The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-23-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Hot Rod Steel Old Skool Tricone Issues

Ok y’all, I gotta make this quick and dirty, so I’ll skip the pleasantries for now. And apologies ahead of time if this is going into the wrong forum, but I'm under the gun a bit here! So I bought a Hot Rod Steel Old Skool tricone from a shop out on the West Coast and found some issues upon receiving it yesterday.

Number one, there seems to be a potential crack (or two) in the neck that may grow over time. Or it could just be cracks in the finish! I need a little help determining if this is enough cause for concern to go through with returning it as the shop has agreed to give me a refund if that’s what I want to do.

Number two, the Highlander Magnophonic pickup has some issues. It produces sound, but outputs loud, short spikes in volume on more vigorous strums, then immediately returns to the norm. I spoke with the folks at Highlander today and they said that since it’s producing sound the pickup might be perfectly fine and this might be an installation issue.

I’m really digging this guitar, and am not finding much else out there in the reso world right now that fits the bill as well in this price range. So now I’m starting to second guess returning it for a refund, and really would like some opinions primarily on the neck, since the seller has indicated they’d work with me to get the pickup fixed. Images of the small cracks are attached below. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I need to make a decision likely by tomorrow to either keep her or get her back to FedEx. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (24.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (20.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (21.7 KB, 94 views)
Taylor 914CE
Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
Gibson J185CE
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Martin Custom 175th Anniversary
Martin D15
Martin SPD16R
Martin D18
Larrivee CS-5
Larrivee LV-10
Guild F-45CE
Takamine TNV340S
Takamine G Series
Republic Tricone Resonator
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Old 10-23-2020, 07:13 PM

Those don’t look like finish cracks in the heel of the neck to me. I would return the guitar for a full refund in a heartbeat if I was in your position.

There are plenty of excellent quality resonator instruments out there, and you can do much better.

In my opinion this is not a nuanced situation. To ship out an instrument with the flaws this guitar has is a major red flag, and it’s not going to get any better.

Get out of this deal any way you can and don’t do business with them again.

Normally when people post about perceived problems with new guitar purchases I’m the guy advising them to get any small problems taken care of locally, and to avoid turning a mountain into a molehill.

Not this time. Your best bet is to return the guitar and get your money back.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-23-2020, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the input, Wade! I sure am glad I posted tonight because I'd nearly convinced myself it was something I could live with. It's folks like you that make these kinds of communities so worthwhile! I reckon I'll get her packed up and sent back to the left-coast. My tricone search continues!
Taylor 914CE
Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
Gibson J185CE
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Martin Custom 175th Anniversary
Martin D15
Martin SPD16R
Martin D18
Larrivee CS-5
Larrivee LV-10
Guild F-45CE
Takamine TNV340S
Takamine G Series
Republic Tricone Resonator
Voyage Air VAOM-04
Old 10-24-2020, 12:14 AM

Folks like you make this forum worthwhile, as well. All I did was give you my gut reaction, which in this case is harsher than it usually is.

Keep looking for the Tricone dream guitar you’re searching for.

whm
Old 10-24-2020, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Definitely return it.

That heal crack will continue to open up. And those Highlanders are a PITAS to install correctly.

I used to own Busker Guitars, so I've seen a few resos!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:56 AM

Angry

If you do some research, that company has had a load of issues in the past,me included. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot
pole!
Old 10-24-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiezara View Post
If you do some research, that company has had a load of issues in the past,me included. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot
pole!
Highlander?
Old 10-25-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Highlander?
No, Hot Rod Resos. There have been issues with of a LOT of people.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by Teleplucker; 10-28-2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: inappropriate comment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments