the response of things plugged in.

Not sure what you are hearing or why, because it shouldn't be that much different response than the 280s. Where did you get the headphones from?

P.S. I just compared the headphone out on my UR44C vs the Behringer headphone amp my DT770s (250Ω) are usually plugged into and did not hear any difference. Plenty loud with the knob at 12, and I think JK reviewed the newer models and found the headphone amps about the same.

P.P.S. You can see the impedance is really high and output power relatively low here (chart in JK video):
https://youtu.be/xwO9oqbhzes?t=665

Last edited by keith.rogers; 11-25-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:52 PM

I've never noticed anything like that with my DT 770s. I've had them plugged into a couple of interfaces, three different portable recorders, mp3 players, and a headphone distribution amp and they sound the same, just louder as the volume is increased.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac3317 View Post
I just got my new Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones today (80 ohm) with the intent of using them for recording and mixing, and I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong. I called Beyerdynamic and spoke to a rep about how I'd be using them (primarily plugged into my interface or directly into my MacBook Pro), and he suggested the 80 ohm version. I don't consider myself someone who likes to listen at particularly high levels, but plugged into my Steinberg UR22 interface, they're barely loud enough. They also have a lot of clarity at lower volumes, but they sound distorted and unpleasantly treble-heavy and sibilant at medium-high to high volumes.

I thought I'd be upgrading from my Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. Even though the Beyerdynamics seem to have more clarity at lower volumes, I definitely prefer the overall sound of the 280 Pros, and they sound much more similar to my Presonus Eris monitor speakers than the Beyerdynamics.

Am I crazy? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. And if so, would there be a more suitable upgrade from the 280 Pros and/or a companion open-back model that has a similar sound profile? Thanks!
The 32 Ohm version is optimized for the audio output of computers and mobile devices. I've got some DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm and I'm very happy with them. Some interfaces have cheap and crappy headphone outs. I use a headphone amp with my DT 770s, that way up to 4 people can listen at the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD