The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-27-2021, 06:02 AM

Don't think the configurator is working properly for the scale length. I chose X20 and then opened the scale selector. It showed a check beside the 24.5" as default, which we know is not right as this is a 25.5" scale. But when I actually clicked on the 24.5" button, the price jumped $550. I was not able to deselect to return to standard and had to go out and back in again to reset. Other scale lengths had a $450 price jump. YMMV
Old 09-27-2021, 03:25 PM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You might have to point out where "on Emerald's site you can get any model of Emerald guitar in a 24.5" scale length at no extra cost." Not saying things haven't changed, but I paid $400 additional when I ordered my X10 (right after they first came out) to get a 24.6" scale instead of the standard 25.5". I looked on their site after reading your post, but couldn't find that... of course, I am a guy, and as my wife frequently points out: can't find anything. Well, those aren't the words she used, but I try to follow the rules here.

-------

OK, I see that now on Emerald's site. Checking a couple different models, I see there is some price difference, but not as much $$ as in the past.
Jim I got back on the Emerald site and there is a bug in the customizing section. When you first go into it gives the base price then if you select a different scale length it jumps like maybe $350.00. However the bug is you can't get it back to the base or scale length. It wouldn't let you uncheck customizing the scale length you are stuck with a customized scale length. Oh well. It's certainly more than the $100 at least $300. When things are too good to be true they invariably aren't true.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I can't speak to the X7 but it is definitely on my radar as a fuller sounding companion the the OF660. Initially my two main criticisms of the Journey have been remedied. The first was that the guitar was on the quiet side, the second was the brass frets.

The first issue was remedied to my satisfaction once I found some good loud strings and have found finger picks and a thumb pick that help immensely. I've also bought a Sagework which has both lifted the Journey off my lap and angles it in such a way that the sound hole is closer to my ears and slightly tilted toward my chest. The guitar is actually louder for me now than the Touring. My kids also complain that I'm playing too loud sometimes, so perspective isn't just mine. Is the tone of the OF660 as good as the Touring? No. But the tone of the Touring to my ears isn't $1700 better either, so there is that.

As for the frets, they felt gritty against the strings when bending. However after taking 0000 steel wool to them and giving them a good polish that has gone away. The brass also seems like a harder material than the nickel wire used on RainSongs. After 3 years of it being my primary player it is still a long way off from a refret. Nice.

If it were stolen I'd buy another.
SteelVibe your last statement is classic and says volumes about OF660 value to you personally. Sometimes at least for me perfect is really the target is it good enough for business. I realize as probably everyone else that its in the eye of the beholder. However, I find yours and everyone else jumping is sort of putting a picture together that is better than the one I had before. I hadn't even considered Emerald Guitars now I'm looking at their possibilities. I agree with others remarks guitars Touring from the vids appears to have a more woody sound perhaps due to sonically removing or damping some frequencies and enhancing other to blend a guitar sound up verses Emerald has a different sonic register, it has bass and mids, highs to me they seem to be brighter with more ringing overtones verses Touring doesn't have that ring or brightness to it. Rainsong to always seem to be crystal sound that isn't wood just glassy sound. That doesn't appeal to me. Anyway their shortest scale isn't short enough so that becomes mute. I live in Winter Garden area of Florida and not like Maryland not much each for boutique or better guitars. Their are couple in South Florida. If I got my hands on them for an hour my ears and hands would tell me.

Last edited by docyoung; 09-27-2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-09-2021, 06:03 PM

Just an update. I have been looking at Emerald X7 and X20 especially since I can get the length neck I want. Also still looking more at the Touring and not so much at the Journey. Thanks for everyone giving me a hand on this one.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can't speak to

The first issue was remedied to my satisfaction once I found some good loud strings

If it were stolen I'd buy another.
Curious which strings did you find? The low volume is something I'd like to improve on my rt 660
Old 10-09-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Curious which strings did you find? The low volume is something I'd like to improve on my rt 660
Hi Aspiring- For an increase in volume I like (not necessarily in any order or preference):

Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze 12-54

LaBella Silk & Steel 12-56

I'm pretty convinced anything 80/20 as my OF660 currently has D'addario XT 11-52 but with a .013 and .017 for the trebles. The midrange is significantly boosted and it just cuts right through. I like that on this guitar because even though it sounds fine with almost any strings, phosphor bronze tones tend to get kind of lost and muddy to my ears. i have tried John Pearse 80/20 lights on it as well and my notes from a few years ago found those favorable.

Surprised you find the RT660 quiet. I would think that it would be louder than the travel CF because of body size and better integrated neck joint. I could be wrong, but I think you also have an OF660 (or did)?
Old 10-09-2021, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Aspiring- For an increase in volume I like (not necessarily in any order or preference):

Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze 12-54

LaBella Silk & Steel 12-56

I'm pretty convinced anything 80/20 as my OF660 currently has D'addario XT 11-52 but with a .013 and .017 for the trebles. The midrange is significantly boosted and it just cuts right through. I like that on this guitar because even though it sounds fine with almost any strings, phosphor bronze tones tend to get kind of lost and muddy to my ears. i have tried John Pearse 80/20 lights on it as well and my notes from a few years ago found those favorable.

Surprised you find the RT660 quiet. I would think that it would be louder than the travel CF because of body size and better integrated neck joint. I could be wrong, but I think you also have an OF660 (or did)?
A few things for me to try. I've never tried the Ernie Balls on anything so worth venturing there.

I have tried one set of d'addario 80/20 on the RT and did not care for the tone much.

The RT is an odd beast. I really quite like the tone but it is quiet. It is also the only guitar that I've actually quite liked elixirs on.

I tried but did not purchase an OF660 and that was a year or two before I purchased the RT which means I did not have a back to back comparison. My recollection is that the RT sounds fuller in tone and that the OF had some of the small body tone but I did not notice the volume on it being low whereas the RT has had that right from the first note.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
journey of660, mcperson touring