The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2022, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I decided to try an alternative mic'ing setup to further capture the guitar's sound and a recent arrangement I made. I think I'm more of a fan of the stereo pair up-close like we did in the previous sound clips - a bit more direct with more emphasis on the voice -but the single large diaphragm used here adds a bit of air and room sound, which isn't bad either. This strings were honestly in need of some extra play time as they're pretty crisp as well, however, just a different flavor

Last edited by Dustinfurlow; 01-27-2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:51 PM

Sounds fantastic. I've been thinking about getting a small recording set-up and it helps to know what you used in your videos and your thoughts on how the recordings differ.

What capo are you using? It looks like a G7th Heritage and I'm in search of a good capo for my Taran that can handle the 12" radius at the nut and 16" further up the fretboard...along with the 1.82 nut width. One more quick question...are you using 12-56 strings? Rory seems to build a lot of his guitars for 12-56 and I'm thinking about just trying a set of Daddario XS lights on mine.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-27-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volman View Post
One more quick question...are you using 12-56 strings? Rory seems to build a lot of his guitars for 12-56 and I'm thinking about just trying a set of Daddario XS lights on mine.
Dropping my opinion on this one as I've just been experimenting. I prefer 12-53s on mine (and have just put the XS lights on and like them very much). I find the 6th string a bit more open and resonant and better balanced with the other strings. I felt like the 56 choked it up a little. So for my money, definitely worth the experiment.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Dropping my opinion on this one as I've just been experimenting. I prefer 12-53s on mine (and have just put the XS lights on and like them very much). I find the 6th string a bit more open and resonant and better balanced with the other strings. I felt like the 56 choked it up a little. So for my money, definitely worth the experiment.
I must agree, in the clip above I had a 0.13 on the top but that's about all I ever modify to my normal 12-53. Just helps melodies in DADGAD feel more hearty. If I was recording something down to C or B I might add a 56.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-27-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
That's awesome feedback...I really appreciate that. The guitar came with an old set of Elixir lights on it, so I have had a hint of how it would compare but I swapped them over to 12-56 pretty quickly. I thought using the strings it was built for would be a good starting point and then go from there. I agree with your statement on the 56 choking things up as that has been what I thought I was hearing...not that it sounds bad by any means, but it did feel like a touch of note clarity was lost when moving to 12-56.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-27-2022, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volman View Post
That's awesome feedback...I really appreciate that. The guitar came with an old set of Elixir lights on it, so I have had a hint of how it would compare but I swapped them over to 12-56 pretty quickly. I thought using the strings it was built for would be a good starting point and then go from there. I agree with your statement on the 56 choking things up as that has been what I thought I was hearing...not that it sounds bad by any means, but it did feel like a touch of note clarity was lost when moving to 12-56.
Something fun to do is use some real 13-56 mediums and tune it down a half or full step so it gets the sustain and "snap" back, I've yet to do that with my Beag but I think it's time

Old 04-13-2022, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Okay folks, sorry to revive this but I really had to share this :- )

Aside from being a great friend, Trevor Gordon Hall is probably my favorite steel string player alive, so it was a huge joy hearing him play a couple on my favorite guitar before his concert. Recorded in the conference room at Artisan Guitar Show, Just the on-camera mic was available but still wonderful tone from this clip.

Trevor’s latest album “This Beautiful Chaos” (which includes this tune) is available at the website in the comments and I highly recommend it.

Cheers and hope all is well.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:41 PM

just... wow.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Definitely worth reviving the thread for this, thank you Dustin. Beyond the chops, this is just so darned musical. Also, I chuckled around 1:25-1:27 when TGH hits the chord higher up on the neck and we hear a grunt of approval/admiration/surprise/awe not quite sure what it was but I made a similar sound.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Happy Friday AGF,

Wanted to close this thread with a tune written and recorded with this guitar, simply entitled “Scotland”. Might've kept this thread going by a few posts but just adding this now for fun and hoping a small bump of inspiration reaches others as a final thank you.

This video is a small culmination of memories, scenes, and words that stayed with me well after returning to the homestead a few months ago - made possible entirely from the collaboration of a few talented friends and the beautiful landscapes and towns around eastern Scotland. Grateful to share, finally.

Thank you Taran Guitars for the brilliant guitar and warm hospitality and everyone who has followed along!

Enjoy the weekend!

Old 04-23-2022, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Happy Friday AGF,

Wanted to close this thread with a tune written and recorded with this guitar, simply entitled “Scotland”. Might've kept this thread going by a few posts but just adding this now for fun and hoping a small bump of inspiration reaches others as a final thank you.

This video is a small culmination of memories, scenes, and words that stayed with me well after returning to the homestead a few months ago - made possible entirely from the collaboration of a few talented friends and the beautiful landscapes and towns around eastern Scotland. Grateful to share, finally.

Thank you Taran Guitars for the brilliant guitar and warm hospitality and everyone who has followed along!

Enjoy the weekend!

Sounds great,.Dustin and the guitar suits you to a T!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop