The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Just tried the McPherson Sable this afternoon (along with the entire McPherson line) at their Sparta, WI plant and showroom. There are a few guitar benefits from living in Wisconsin!

I must say, I was more impressed than expected with the Sable. Good tone, impressive projection (just from a few minutes of play, unplugged). Will be assessing more closely, and appreciate this thread's debate as part of that.
Dang! I was just waiting for the right moment to jump in again and offer to buy folks' Sables at fire sale prices. Well, so much for that plan. Gee, thanks a bunch!

So how are they handling factory tours during this COVID-19 thing? Since I own 4 (count 'em) McPherson CF guitars, I really am interested in driving out there one of these days. From what I understand, it would only be an hour or so drive for me.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 07-22-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Yeah, I found one in a local showroom and was floored for 2 reasons; I found one in the wild I could test drive, and I loved the guitar. I spent years trying to hunt down just one single RainSong at a GC before finding an independent dealer and trying a Shorty back in 2013. To walk in a local store and see both a Sable and Touring in the same stop made me pretty excited. I think the shop owner must of have thought I was a bit weird with my enthusiasm with CF. I played them both but spent about 20 min with the Sable- it is a great guitar and the best sounding one I've gotten my mitts on to this day. I would want to play an Emerald X20 before dropping that kind of quid tho.....
I have both the Sable and the Touring. Sometimes decisions are just too hard. Note that, with the Touring, you get that great hard shell case AND a really nice soft case. With the Sable, you get just the hard shell case, but then the Sable doubles as one heck of a weapon if you find the need to defend yourself, in addition to being a really nice instrument.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Just tried the McPherson Sable this afternoon (along with the entire McPherson line) at their Sparta, WI plant and showroom. There are a few guitar benefits from living in Wisconsin!

I must say, I was more impressed than expected with the Sable. Good tone, impressive projection (just from a few minutes of play, unplugged). Will be assessing more closely, and appreciate this thread's debate as part of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Yeah, I found one in a local showroom and was floored for 2 reasons; I found one in the wild I could test drive, and I loved the guitar. I spent years trying to hunt down just one single RainSong at a GC before finding an independent dealer and trying a Shorty back in 2013. To walk in a local store and see both a Sable and Touring in the same stop made me pretty excited. I think the shop owner must of have thought I was a bit weird with my enthusiasm with CF. I played them both but spent about 20 min with the Sable- it is a great guitar and the best sounding one I've gotten my mitts on to this day. I would want to play an Emerald X20 before dropping that kind of quid tho.....
Nice to see this thread take a positive turn. I personally wasn't in the market for a new guitar (carbon or wood). When I seen MartingitDave's NGD Sable thread it opened my eyes and I started digging. I know he's a die hard Martin lover (nothing wrong with that) and for him to praise the Sable I knew it was sincere. Of course others like Tbeltrans chimed in as well with their opinions and that caused me to go looking. I seen a few Sables on Reverb and they were expensive, much more expensive than my Emeralds, and I was like, nope I'm not paying that. If I remember correctly I had 3 different Sable ads on my watch list and as time went on they were soon forgotten. A couple of weeks into the pandemic when the world started to go in lockdown, I woke up one morning with an offer that was too good to turn down. It took me only a couple of minutes of quiet contemplation before I pulled the trigger thinking this kind of deal might never come again. I'm sure glad I did. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as good as what it is. I have some nice guitars to compare it to, which I'm still constantly doing, and I will continue to sing its praises and would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. Knowing what I know now would I pay the MSRP? Yes I would, though shopping around for the best price is certainly recommended.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Nice to see this thread take a positive turn. I personally wasn't in the market for a new guitar (carbon or wood). When I seen MartingitDave's NGD Sable thread it opened my eyes and I started digging. I know he's a die hard Martin lover (nothing wrong with that) and for him to praise the Sable I knew it was sincere. Of course others like Tbeltrans chimed in as well with their opinions and that caused me to go looking. I seen a few Sables on Reverb and they were expensive, much more expensive than my Emeralds, and I was like, nope I'm not paying that. If I remember correctly I had 3 different Sable ads on my watch list and as time went on they were soon forgotten. A couple of weeks into the pandemic when the world started to go in lockdown, I woke up one morning with an offer that was too good to turn down. It took me only a couple of minutes of quiet contemplation before I pulled the trigger thinking this kind of deal might never come again. I'm sure glad I did. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be as good as what it is. I have some nice guitars to compare it to, which I'm still constantly doing, and I will continue to sing its praises and would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. Knowing what I know now would I pay the MSRP? Yes I would, though shopping around for the best price is certainly recommended.
Same exact thing happened to me while watching some sables on reverb...was it Boston guitar that sent you the offer ?
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-23-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed62 View Post
Same exact thing happened to me while watching some sables on reverb...was it Boston guitar that sent you the offer ?
Nope, it was Eddie's Guitars. I think they're based in St. Louis if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Nope, it was Eddie's Guitars. I think they're based in St. Louis if my memory serves me correctly.
Yep I had that one on my watch list also....When Boston sent me the offer i sent him a quick message to verify it was the gold package ,he said yes and I didnt hesitate to buy it at that price....I wanted the honeycomb weave like yours but for that price I was good with the standard.
2005 Gibson Es 335
Old 07-23-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yep I had that one on my watch list also....When Boston sent me the offer i sent him a quick message to verify it was the gold package ,he said yes and I didnt hesitate to buy it at that price....I wanted the honeycomb weave like yours but for that price I was good with the standard.
As much as I feel like I am leaning toward the X30, if one of the Sable sellers on my watch list sent me a great offer, it would be tough to pass up. Eddi's currently has 4 in stock. I really don't think I could go wrong with either.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
As much as I feel like I am leaning toward the X30, if one of the Sable sellers on my watch list sent me a great offer, it would be tough to pass up. Eddi's currently has 4 in stock. I really don't think I could go wrong with either.
Keep them on your watch list...you never know they may send you a great offer....that way if you do buy one you will never have to be "embarrassed to tell people how much you paid for your sable"...
2005 Gibson Es 335

Last edited by ed62; 07-23-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Keep them on your watch list...you never know they may send you a great offer....that way if you do buy one you will never have to be "embarrassed to tell people how much you paid for your sable"...
Mine was a bargain at $6,000. What's wrong with that?

For those who would question my sanity, you have good reason, but not due to this post. It was a joke.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-23-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Mine was a bargain at $6,000. What's wrong with that?

For those who would question my sanity, you have good reason, but not due to this post. It was a joke.

Tony
Wow..and i thought sales tax was high here in NY..
2005 Gibson Es 335
Old 07-23-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow..and i thought sales tax was high here in NY..
Oh! Sorry, I forgot about the taxes. Well, then, $8,000.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Yep I had that one on my watch list also....
Glad that I was up early that morning
Old 07-23-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Glad that I was up early that morning
Actually I think they keep repeating the adds and dont actually carry the physical inventory in the store...at least this was the case with me because mine was drop shipped direct from Mcpherson to me.
2005 Gibson Es 335
Old 07-23-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Actually I think they keep repeating the adds and dont actually carry the physical inventory in the store...at least this was the case with me because mine was drop shipped direct from Mcpherson to me.
Oh nice, I never knew they did that.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Oh nice, I never knew they did that.
Yeah my offer from boston guitar had a 2 day time limit before it expired so Mcpherson probably holds the guitar for them for that time..after 2 days other vendors can do the same to try and sell that guitar...This is also how the vendor can offer free shipping because Mcpherson ships it direct to the customer at their cost
2005 Gibson Es 335

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber