The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2020, 12:48 PM

Default Dirty Volume Control

Seeking advice: a couple of years ago I had the Martin factory in Nazareth, PA, install a pickup in my OM-28VL. The pickup sounds great over the PA system in the church where I play in the Sunday choir, except for one thing: the volume control makes noise when I dial it back and forth, much to the annoyance of the priest celebrating Mass. In the radio business, we used to call this a "dirty pot." Anyone have any suggestions for how to get rid of the noise? Does it need grease or what? Thank you ahead of time for your feedback.
Taylor 615CEL (2006)
Taylor 714CEL (2009)
Eastman MD515L
Gibson CS-336L
Fender Stratocaster (1974)
Fender Hotrod Precision Bass
Luna Ukulele

Last edited by Hank T. Tone; 11-22-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:18 PM

In a regular pot, a quick spray of Deoxit or another contact cleaner, but not sure how to access it in your pickup. Won't solve your problem, but a workaround until you do, Taylor (and probably others) sell guitar cables with a volume control.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
In a regular pot, a quick spray of Deoxit or another contact cleaner, but not sure how to access it in your pickup. Won't solve your problem, but a workaround until you do, Taylor (and probably others) sell guitar cables with a volume control.
Or If your church has a sound engineer you could work with them to mute and unmute at the proper time.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:08 PM

To me it sounds as though some dirt or grit has gotten into the potentiometer. I’m not especially knowledgeable about electronics, but I think that that can be cleaned.

If this problem is an annoyance to your priest, one thing that you can do immediately is to run your guitar through a junction box. These are simple floor pedals. You can instantly turn off the line that your guitar is on by stepping on a button on the junction box.

That way you don’t even have to fiddle with the volume control at all.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Deoxit as mentioned before will solve the issue.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Deoxit. If that doesnt clean it, it may need replaced. Not sure how deoxit behaves on finishes, though, and it tends to splash a lot. Can the pot be removed easily for cleaning?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-22-2020, 06:56 PM

Rapidly move the knob one way then the other in a side to side motion with volume down. That will probably smooth things out.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:44 PM

DeOxit makes a formulation specifically for faders and pots. Not sure what the difference exactly is (lubricant I think), but it's what I've been using and it's worked mostly well. It doesn't take much of a squirt, although it usually dispenses more than needed. Have not any problem with overspray that got on plastics, but not sure if it could damage or mar a guitar finish if it got on it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-F5S-H6-D.../dp/B00006LVF1
Old 11-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Cool Try This First...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Rapidly move the knob one way then the other in a side to side motion with volume down. That will probably smooth things out.
Before you squirt any Do-Oxit into that guitar, try this... as rapidly as you can without tearing the little thing off it's housing, move it back and forth, all the way from one stop to the other... do it a BUNCH of times.

Should do the trick, unless it's actually got some gunk stuck in there, or it's a faulty pot...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-25-2020, 06:19 AM

Rapidly moving it will work sometimes.
Any kind of muting box on the floor
By your feet will silence the guitar
Until your ready to play. Many pedal
Tuners do this. I use an Orchid muting Di box.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:36 AM

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...xoCU5EQAvD_BwE

This is the product that in theory cleans POTs without the harsh acids of a contact cleaner. You don't want to be spraying this stuff inside your guitar without carefully surrounding the target with cloth to absorb overspray.

In general, POT cleaning is a temporary fix. It can't fix pitted surfaces in the POT, the lube will quickly out gas or wear to being ineffective, and often the lube becomes a magnet for collecting new dirt.

If you can afford it and it is important to you, I would replace the volume/tone module. In some generations of Fishman Matrix it is not hardwired.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification