The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The orange peel type finish is their Crystal Ice, used on the sides and back; I'm not aware of any example of that used on the top. I am a fan of the Crystal Ice finish; I ordered that on the sides and back of the X10. It adds a contrast interest with the glossy top. The satin finish is something relatively new for Emerald, and not the same as the Crystal Ice finish.
Thanks Jim. The Crystal Ice does add an interesting finish.

The picture that I saw, and can't find now, had that Ice finish on the headstock.

I'd like to have a truss rod cover at the headstock. The three Emerald examples I've seen so far aren't particularly well finished in the truss access hole.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
Nice! Congratulations.

I've seen an Emerald with a very heavy satin finish - almost like orange peal. Does the satin finish on yours feel any different than typically seen on wood guitars? Is the satin upgrade a binary choice - yes/no - or are their variations to specify? I'd like the "lightest" finish possible I guess.

Thanks
Tough to answer since carbon fiber is such a different material than wood. Your question is probably best directed to Emerald, but I thought it was a binary choice, gloss or satin....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-18-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

RP--Enjoy playing your new 12 string! It too really like the satin finish.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-18-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
Thanks Jim. The Crystal Ice does add an interesting finish.

The picture that I saw, and can't find now, had that Ice finish on the headstock.

I'd like to have a truss rod cover at the headstock. The three Emerald examples I've seen so far aren't particularly well finished in the truss access hole.
There's a nice example of an X10 with Crystal Ice back and sides in the most recent shipping video, at around 6:11.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-18-2021, 04:12 PM

I was asked if I wanted only the neck in satin but I didn’t explore that. It was binary other than that as far as I was aware.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

And while we're on the subject of finish options, I had my X20-7 done in amber on the top and headstock, but with black back and sides - both in the standard gloss.

That was a no-cost option 18 months ago - also not advertised. It just occurred to me one day after I'd ordered it, so I asked, and they were happy to do it.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-18-2021, 04:36 PM

JRH, the satin neck is shot in gloss like the rest of the body then sanded down to satin later, if requested. At least that was the case before they started recently offering a satin finish for entire guitars. When I inquired during the build of my custom 2017 X20-12 toward the end of the build, I asked about satin neck and this is what I was told. There was no extra charge then but I opted to leave it glossy like my other Emerald's. I can always sand it myself later if really desired.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber