The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-18-2021, 08:44 AM

I have an arm rest on my F-style - a standard thing Phil Davidson makes for them. I don't have one on my A-style. Don't notice whether it's there or not to be honest.
I have got tone guards on both ... a few very skillful and thoughtful players I have talked to thought they might be of some value ... and they are also protective even if sonically they don't make much of a difference.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:51 AM

I use both. To me it seems to ring nicer with the time guard.

IMG_1632160242.116910.jpgIMG_1632160267.266197.jpg

Various stringed instruments
Old 09-22-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the pictures of how your armrest attaches to the body. It looks like the cork part of the armrest is fully touching the body? Am I seeing that correctly?

thanks,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 09-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
Thanks for the pictures of how your armrest attaches to the body. It looks like the cork part of the armrest is fully touching the body? Am I seeing that correctly?
Yes. It pretty much sits right on top of the binding and maybe a bit of the top. The pressure from those barrel (viola chinrest) clamps is just enough to hold it there, and the sides, along with binding/kerfing, provide plenty of support.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

I have an armrest on my mandolin. Not sure it has any direct effect on my tone but without it I tend to hold my arm too flat against the mandolin and it restricts the freedom of my picking hand. More comfortable with the armrest, too.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-23-2021, 10:23 AM

I have tone gards on all my acoustic mandolins, mandola and octave mandolin. Tony used to make custom gards based on measurements you sent him. He doesn't do that anymore; wish I could get one for my F4 mandocello. When I saw he also makes them for dreadnought guitars I got one for my Martin HD-28 too. They stay on all the time and fit even in the case. They work for me.

I have several arm rests. The best are by Steve Bell, who I don't believe is in business anymore. McClung by Doug Edwards are very good too. I used his as a template to make a couple of my own. I don't care at all for the small kidney shaped arm rests sold by Cumberland.

I've had to make my own hardware using long chin rest barrels (38 - 40 mm, available at various online violin shops) and a 6 - 40 die on 1/8" brass rod. Cutting the threads work hardens the brass surface causing it to break if you try to bend it after threading with the die.

I've put the stick-on John Pearse arm rests on several guitars (but not the HD-28).
Old 09-29-2021, 01:12 PM

I put a Tonegard on my Gibson F9.
Major improvement.

Yet, I still hunger for a F5G.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments