The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-19-2021, 07:59 PM

Default The Short Life of the Octajo

I am a lifelong musician with a background in concert performing and music therapy. In recent years, I have been collaborating with Gold Tone on some interesting projects - the Octajo, which is no longer available, being one of them. The Octajo represents a beautiful synthesis of banjo and mandolin family instruments. Strung with nylon strings, as in this video, the Octajo can have a sweet voice (especially for a banjo) with huge depth of tone. When I was approached by Gold Tone to try to get something going with the Octajo, I specified that it be set up with a raised fingerboard (which I call a neck-lift) and nylon strings. When the instrument hit the market, it brought the house down...on itself, that is; people weren't exactly lining up around the block to buy it, and, as happens with experiments that don't take off, it vanished into thin air. I sold the one I had to an oud player who reached out to it as a crossover instrument. If it weren't for the fact that I swim in a bathtub full of instruments, I'd regret letting it go. It had a special voice, and now it's a collectors item (you never know when you're going to need an Octajo in the tub).

PS If you're interested in the possibility of a Gold Tone instrument and want to talk about it, feel free to get in touch.
Paul (970) 731-3117

Last edited by Paul Roberts; 12-19-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:29 PM

Here's the rest of my Octajo archive.

[/YOUTUBE]hOpMFaEHIbA[/YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]zYTuxy59sww[/YOUTUBE]

Old 12-23-2021, 01:05 AM

Thanks for posting this. That's a cool instrument. It's too bad it didn't get enough attention. How long ago was this and how much were they asking for one?
Old 12-23-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuksan View Post
Thanks for posting this. That's a cool instrument. It's too bad it didn't get enough attention. How long ago was this and how much were they asking for one?
I began promoting the Octajo in October, 2014 when I received the prototype. The going price was $900. The one that was customized for me had nylon strings and raised fingerboard. The Octajos Gold Tone made for other retailers had metal strings and no raised fingerboard. I had a lot of fun developing a finger-style technique on the instrument. Although I didn't end up keeping one for myself, being one who likes to wander different paths, I found the experience motivating and fulfilling, as a means of boosting my musical inspiration and creativity.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Roberts View Post

I am a lifelong musician with a background in concert performing and music therapy. In recent years, I have been collaborating with Gold Tone on some interesting projects - the Octajo, which is no longer available, being one of them. The Octajo represents a beautiful synthesis of banjo and mandolin family instruments. Strung with nylon strings, as in this video, the Octajo can have a sweet voice (especially for a banjo) with huge depth of tone. When I was approached by Gold Tone to try to get something going with the Octajo, I specified that it be set up with a raised fingerboard (which I call a neck-lift) and nylon strings. When the instrument hit the market, it brought the house down...on itself, that is; people weren't exactly lining up around the block to buy it, and, as happens with experiments that don't take off, it vanished into thin air. I sold the one I had to an oud player who reached out to it as a crossover instrument. If it weren't for the fact that I swim in a bathtub full of instruments, I'd regret letting it go. It had a special voice, and now it's a collectors item (you never know when you're going to need an Octajo in the tub).

PS If you're interested in the possibility of a Gold Tone instrument and want to talk about it, feel free to get in touch.
Paul (970) 731-3117

Wayne and Robin are good people. I have a condo in Titusville a mile away from the factory. I’ve played live gigs with some of the guys who work there and with Wayne at an open mic. Heading down there on Saturday and look forward to seeing what they’re up to.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:42 PM

It's a very unusual and fortunate thing, to have a musical instrument manufacturing company that continually drives the creative impulses of musicians with its seemingly never-ending stream of innovative products, always attempting to broaden the color palette of possibilities for musical exploration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments