The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 04:18 PM

Default "Tonewood" of solid body guitars (ugh)

I frequent a couple different instrument forums. Mainly a bass player for years, one is talkbass.com, which is a really wonderful forum in many ways.

But check this out: what do "we" all (acoustic-oriented folks, especially luthiers) think about using the term "tonewood" to describe a solid slab used for the body of a solid body instrument?

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ton...-bass.1532676/

Let's have some fun with this one, shall we?
Old 09-27-2021, 04:34 PM

This is what I think of it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-27-2021, 05:52 PM

I am always taken aback at first when I hear this. Then I reflect: I know nothing about electrics. Maybe there is something to it other than appearance. Something I don't know. (There are lots of things I don't know.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:57 PM

The wood that solidbody electric guitars are made of definitely has an impact on the sound. You can play several electrics unplugged, note the differences between them, then plug them in and hear those differences again, only louder.

whm
Old 09-27-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The wood that solidbody electric guitars are made of definitely has an impact on the sound. You can play several electrics unplugged, note the differences between them, then plug them in and hear those differences again, only louder.

whm
Wade, I don't disagree. That it makes SOME difference. But what happens in these discussions is that it morphs into taking for granted that it has the SAME degree of impact as for example, spruce vs. cedar as an acoustic soundboard. IMO, the two comparisons are just not in the same ballpark.

And they call it "tonewood," which also bugs me. To me, a slab one or two inches thick is not a "tonewood" in the sense that, again, acoustic instruments are built with.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
But what happens in these discussions is that it morphs into taking for granted that it has the SAME degree of impact as for example, spruce vs. cedar as an acoustic soundboard. IMO, the two comparisons are just not in the same ballpark.
The difference can be rather shocking actually... here's an example of a shredder guitar w/ super high gain pickups, basswood/maple vs. torrefied ash:

https://youtu.be/U7v1UlfrMW0?t=294

There's a sizable attenuation in the highs that goes way beyond unit to unit variation and pot drift.

The difference between something more subtle, like alder vs. ash on a strat, is also pretty dang obvious to my ears.

Last edited by brandall10; 09-27-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:51 PM

There’s a reason why a Les Paul Custom has a hog body with a maple top.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 09-27-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Wade, I don't disagree. That it makes SOME difference. But what happens in these discussions is that it morphs into taking for granted that it has the SAME degree of impact as for example, spruce vs. cedar as an acoustic soundboard. IMO, the two comparisons are just not in the same ballpark.

And they call it "tonewood," which also bugs me. To me, a slab one or two inches thick is not a "tonewood" in the sense that, again, acoustic instruments are built with.

I disagree…the difference between a swamp ash Strat and an alder one, for example, is very noticeable
Old 09-27-2021, 07:18 PM

Wood matters on electric guitars, on both the neck and body (the neck may be even more important). Different woods affect the vibration and sustain of the instrument and therefore the strings, which in turn affects the sound amplified by the pickups. The difference(s) can be heard acoustically, although it's clearly the interplay between the pickups and the wood that determine its tone.

Not sure why you'd think acoustic guitar is the only arbiter of tone woods, nor do I understand why the idea disturbs you so much.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:

whm
But there's a big problem: a pickup works quite different from a piezo or an SBT. Piezos and SBT CAN. . . pick up from the wood; pickups don't.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-27-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post
Wood matters on electric guitars, on both the neck and body (the neck may be even more important). Different woods affect the vibration and sustain of the instrument and therefore the strings, which in turn affects the sound amplified by the pickups. The difference(s) can be heard acoustically, although it's clearly the interplay between the pickups and the wood that determine its tone.

Not sure why you'd think acoustic guitar is the only arbiter of tone woods, nor do I understand why the idea disturbs you so much.

But that's not "tonewood." The difference between, say, a Les Paul and a Strat don't have anything to do with wood and more from pickups, electronics, scale, etc. Electric guitars, particularly solidbody ones, work different from an acoustic.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-27-2021, 09:17 PM

I don’t want to get into “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin” territory and I’m not claiming that the wood in electric guitars has anywhere near the impact that the wood in an acoustic has.

But the individual set of wood in a solidbody electric guitar definitely has an impact.

whm
Old 09-27-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I don’t want to get into “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin” territory and I’m not claiming that the wood in electric guitars has anywhere near the impact that the wood in an acoustic has.

But the individual set of wood in a solidbody electric guitar definitely has an impact.

whm

My point is sustained when, for example, you A/B a Les Paul Standard and a Les Paul Special.
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-27-2021, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

I believe the wood has an impact, though not as significant an impact as with acoustics. The pickups and amp play a huge role as well.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
"[W]hat happens in these discussions is that it morphs into taking for granted that it has the SAME degree of impact as for example, spruce vs. cedar as an acoustic soundboard. IMO, the two comparisons are just not in the same ballpark.

It's not clear to me that you've accurately described what truly happens in these "discussions". Specifically, I doubt that that there's earnest argumentation of there being a "SAME degree of impact . . . ." Show me and I'll gladly be proven wrong. It's simply not a credible position, even for the most infamous of these dolts.

What you've described is, in my view, a transparent laying of a foundation for a strawman argument. It's a cheap rhetorical device by which one (person A) ascribes an absurd argument to an ostensible opponent (person B), thereby allowing A to refute an exaggerated argument that B had not made.

The sadly predictable result, when people take the bait, is angry wack-jobs typing at each in rapidly heightened polemics.

Seriously, why should ANY of this "tonewood" debate bug you?

When Gibson procures mahogany (swietenia macrophylla) at a premium for use in musical instrument production, a portion will be used to make electric guitar bodies and necks in Nashville, while the remainder is used in Bozeman for acoustic guitar backs & sides (primarily) and necks. Is the idea here that wood going to Montana is rightfully called "tonewood" while the mahogany in Nashville is suddenly something other than "tonewood"? Call it what you want, I suppose. But, as I've described it, it is a distinction without a difference.

Last edited by Brick is Red; 09-28-2021 at 12:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion