The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 07:46 PM

Default New Tuning Pegs Day

Thanks to Reverb, Japan, and the crappy finish on the previously installed Wilkinson tuners on my Yamaha LLX6A, it now proudly adorns Gotoh SGV510 gold with L5 buttons. These are the tuning machines that should come on virtually every guitar in the intermediate to pro-level categories. So comfortable to turn. 21:1 ratio. Flawless finish. Cry once, buy once.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:08 PM

I know those are fabulous tuners but I'm just not a fan of that button shape - it's just a visual thing to me - they remind me too much of Fender bass guitar tuners for some reason when I look at them.

Nice installation job there.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-27-2021, 09:11 PM

Nice tuners, YamahaGuy. Bear in mind that over time the string vibrations will cause the tuners to loosen a little bit, but their firmness can easily be restored by taking the right size Phillipshead screwdriver and going around and firming up their clutch screws, which are the same screws that hold the buttons onto the tuners.

Bruce, I have Schaller-style aftermarket buttons on most of my Gotoh tuners; they’re widely available. In addition to changing the look they also have the advantage of cutting the weight on the headstock.

All anyone has to do is make certain is that the aftermarket buttons are intended for Gotohs and then swap them out.

whm
Old 09-27-2021, 09:26 PM

Nice upgrade, I think the tuners look great on that headstock.
The Gotoh 510's are one the best in both form and function.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

Bruce, I have Schaller-style aftermarket buttons on most of my Gotoh tuners; they’re widely available. In addition to changing the look they also have the advantage of cutting the weight on the headstock.

All anyone has to do is make certain is that the aftermarket buttons are intended for Gotohs and then swap them out.

whm
It's purely a visual thing for me - I have Gotoh tuners on 2 guitars and they are superb ... and the OP's 21:1 ratio 510's are regarded as their very best!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-28-2021, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I know those are fabulous tuners but I'm just not a fan of that button shape - it's just a visual thing to me - they remind me too much of Fender bass guitar tuners for some reason when I look at them.

Nice installation job there.
Thanks. Yeah, the looks of the button does remind me of a bass too, but to me they are easy to spin on the treble side when restringing.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 09-28-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 AM

I've thought about changing the machine heads on my LL16 to an open back style because I've always loved that style, but the stock tuners have actually been really good, it stays in tune so well, they turn easy etc. For now I'll leave it, looks good though!
Old 09-28-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I've thought about changing the machine heads on my LL16 to an open back style because I've always loved that style, but the stock tuners have actually been really good, it stays in tune so well, they turn easy etc. For now I'll leave it, looks good though!
I've had many Yamaha guitars over the past 11 years. The only reason I changed them the first time was that the finish wore off. So I got some [relatively] cheap Wilkinson tuners from Guitar Fetish which weren't bad, but the finish on them starting go away after a year or two, so I decided to do it right once and for all.

This particular guitar and I have been through so much, it's my go-to stage guitar. I'll pick it 3 to 1 over most others in my collection. It's a (originally) $649 guitar that has over $500 extra invested in it between Tusq nut, Tusq saddle, bone nut, bone nut no. 2, repairs after it was dropped [not by me], strap lock set 1, strap locks set 2, case number 2, tuners x2. It's one of my keepers.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I've had many Yamaha guitars over the past 11 years. The only reason I changed them the first time was that the finish wore off. So I got some [relatively] cheap Wilkinson tuners from Guitar Fetish which weren't bad, but the finish on them starting go away after a year or two, so I decided to do it right once and for all.

This particular guitar and I have been through so much, it's my go-to stage guitar. I'll pick it 3 to 1 over most others in my collection. It's a (originally) $649 guitar that has over $500 extra invested in it between Tusq nut, Tusq saddle, bone nut, bone nut no. 2, repairs after it was dropped [not by me], strap lock set 1, strap locks set 2, case number 2, tuners x2. It's one of my keepers.
That's awesome
Old 09-28-2021, 02:50 PM

YamahaGuy - congrats on the new Tuners. I know you were looking for some and it worked out great. They look fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion