The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-04-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Speaking of Strumalot, years ago he published a very funny book well worth a read: How to Canoe in Canada, A True Story. Sold on Amazon.
Evan, thanks!... it is a crazy story. There have been a few mentions of using a carbon fiber guitar as a "canoe paddle." I actually came very close to needing those services.

As it turned out, a guitar peg literally saved our lives.

And the Good Old Wooden and Amazingly Durable Gibson it came from survived the trip as well.

As a tribute to that guitar, I finally got around to recording the song I wrote with it, sitting on a rock ~ stranded ~ surrounded by polar bears near the Arctic shores of Hudson Bay (seriously)...

The Polar Bear Blues

In retrospect, the Savoy would have been perfect for that trip. It's durable, lightweight ~ choice of nylon or steel strings ~ and an ideal size for those times when you have to play lying on your back because you're stuck in a small tent completely covered with mosquitos (the Savoy has been accused of being "uncomfortable," but comfort depends on where you are and how you play).
Old 07-04-2021, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

That's a great "teaser", now I'm real interested in that story ! Glad you made it out alive.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:40 AM
Guest 928

Jeff;

I really enjoyed the book and I love the vocals and visuals posted here, thank you. Although, things do get a little grizzly toward the end.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:58 PM
Guest 928

As noted on the thread "my Savoy," I ended up with a Savoy. Kramster let me inherit his Savoy and I tried Martin nylon strings and Strumalot was correct, the guitar handles nylon strings well. The guitar is a winner and is now at the blackbird nest being fitted with a string tie bridge and being set up for nylon strings. This is the first Ekoa Savoy set up for nylon string play. Pretty thrilling stuff...........
Old 08-25-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
As noted on the thread "my Savoy," I ended up with a Savoy. Kramster let me inherit his Savoy and I tried Martin nylon strings and Strumalot was correct, the guitar handles nylon strings well. The guitar is a winner and is now at the blackbird nest being fitted with a string tie bridge and being set up for nylon strings. This is the first Ekoa Savoy set up for nylon string play. Pretty thrilling stuff...........
Won't it be cool to have the only guitar like it in the WHOLE world?! You better keep this one Evan.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Won't it be cool to have the only guitar like it in the WHOLE world?! You better keep this one Evan.
What's the over/under in terms of how long Evan keeps it?

Mitch
Old 08-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Guest 928

Mitch;

Can I join the wager? How much are you willing to wager? And who will hold the purse? Not only am I willing to join in on the wager I'd be willing to hold the purse.

Evan
Old 08-26-2021, 10:34 AM

I'll wager that Evan keeps it but all of my shares are bought in mythereum.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I'm curious about this experiment. I have an El Capitan that I think is a great guitar.

Has anyone tried Nylon on an El Capitan?
Old 08-26-2021, 05:41 PM
Guest 928

Aspiring;

I've wondered the same thing. I'd be temped to give it a try but the El is a little big for my taste. The Capitan has the right head stock for a nylon and if the Savoy is any indication the Capitan might be a stunning nylon instrument. You could get an indication by trying just one string. If you do that, let us know.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:21 AM

Any update on your Savoy Evan?
Old 09-13-2021, 03:00 PM
Guest 928

New2;

Thank you for asking. Joe has completed a prototype of the string tie and sent me a picture. I like the prototype but have asked for a slight modification. I don't know yet what Joe thinks of my suggested modification and I can live with whatever he decides.

The truth is that Joe's integrity with this project amazes me. There was a slight flaw with the original bridge that did not impact play and the guitar was used for numerous videos. So here I am, the 2nd owner, with a guitar that is years from new, and the maker sees the flaw and agrees to deal with it--This kind of integrity is rare.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:04 PM

Discussion of moderator action to enforce rules is not allowed publically in the threads as per the rules.

This thread has been edited to remove all references to previous actions and can continue in regards to the original topic, but please stay on topic, ie the NGD for Wuchak.

Thank you.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Do we need to show our vaccination cards to continue this discussion of the NGD ?
Old 09-27-2021, 03:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Do we need to show our vaccination cards to continue this discussion of the NGD ?
No, that only applies for NGDs associated with wood guitars. After all, CF is impervious to all elements.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber