The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2022, 04:51 AM

Rory sent me a tease... Arhhhrrrh ;-) - one week to go subject to all things settling nicely before final set up...

Adi top showing nice cross silking, and the colour of the burl bevel and BLk/purpleheart/MRW/Purpleheart/Blk perfling - nice ... but last few days is painful

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mZmumk]
Old 01-27-2022, 08:19 AM

Beautiful stuff. Not long to wait now. And it will be so worth waiting for.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Rory is cruel

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-27-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Rory is cruel
To be fair, I was pushing... but then he gives me a tiny glimpse before retreating back into the dark realms of the works shop LOL
Old 01-30-2022, 04:46 PM

I will hazard a guess and say that the possibility of you not loving this guitar is zero. The best woods, an amazing builder, a great design and concept, other-worldly craftsmanship. You are going to love this guitar!
Old 01-30-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
To be fair, I was pushing... but then he gives me a tiny glimpse before retreating back into the dark realms of the works shop LOL
Lol, thats a brilliant way of putting it. Those boys get into a serious "flow" on a daily basis and of that I am a bit jealous. 8-10 hour days doing what you love and forgetting all else.

I remember having vivid "work" dreams when I waited tables in a restaurant 7-11 hrs a night for many months, I bet they have the same.. Wake up in a cold sweat thinking they accidentally over-bent a side or chiseled a top brace into oblivion....lol

Old 01-30-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
I will hazard a guess and say that the possibility of you not loving this guitar is zero. The best woods, an amazing builder, a great design and concept, other-worldly craftsmanship. You are going to love this guitar!
I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Agreed. I have known Rory for 10 years and played many of his builds and seen them evolved from great custom instruments to world class - with the build quality always being second to none. It took a while to save and afford it, but 3 days to go (pick up on Thursday pm UK time)...

My brief to him was also not to build something that simply suits my simple current style, but an instrument that will challenge me, one that will make me want to improve to get the best from it... no short cuts. The fact it will sound, play and look stunning will keep it out of its case ;-)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Lol, thats a brilliant way of putting it. Those boys get into a serious "flow" on a daily basis and of that I am a bit jealous. 8-10 hour days doing what you love and forgetting all else.

I remember having vivid "work" dreams when I waited tables in a restaurant 7-11 hrs a night for many months, I bet they have the same.. Wake up in a cold sweat thinking they accidentally over-bent a side or chiseled a top brace into oblivion....lol
Haha.. Mine was that it was actually finished before Christmas, but there was an accident of some kind and the Bridge came off, but instead of glueing back on in normal way/placed, it have been placed at an angle (like for a multi scale) and used some sort of strange metal fixings - Very odd and ugly, but that's is dreams for you
Old 01-31-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
Haha.. Mine was that it was actually finished before Christmas, but there was an accident of some kind and the Bridge came off, but instead of glueing back on in normal way/placed, it have been placed at an angle (like for a multi scale) and used some sort of strange metal fixings - Very odd and ugly, but that's is dreams for you
Ha ha ha. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one with insane dreams during this whole thing! I think it just shows how emotionally involved we are in the project. Hope you have a GREAT day on Thursday.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Ha ha ha. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one with insane dreams during this whole thing! I think it just shows how emotionally involved we are in the project. Hope you have a GREAT day on Thursday.
Thanks Martin! Maybe one day we can meet at Rory's, would be great to hear yours as well :-)
Old 02-03-2022, 12:36 PM

There are times when words fail - when things are way beyond expectations, its very difficult to describe, I am not sure how to describe this wonderful instrument. I now know what recent Taran owners mean when they just need to let all it sink in and play a little... Its been an overwhelming experience today and all I can say to Rory and team is... Thank you. It will be having some pro photos taken in next few week and will post some then with more of a description, but right now a few iPhone pics

It took a lot to twist Rory's arm to let me have a bit of bling, but the pink paua abalone is subtle and beautiful in with these woods

272184000_493159722238041_8526517161396790605_n by frankscousin, on Flickr

The signature Scottish burl elm on the bevel... yum yum yum

271930723_1013417439254986_5948177112377836340_n by frankscousin, on Flickr

Simple front view

272930523_953708138599466_6566789247870230896_n by frankscousin, on Flickr

Full view - elegant Oreval lines

259453148_772143437078581_53666918526539688_n by frankscousin, on Flickr

.... and that Dalbergia Baronii... cant believe how beautiful its is

271538658_333911488631406_5156391417492219479_n by frankscousin, on Flickr

As to how it sounds... well all I can say right now is that I was stunned at the responsiveness and balance - just phenomenal

Playability? Set up was just incredible - intonation perfect (dont need Plek when its this good)

More to follow, but thank you all for following.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:52 PM

Good heavens—that is magnificent!

<swoons and falls off chair>

Old 02-03-2022, 03:19 PM

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat. I'm so happy for you. Have a wonderful time getting to know it. I know you will. Hopefully get to meet at some point and compare and contrast.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

OOF.. I really adore the finish they're using, it is thin but sturdy-feeling and lets the beauty of the wood stand out, Exhibit A......

Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
dowling, taran guitars