The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Default No need to worry about CITES any more?

https://www.namm.org/ISSUES-AND-ADVO...goKPVFhhf57j40

Am I interpreting this right?

We can now ship finished instruments over the borders?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 PM

As I read it, the meeting at which they would have considered the proposal to amend annotation #15 that was supposed to have been on May 23 to June 3 was postponed indefinitely. So problem not solved yet.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 PM

That is correct - the CITES convention in Sri Lanka which was going to discuss the exemption/amendments for musical instruments was postponed due to the recent terrorist attack there and there is no information as to when it will be rescheduled to.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 PM

Default They're gonna get right on it . . .

I'm sure they're in the process of developing recommendations for initiating a task force to study suggestions for implementing a revised plan to consider the proposal to amend annotation #15.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:31 PM

Give them time. This is a huge organization with an enormous scope, and it doesn’t move fast. At least when they’re wrong, they acknowledge it and are willing to adopt amendments

And it will mean more guitars able to travel across more borders, and there’s nothing but good in that.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

Still wouldn't buy a new build with Brazilian or Madagascar. EIR - fine.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong with a nice set of EIR but, to be pedantic, CITES view BRW and Madagascan rosewood very differently. BRW is appendix 1 and regulated far more strictly than all the other rosewoods, maddie included.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
But If I, living in the US, were to buy a new guitar with BRW, say from Pre*War, and never planned on leaving the US why would CITES matter? I'm curious because I don't know much about this. Would this only be a concern for people moving from country to country?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
But If I, living in the US, were to buy a new guitar with BRW, say from Pre*War, and never planned on leaving the US why would CITES matter? I'm curious because I don't know much about this. Would this only be a concern for people moving from country to country?
CITES restricts the movement of named, endangered species between countries. If you buy it in one country and never take it out of that country it currently has no direct influence on you.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Those living in small countries with limited sized markets need to think about international resale when they purchase a high end guitar. Here in the US it’s not as much of concern since were likely to be able to buy and sell within our own borders. Not true for many others on AGF outside the US.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Quote:
@UncleJesse: I believe Andrew was taking a moral position due to the harvesting of these woods (he has written on this in other threads, and he is not alone), not expressing concern over import/export regulations.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
@UncleJesse: I believe Andrew was taking a moral position due to the harvesting of these woods (he has written on this in other threads, and he is not alone), not expressing concern over import/export regulations.
Except that new guitars being made of BRW in the US (such as the $20,000 Martin D-28 Brazilian) are made from “pre-CITES” inventory. Buying such an instrument has zero impact on the current sustainability of these trees.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Except that new guitars being made of BRW in the US (such as the $20,000 Martin D-28 Brazilian) are made from “pre-CITES” inventory. Buying such an instrument has zero impact on the current sustainability of these trees.
Creates demand.

hunter
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Creates demand.

hunter
Hello again!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Those living in small countries with limited sized markets need to think about international resale when they purchase a high end guitar.
It's not just resale, most of those high end instruments simply aren't available to begin with. And it's not just the 'boutique' stuff. Makers like Waterloo, Eastman, Furch, Breedlove etc have no presence in small countries like my own. I have to check the specs of any guitar I'm interested in importing in detail - it may have an ebony bridge and fingerboard but is that a rosewood overlay on the headstock? Does the seller's description match the manufacturers? It's all rather frustrating.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion