The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-27-2021, 01:20 PM

Default If you could make a Physical Graffiti a SINGLE album...

What numbers would you not include on the final list ?

I´m a Zep nut since early 70s... and love this album, like everything they ever did

but I think it would have made even more impact, and become their best album - without that many fills from years ago (well, The Rover is one, but I´d keep it )

I have my list, lets see yours..
Old 09-27-2021, 01:30 PM

If I could make Physical Graffiti a single album…

I wouldn’t.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 09-27-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

I would go the other way! I would make Zeppelin 1-houses all double albums!
Old 09-27-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I would go the other way! I would make Zeppelin 1-houses all double albums!
The 1st and their best LP was recorded in like 30hrs studio time .. I wish they could make it a double.. but they didnt have enough numbers by then to do so.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom60 View Post
The 1st and their best LP was recorded in like 30hrs studio time .. I wish they could make it a double.. but they didnt have enough numbers by then to do so.
They didn’t have enough of their own songs to release Zeppelin 1! Two or three of those tunes were written by others. That album is a bit notorious.
But that said, my inspiration to play music came from Led Zeppelin. First on drums, then later guitar, and later still the bass.
I spent most of my weekend learning to play “The Rain Song”. I just love Led Zeppelin.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:05 PM

Not my fav, that one. I’d be fine with just Bron-Yr-Aur, Kashmir, In the light, Ten years gone and maybe Night flight. Strange how all double albums ever made all have enough turkeys to easily drop them to a single LP, no?
Old 09-28-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

PG and III are my two favorite Zep albums, so there's not really much that I'd cut out of either of those albums.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
PG and III are my two favorite Zep albums, so there's not really much that I'd cut out of either of those albums.
I always wish (e.g.) that Down By The Seaside would just disappear to listen sooner to 10yrs Gone.. or I have to get up and skip the needle...
Or - Sick Again is ok for me, but Wanton Song feels just like more of the same..
Bron-Yr-Our instrumental is nice, that deep C tuning... but just a fill all the same..

The III is a very different animal.. but some lay-offs from that era are on PG too .. so maybe thats why you like these two albums most..

And there are also some numbers from IV era on PG, from Headley Grange.. like Black Country Woman... which I´d keep on PG for sure

So all in all, it is an eclectic collection stuffed with some (lots of) songs from days gone by to me ..

Thats why I dont see it as fresh outstanding album .. and I think after the IV, let alone V, they just could not bring it all home .. like they did on I or II
Old 09-29-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Oh, yeah. It was such a misfit of discarded material from previous albums, but yet it works. I'm not sure why I like PG so much, except that I haven't tired of the tracks like I have Zep I, II, IV, and HotH.

When I was younger, III was my least favorite (aside from Presence), so our preferences and tastes change over time.

Amazon Prime has some good album documentaries, and they have a few on the Led Zep albums, including PG. If you have their video streaming service, check them out.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:46 PM

It was such a misfit of discarded material from previous albums, but yet it works. I'm not sure why I like PG so much

So do I.. sure it works, and I can listen to it any day

but if there´d be just one album,
the I has it all,
I mean, that was the statement
no weak spot there, all tracks are winners

on II, not so much.. Thank You.. thanks, but no thanks and Living Loving Maid .. they never performed it live for a good reason

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN