The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM

Indeed, this forum is a great place. Many thanks to all who keep it that way.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 PM

I definitely echo what's been said. I've had the honor of meeting up with several SoCal forum members and developed friendships beyond just here on AGF. Looking at the "Join Date" of everyone who's posted on this thread so far, I'm surprised to see I've been around the longest at 15 years. Yikes!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing. It's great to hear about thoughtful and generous acts.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:43 PM

Default A wondeful forum, for sure!

I'm a 53yr old newbie, playing for almost a year. I read, and read, and read (!!!) the posts here and s-l-o-w-l-y pick up little things along the way. I have learned so much from this forum, and am truly appreciative to all the people on here, experts to novice (like me). Nothing but sincere and honest conversations from so many backgrounds... It's an amazing place to peruse! Thanks to ALL on here! Cheers!!!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert View Post
I definitely echo what's been said. I've had the honor of meeting up with several SoCal forum members and developed friendships beyond just here on AGF. Looking at the "Join Date" of everyone who's posted on this thread so far, I'm surprised to see I've been around the longest at 15 years. Yikes!
You wanna conspire on an acoustic jam somewhere here in SoCal this summer. I'd game for helping throw it together.

Please advise,
Scott
Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Let me add my "thanks to a great forum" to all who help make it so.
This is my favorite forum. I visit every night when I go on-line.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:35 AM

Scott wrote:

"It seems to me there should be a time where we could arrange some regional acoustic jams together and play, chat, nosh, etc. If anyone would be interested in SoCal in helping me put together one this summer, I have two excellent venues in Van Nuys and/or Pasadena."

I'm from way up North, but my Son lives in Burbank and I would make the trek to participate in an AGF event if it comes together.
I actually reached to a couple members last year about this very thing, but it didn't work out.
Count me in, and I'll arrive early to help set up chairs.

And speaking of gratitude toward Moderatators, I note our friend Glennwillow's comment.
Many of us know, but some may not, that he was a Mod for many years.
A steady hand and eye was he at the helm.
Thankyou Glenn for your service!!

And to combine these two, Glenn performed at my musicfest last fall, and there's been some talk about an AGF gathering.
If interested, please reach my way and let's see about doing this.
My place is open and suitable for a Northwest AGF Event.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Brucebubs sent me some strings to try all the way from "Down Under" in Australia. He didn't charge me for them and the shipping was very expensive, which he also paid.
I'll figure out a way to repay his kindness somehow.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-13-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Thanks to the OP!

I want to give a shout out to the OP for posting a pick thread that got me thinking!

I played about 15 years, put it down for another 15, and picked it up again about a year ago. In all that time I never thought to even question the Tortex picks I'd used since the early 90s, but this weekend I went out to try a lot of what AGF folks mentioned and discovered a whole world of betterness I'll be exploring for a long time. So thanks to the whole community for opening my eyes!

As to the Mods - having myself been a moderator for most of a decade, I can tell you it's tough and terrible a lot of the time. The mods here seem to have done a fantastic job, though, and the results have been a blast to comb through. Thanks for having me and for the job you do!
Old 05-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Brucebubs sent me some strings to try all the way from "Down Under" in Australia. He didn't charge me for them and the shipping was very expensive, which he also paid.
Nice story, Rok. I was also sent a set strings by one of our finest members... a very generous act!

Thank you to all those speaking favorably about the mod staff. It is frequently a tough role. It's a challenge to keep the bad guys out and the good guys in. I've made a lot of friends here and for that, I'm very grateful. Thanks to all of you folks who make this such a great forum.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
JTo the Mods: Thank you for your selfless service in making this one of the best -- and most civil -- forums on the net. This doesn't happen on its own.
I'll second that.

In the early nineties, I participated in a number of CompuServe forums, all of which were moderated, and trolling and flame wars were not allowed.

In the last few years, a number of online publications have closed down their comments sections because of the troll problem.

Moderators, keep up the good work!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-13-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

This thread reminds me.... I wonder if the re-imagined Martin D-42 sound as good in my home as they do online.

Seriously, nice thread. Happy Monday, AGF peeps!
Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 PM

I spend many hours per week reading this forum, and I have to say, the members and posters here are really welcoming and full of encouragement and advice. Best acoustic forum on the internet, bar none.

Joe
Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycatzrock View Post
I spend many hours per week reading this forum, and I have to say, the members and posters here are really welcoming and full of encouragement and advice. Best acoustic forum on the internet, bar none.

'nuff said

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-13-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Musical minimalist

I've seen some pretty amazing things happen here, and I was once on the receiving end. For those of you who are "newer" than 2014 - 23 members pitched in and bought my Charis SJ back for me after I sold it due to family health issues and a decrease in my business income for a short period.

Every time I pull it out of the case I'm reminded there are still some wonderful people out there - and that alone has taken me through some rough times in the last few years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion