The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-08-2020, 10:20 AM

Default national resonator help

I'm going to take the dive and get a national resonator and I've always loved the swampy bluesy sound of them, and love the styles of ry cooder, catfish keith etc. I've narrowed my choice down to the nation reso rocket or the el trovador. Could anybody who has experience with either give me advice/opinions on either one and which one may fit my wants more? Any info is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Of the two models you mentioned, the El Trovador is the one I would get. I've just liked the sound a bit better - it's sweeter and woodier.

But that's down to personal taste. What kind of use would you be putting the guitar to?

El Trovador cutaway

whm
Old 05-08-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Of the two models you mentioned, the El Trovador is the one I would get. I've just liked the sound a bit better - it's sweeter and woodier.

But that's down to personal taste. What kind of use would you be putting the guitar to?

El Trovador cutaway

whm
Basically I would be using the guitar to write on, and mostly at home playing and occasional studio use and use on shows but wouldnt be a staple in a live show situation,only a song or 2 per show, and also used as playing slide and regular playing
Old 05-08-2020, 07:44 PM

I own both. Personally, I like the sound of both. Completely different, brass and wood. There is also a Steel ResoRocket. However, if I had to get rid of one, it would be the ResoRocket. It's just so darn heavy I don't enjoy playing it as much as the as the much lighter El Trovador. But is sure sounds nice. Of course the RR has a VERY bright sound compared to the wood El T. I bought my RR from Catfish Keith a few years ago. If you haven't already, call Catfish. Really nice guy. I spoke and emailed with him quite a while before buying from him.

https://reverb.com/shop/why-i-love-n...-catfish-keith

Here's Mike comparing the two. The El Trovador isn't a cutaway. But later National made the cutaway model for Mike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIrWKIzgETg

Here's Mike with the cutway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs36YmioG78

And here's Steve playing a Wood ResoRocket. I wouldn't mind owning one of these also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOnkGlwNzU

Didn't see your 2nd post before posting. Either sounds great fingers only or slide.

'17 National El Trovador cutaway
'16 National ResoRocket N
'14 Martin CS-00S-14 Honduras Rosewood/Swiss Spruce 12fret short scale
'12 Stehr Brazilian/Sinker Redwood 12fret short scale
'11 Taylor Spring LTD Macassar/Cedar 12fret short scale
'11 Taylor NS74ce Rosewood/Cedar
'10 Taylor Doyle Dykes Maple/Sitka DDSM short scale
'04 Taylor 914ce L7 Brazilian/Englemann
'71 Gibson SJ Deluxe

Last edited by Lakedaisy; 05-08-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added last line.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

I have owned a steel Resorocket and I currently own a wooden Resorocket. It’s my favorite National. I would also really like to own an El Trovador cutaway. Those look cool also.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedaisy View Post
I own both. Personally, I like the sound of both. Completely different, brass and wood. There is also a Steel ResoRocket. However, if I had to get rid of one, it would be the ResoRocket. It's just so darn heavy I don't enjoy playing it as much as the as the much lighter El Trovador. But is sure sounds nice. Of course the RR has a VERY bright sound compared to the wood El T. I bought my RR from Catfish Keith a few years ago. If you haven't already, call Catfish. Really nice guy. I spoke and emailed with him quite a while before buying from him.

https://reverb.com/shop/why-i-love-n...-catfish-keith

Here's Mike comparing the two. The El Trovador isn't a cutaway. But later National made the cutaway model for Mike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIrWKIzgETg

Here's Mike with the cutway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs36YmioG78

And here's Steve playing a Wood ResoRocket. I wouldn't mind owning one of these also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOnkGlwNzU

Didn't see your 2nd post before posting. Either sounds great fingers only or slide.
Thanks for all the info. They both sound great!!! I like the sound of the wood resorocket as it seems a little louder and more punchy in volume. That's the one that seems to get the more swampy blues, delta blues sound and feel, would you agree?
Old 05-09-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I have owned a steel Resorocket and I currently own a wooden Resorocket. It’s my favorite National. I would also really like to own an El Trovador cutaway. Those look cool also.
do you think the resorocket is a bigger sound? both the reso and trovador sound so nice its hard to make a decision, but I have decided to go with wood for either considering it will be a warmer sound and much lighter in weight.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I have only heard the ET that Mike Dowling plays. I've taken several classes with him at Swannanoa so I did get to hear it up close and in person. I have not heard the cutaway version but I doubt it sounds much different.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those models. If price is a factor you will probably have better luck finding a used woodenRocket because they have been around longer.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:07 AM

If you're like me playing slide, I play up to the 15th fret, certainly use the 12th fret a lot. For me, a 14 fret neck joint or a cutaway are pretty useful.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:42 PM

OP here. I placed my order with National and ordered a reso rocket wood body. I went way over my budget but it should be a great resonator. about a 4 month wait for it to be built as I had some customizing done.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:21 PM

Congratulations on placing your order! The team at National are great to work with!
Old 06-04-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
OP here. I placed my order with National and ordered a reso rocket wood body. I went way over my budget but it should be a great resonator. about a 4 month wait for it to be built as I had some customizing done.
After you get your reso, you will soon forget that you went over your budget, because you got exactly what you wanted, and you're going to have a great time playing it. Congrats!
Old 06-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Model O for sale on the steel guitar forum. It’s a 2001, asking 1600.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

You will love it!
Old 06-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
If you're like me playing slide, I play up to the 15th fret, certainly use the 12th fret a lot. For me, a 14 fret neck joint or a cutaway are pretty useful.
+1 14-frets to the neck/body joint is why I ordered a Republic Duolian.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments