The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Default New Computer and Interface

So I have just ordered a new iMac 27" fairly loaded up and I have a new Avid Carbon Interface coming as well.
The new iMac is specked as below, But I will be putting in probably 128 GB of 3 party RAM myself

I debated back and forth on the processor (8 core i7 or 10 core i9 ) but after a lot of research decided the 8 core 10th Gen i7 (which actually has a faster clock speed) would be more than enough and that money would be better spent on the top graphics card

I will be trading in /selling my old Mac Pro computer & Display ,, Avid HDNative PCIe card,, and 2 Avid Omni interfaces (one unboxed and mounted but unused)
The Mid 2010 Mac Pro is fairly well modded and is as below

Current System :
Avid HD Omni , Mid 2010 MP 3.33 6-core Westmere, Apple 27" Cinema Display.... RAM 24 GB.
Radeon Plus RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI GPU, PTHDN 2020.5 on OS 10.14.6 Mojave. boot drive SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951 ACHI, PT sessions EVO 970 PCIe NVMe 1TB SSD--FCPX file EVO 970 PCIe 1 TB NVMe SSD.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-24-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Your recording computer I assume. More than enough than you will likely ever need. Fast graphic card not important really, just be sure the computer is dead silent or nearly so.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-24-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Kev. I'm looking forward to hearing your reviews on Carbon.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-24-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Your recording computer I assume. More than enough than you will likely ever need. Fast graphic card not important really, just be sure the computer is dead silent or nearly so.
Yes studio computer for recording ,,, but also periodic Video editing in FCPX. so fast graphics and more RAM for rendering speed an advantage depending on format and task .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-24-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Congrats Kev. I'm looking forward to hearing your reviews on Carbon.
Thanks yes I will try to put together a decent review

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-24-2020, 02:51 PM

I honestly wouldn’t get a Mac with anything but one of the new Apple M1 chips in it at this point, even if I had to wait a bit.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:37 PM

Seems pretty stout configuration, and comparing it to my humbler setup I'm sure it will handle just about any recording work (including a lot of plugins/VI/tracks) with ease.

As to the M1 comment: there are folks at recording sites saying there are good reasons to not buy an M1 Mac (as nice as they seem to be for many other things) for some kinds of recording/musical composition work yet. The "Rosetta 2" translation/auto-recompile software in the latest MacOS (latest MacOS is required for M1) apparently can't handle most existing plugins inside a host DAW yet. I'm not sure how heavy Kev's video editing is, but despite the O Happy Day reports and benchmarks that came out this week saying the M1 is already more than competitive with the Intel chips Apple was using, I haven't seen any heavy video production reports on performance yet (and they may have plugin issues too--I dunno, I work with sound, not video).

For those just browsing in this thread and thinking about recording, just recording and mixing, not hosting virtual instruments or using a lot of plugins, as many here would do if they want to record acoustic guitar and voice, you should know that Kev's new system is way overqualified for that. I use a 8-year-old Mac Mini in my "live room" studio space for that. It has no problems in ProTools or Logic Pro recording as many tracks as I'd like.

Another, newer Mini gets used for those virtual instruments and more complex "in the box" stuff in my little home office, which is includes recording of a kind (like multiple orchestra VIs, synths, computer based effects) but not what many AGF'ers would want to do to record their guitars and vocals, or even a whole band playing in a live room.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-24-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I honestly wouldn’t get a Mac with anything but one of the new Apple M1 chips in it at this point, even if I had to wait a bit.
Bear in mind that those are currently limited to 16GB RAM. Also, if you buy the 8GB version, it is not upgradeable to 16GB, since there are no RAM slots.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-24-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Right! The new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip outperforms the best 2020 IMac with Intel chips that cost nearly 2X the price. Send the iMac back if it's not too late. The iMacs in 2021 will have the M1 or M2 chip or just pick up a MacBook Pro if you can't wait. If you go with the later, you'll have plenty of cash left over to purchase a better external monitor than the iMac's display and have the portability when you need it.

Personally, I, going to wait for a MacBook Pro with the M2 chips. These 2021 machines are also rumored to have a major facelift too.

Check out this related video:

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple

Last edited by _zedagive; 11-24-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the thought . And no doubt many hold that view and if you can wait a few years. it might work out well . But actually have considered that and many more factors as well and it's not a primary consideration factor for me.
The other considerations are things like
#1 The question is how fast the developers of 3rd party software will port their products (like DAWs) over to the new chip which could be another year for complex DAWs etc. Apple has said it's a two year plan for roll out in the entire line, and so that could be a 3 year wait .

#2 More importantly if a new iMac is more than enough machine for what you are doing and plan to do with it, and you need or want a new machine now, there is not a lot of real world reason to believe it will not be a viable functional powerhouse machine well into the future.
For example my current 2010 machine is still perfectly usable, viable, functional, and will continue to be usable at its' current OS and PT version for likely 3-5 more yers to come. Only because I am getting a new interface that needs to run a more current OS (and only because I want to advantage of it's advancements ) am I gettin a new computer.

#3 Right now only the mobile devices and the 13 " MacBook air 13 " MacBook and not only are they not suitable for me but as I noted PT is not qualified on the M1 chips either
YMMV

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Right! Send the iMac back if it's not too late. The iMacs in 2021 will have the M1 or M2 chip or just pick up a MacBook Pro if you can't wait. If you go with the later, you'll have plenty of cash left over to purchase a better external monitor than the iMac's display and have the portability when you need it.

Personally, I, going to wait for a MacBook Pro with the M2 chips. These 2021 machines are also rumored to have a major facelift too.

Check out this related video:

Again I appreciate the suggestions and realize they are well intended. BUT it's not like I woke up yesterday and decided to get an iMac. I have been considering a new studio machine for over a year and with the announcement of Avid Carbon done several weeks of research on the 2020 iMac

First that video is not related, it's two MacBooks (Apples to Apples ) not a MacBook and an iMac (Apples to Peaches ). ha I made a puny

Second while the M1 chip has better Geek Bench score than intel in a straight say 8 core to 8 comparison. But that's not the only question to ask for an audio computer. Especially a dedicated studio computer. And the real world of Audio definitely not the only consideration. Things like storage and Ram, connection options , etc are also just as important considerations for Audio.
Also at the level of performance already at with the current intel chips vs M1, we are talking a 150 mph sports car vs a 200 mph car Its not like the iMac is a Corvair trying to keep up

For example 13 " MacPro has 2 TB/USB4 ports and mini headphone jack that's it . I need at least that and 3 USB C ports and the ethernet ABV connection on the iMac

Also the the rumor is the M1 iMac slated for 2021 will be a base model 24 inch which would work fine ,,,, bit again PT is not even qualified for Big Sur let alone M1 chips .

Also personally I already have a MacBook air that works fine as a portable computer z(I am typing this on it)

So personally I have no interest another laptop . The thing is everybody's situation is different, and general pronouncements of do this or that, or buy this or that, or wait or don't wait, are not really valid in general, they are only valid personally. ?????

So thanks guys really ,,,, but I will not be waiting or sending it back End of story

Now This video is directly related to my interest and helped with my purchase decision why I got the 8 core instead of the 10 core but got the better graphics for FCPX etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-24-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I would tend to agree with Frank , most here on AGF simply doing solo acoustic guitar, or guitar and vocal, and running 2 to 8 analog tracks, with a minimum of Plugins and a only a few or none VI "s,,,,, with a 2 mic input interface and couple of mics, especially if not really doing much or any video editing, could certainly get great results with the more base model machines, laptop, or desk top.

I was simply reporting what New Computer I was getting a NCD thread

Perhaps as a note of clarification or just interest, here is one of my typical session templates.

6 analog guitar tracks, 2 analog vocal tracks , 4 Virtual instrument tracks,,, 5 Folder/Bus tracks, and 2 Aux input tracks, one with outboard reverb, one with the outboard 2 bus compressor , 12 EQ plugins ,13 compressor plugins in individual tracks And could have 4 or more VI plugins

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-28-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

While I appreciated and understood the suggestions about the MacBook Pro with M1 chip . And no doubt would be a viable consideration for many
BUT
Because this is a dedicated music studio and I already have a MacBook Air portability was not a consideration so the MB Pro was not really a consideration for my specific situation and why I went with the iMac .

That said however the one M1 option I did consider for a while , was the the New Mac Mini with the M1 and 16 gigs of RAM. @ $1300 may just be the best performance per dollar option out there...................
But because neither my new Carbon interface nor Pro tools are currently certified for M1 use ...I did not choose it either.
That and that and by the time I also got,,, even the lesser priced Apple option of the LG 5k Display the combined total would have been $3k Not to mention the new Apple Pro XDR Display (to actually take full advantage of 8k capability in the new M1 chip) that would be another $5k and $1k for the stand

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-28-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:27 PM

One of the problems with buying a new computer is there's always something better coming out in six months time. If you did wait to get a 2021 iMac, there would be something else on the horizon to wait for
Old 11-29-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
One of the problems with buying a new computer is there's always something better coming out in six months time. If you did wait to get a 2021 iMac, there would be something else on the horizon to wait for
YES the relentless march of improvement in electronics and software doesn't seem to care about when I choose to open my wallet.

That said I honestly think the move by Apple to their own chips and the performance improvement it is showing so far, is quite impressive. And will be a fairly big deal in the near future..
Like I said I seriously considered the new maxed out Mac Mini, but using Pro Tools as I do, and knowing Avid is likely to be slow to qualify for use with the M1 chip. And knowing this iMac is also an outstanding performer in its own right, and likely usable another 5 to 10 years. I went with the current new iMac

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD