The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Default mic placement for fingerstyle guitar duets

I've got this week off work, and am trying to finish up my current recording project, a 2nd cd of celtic guitar arrangements. I want to record a second guitar on some tracks, and am wondering about mic placement.

I have been using my Gefell M300's setup as a spaced pair for all my tracks. For a second guitar part would spaced pair as well be ok, and then each guitar could be panned left/right a bit?
Old 11-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Consider recording each part with just one mic.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

I did the duets I did with Teja with spaced pairs on each of us. There are potential issues, tho. Using mono for each guitar seems the most obvious. I wish I'd used MS for our duets, as it lets you easy go from mono to any degree of stereo you want.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Yea i guess that was my other thought, record each guitar mono and perhaps pan them more. I'd have to record my main part for this piece, but that is not a super big deal.

Or now that I have a 414 I could do M/S with the Gefell, and have the option to go mono. Maybe I'll try that tonight.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

If you have the mikes you certainly could try a spaced pair on each instrument and make mike contribution decisions post recording. Probably more work but perhaps more post recording options.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-23-2020, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

The primary issue I've run into with using spaced pairs is that when you pan one way you get a different sound (bridge vs neck). Its rarely a big problem, because I've never wanted to pan hard left or right - usually a very small amount is all you need. And you can always flip channels if you want to pan one guitar to a side, but the other mic sounds better.

Another option that seems useful is the vertical XY setup that Bob Womack often mentions. In that mic setup, you get a stereo image, but both channels sound very similar, so when you pan to a side, you don't get the same degree of tonal change. Could be viewed as a pro or con.

Yet another approach would be to mic two guitarists with a single stereo mic setup. Many of Fran Guidry's duets with Led Kaapana are done that way. Since you're doing it alone, you could set up 2 chairs, mic as if you were micing 2 guitarists and then switch chairs between parts. That way you'd get a natural stereo soundstage for 2 guitarists, with a realistic amount of bleed on the opposing channels. I haven't tried this, tho, and it seems like a lot of work :-)
Old 11-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
..now that I have a 414 I could do M/S with the Gefell, and have the option to go mono..
This is my plan for recording a duo album I'm doing with Jamie Stillway in a few months.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Got everything setup, hopefully I can get some good takes late tonight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD