The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Humbucker-cover or not?

Can someone teach me why many classic HBs are covered and some are not? Does this change their sound? Seems to this electo-naive person that it would “blend” the individual magnet poles. Is their a functional reason, or is it just cosmetics... Always wondered about that...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-27-2020, 07:23 AM

I've never done so, so I'm as curious as you if it's a placebo and they are really just cosmetics.

Many people that remove the covers would say the pickups responses changed.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:26 AM

Hey Dave, I have both covered and uncovered, and uncovered zebra. I prefer the aesthetics of zebra pickups, where one bobbin is black and the other is white/cream colored. Most people I know prefer the look of a covered humbucker.

As far as tonal differences, you'll probably hear that the uncovered pickup may be a little brighter, possibly a little more aggressive (that's not a bad thing).

Here's a pic of my Gibson SGJ with zebra pickups to help illustrate a zebra pickup.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Dave, I have both covered and uncovered, and uncovered zebra. I prefer the aesthetics of zebra pickups, where one bobbin is black and the other is white/cream colored. Most people I know prefer the look of a covered humbucker.

As far as tonal differences, you'll probably hear that the uncovered pickup may be a little brighter, possibly a little more aggressive (that's not a bad thing).

Here's a pic of my Gibson SGJ with zebra pickups to help illustrate a zebra pickup.

Love the look of that SG with zebra pickups!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-27-2020, 07:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The mythos is that removing the cover increases treble and output just a pinch. After fifty years of playing the thing is, I've never encountered anyone in person whose tone was extraordinary simply because he took off his covers. A friend and I had nearly identical same-year guitars. His had removed covers, mine still had/has the covers. Mine sounded sweeter. I've never done it, not once. I have bought a guitar that came that way stock. I didn't keep it. Pickups were to harsh. Just my experience.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Nice SG, Dru! That is a nice look.
Bob, Im leaning towards your thoughts as well. If I may add, my thoughts are partly formed based on the many telecasters
Ive owned or played. Granted, bridge/neck location and mounting base are probably the real determinants of tonal differences, but find it interesting that Leo thought to cover the neck pup, and it is supposed to have the more rythmic, smooth sound. Like I said, im just curious...I dont believe theres any major difference, and that playing technique probably trumps any slight difference. But thats all just my hunch. Interesting to hear others’ thoughts
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-27-2020, 08:49 AM

I took the gold covers off of my 1972 Les Paul around 1975 because I thought it looked cooler then. I put them back on about a year later - mainly so I didn’t lose them.

I never noticed a difference in the sound either way.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 11-27-2020, 09:13 AM

I think there is a slight difference in tone - but if I have learned anything over the years, most differences in tone are very slight - we as the player might notice them, but the audience seldom does. And, you will only really hear the differences played clean. Any overdrive and you won't notice the difference at all.

Personally, i like the look of covered humbuckers. However, I do confess that I like the zebra pickups.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Long ago I took the covers off my 335's PUs. I did not hear any difference. You can do absolutely anything to a guitar and someone will hear a difference.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 11-27-2020, 11:38 AM

Although I like the uncovered look, I've never bought a guitar because the pickups were covered or uncovered. I've also never taken a cover off or put one on. I have replaced plenty of pickups though.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:57 PM

People have already talked about the theoretical slight sound differences. The other factor is that you can wear off corners of the pickup bobbins with close pickup height and aggressive picking, even even possible damage some windings.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-27-2020, 02:56 PM

I've removed pickup covers from humbucking pickups, and I did get more high end out of the pickup, but I didn't like it, so I put the covers back on. It's not a myth, just a subtle change.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Haha, I didn't know that people took them off. I think I'll just leave mine on. I'm pretty sure there are many more things I can do right now to make me sound better. But if I ever get so danged good that I just can't, I'll try it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-28-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Haha, I didn't know that people took them off. I think I'll just leave mine on. I'm pretty sure there are many more things I can do right now to make me sound better. But if I ever get so danged good that I just can't, I'll try it.
Interesting story on zebra pickups. At some point in '59 / '60, Gibson's pickup bobbin color changed from black to cream due to a shortage of the black color/material to make the bobbin. No one knew because the pickups were covered. Some people decided to take off their covers and behold, there were pickups with black, white, and black/white (zebra) pickup bobbins.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Haha, I didn't know that people took them off. I think I'll just leave mine on.
I'm a firm believer in the if it aint broke, don't fix it plan of attack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars