The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-20-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I was at an open mic and someone got up, poised and confident, and banged through Meredith Willson's "Til There Was You" using exactly three cowboy chords. She sang it okay, actually. The audience gave this lady a big round of enthusiastic applause, and I remember thinking "Are they being polite, or can they not tell the difference, or am I the only one who's not in on the joke?"

There's a lesson in there somewhere, and I'm still not sure what it is.
I know some highly talented performers that can play any song if they've heard it. The audience never notices that the chords may be completely inaccurate and accept it as being true and correct. As long as the song is recognizable in the right areas they are good with it. I've watched many performances where the singer is shape and the guitar player sounds like he is playing in the wrong key and the crowd goes wild. I've been complemented on playing a SRV song that I never played and I believe that had to do with just the over all sound.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-20-2020, 05:57 PM

Default fun but not easy

I have been working on a piece and almost every time I go through it I delete or add a few notes. I don't care much if the changes make it harder or easier to play, but I have had to go to the 'woodshed' a few times to get the fingers to comply. Once something fits in and raises the level of the song, that's it, it has to be learned; otherwise it seems sort of half-baked.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:29 PM

I often use writing music as an excuse to learn or polish new techniques. As as a result, my arrangements or original pieces tend to be relatively difficult, sometimes even at the cost of the overall sound of the piece.

For example, here is an original song of mine that pieces together various techniques throughout the song, even though at times I truly feel like their implementation comes as a detriment to the overall listenability of the song lol.

https://youtu.be/A-aILg04MwE
Old 11-25-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetPreston View Post
I often use writing music as an excuse to learn or polish new techniques. As as a result, my arrangements or original pieces tend to be relatively difficult, sometimes even at the cost of the overall sound of the piece.

For example, here is an original song of mine that pieces together various techniques throughout the song, even though at times I truly feel like their implementation comes as a detriment to the overall listenability of the song lol.

https://youtu.be/A-aILg04MwE
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. The Pachelbel canon chord progression is a very popular one.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-25-2020, 06:22 PM

Thanks, Rick.

Yea it is lol. I was working on Memories by Maroon 5 just before creating this one, which I think takes an even more egregious take on the chord progression (and melody), and still had a strong attraction to that kind of sound.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Difficulty is not a goal in itself but rather can be a byproduct of composing the elements of what you want to hear in the tune. You can play it safe of course and leave some things out completely or search for easier work arounds. Who is doing what and why is my interest.
Hi r-s

I agree. I've seen too many 'compositions' which are more while gymnastic workouts they are less than musical.

I'm not writing to challenge my physical or mental capabilities, but to express my musical ideas.

I'm old fashioned (some would say just old), but I like melody, and harmony. I tend to remember tunes I can at least hum along with.

Carl Miner - who plays many of the demos for North American Guitar (YouTube) is one of the tastiest players I've ever heard. His short demos are like mini-concerts.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write