The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-27-2020, 12:18 PM

Default changing strings on an archtop

Feel stupid asking this but here goes....On my D'Angleico EXL 1 (I love it) there is of course a floating bridge. When you change strings, how do you know to get it back to the same place for correct intonation? I can measure it with a metric ruler on 3 sides from the bridge to the guitar edge but how is it supposed to be done? thx Jeff B
Old 09-27-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

1. Use some blue low tack painters tape to mark the position before you remove the strings.

or

2. Change the strings one at a time.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:16 PM

Most of my too many instruments have floating bridges (banjos, mandos, fiddles, etc.). 4, 6, 8 or 10 strings. I change strings one string/course at a time. If you do end up needing to reposition the bridge, do it by checking intonation at the 12th fret.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

As most have said, use the old strings to keep the bridge in place. I prefer to keep the 1st and 6th in place.

Remove the others, clean and polish as necessary, replace 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, then its safe to remove and replace the 1st and 6th.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:45 PM

I just realized the problem I was trying to address (and it didn't occur to me I will not have to deal with it again) is that it is a new guitar and when shipped they put a foam pad underneath the bridge to keep it from getting scratched in shipping. I won't run into that problem again...duh...I just measured the placement on 3 sides in mm removed the pad and put it back.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:52 PM

You can always set the compensation correctly, which may or may not have been the case before you changed the strings. Folks, it's easy to set the bridge in the right place, don't make it seem hard. Harmonic and fretted note the same pitch, 12th fret, high E, low E, done, boom...
Old 10-01-2020, 11:21 AM

I use blue tack tape to hold the bridge in position, then change strings, no issues with that. and my guitar has a nitro finish.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Change the strings one at a time and keep the tension as balanced as possible across the fretboard, so as to not torque or twist the tailpiece hook. This is why so many archtops have broken tailpiece's, in which the sheet metal, or hinge pin, of the tailpiece hook is torn or cracked.

Also, if you need to remove the strings, and this is very important, loosen all of the strings, equally, evenly and slowly, in order to relieve the tension so that the tailpiece sees the same tension from high to low.

Then, the best way to adjust intonation, by compensating your saddle position is to do this:

1. Begin with all of the strings loose, not flopping, but not so tight as to ring out.

2. Make sure the bridge is loose and can be moved freely and is not stuck to the top.

3. Begin tuning the low E and the high E strings only, leave the others alone for now, a little at a time, equally at each, until they tune to pitch.

4. Fret the high E string at the 12th fret and strike the string while watching an electronic tuner (I like the Korg tuners). If the needle does not match that same pitch as when you strike the string in the open position, you need to move the bridge to lengthen or shorten the string.

5. To adjust the string length, gently slide the bridge (it will be pretty easy to move, since the only force holding it down are the two strings tuned to pitch), to flat or sharp the string as necessary. Repeat step 4 until the needle on your tuner shows the same pitch every time you strike the string open or fretted at the 12th position.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the low E string. Recheck the high E string as you proceed, since the balance will change and you may need to make another small adjustment to the high E string.

7. Once the high and low E strings have been intonated, tune the remaining strings up, evenly and equally until you are at concert pitch.

8. Recheck the intonation at all of the strings using the same technique you used for the high and low E strings. Make any minor adjustments by repeating the steps as described above.

Generally, I have found that once the high and low strings are intonated properly, the middle four fall in line and no further adjustments are needed.

IMO, perfect intonation is better than perfect tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops