The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
Yes, I think the rule came into force last February. Pressure to introduce it probably came from Martin's overseas distributors who had most to lose from the freedom of overseas buyers to buy from the US dealers at a big discount to the local price. In the UK, Martin distribution is handled by Westside and they effectively set the pricing in the UK which dealers seem to adhere to quite closely. It's a different game buying a Martin here than it seems to be in the US. Overseas buyers also miss out on the lifetime warranty and factory service. I'm happy with my D-28 but can't help feel that buying a Martin here is a bit of a mug's game. I'm not into collecting guitars or buying them for the sake of it, so I'm unlikely to be buying a new guitar any time soon but if I do I think I'll consider something produced more locally. An Atkin, something like that.
You’re right on the button there on all counts, Wattsy.

My two most recent purchases have been a Lowden and a Brook, both built in the UK, both top-quality instruments. I’ve also been very tempted indeed by a couple of Atkins.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
You’re right on the button there on all counts, Wattsy.

My two most recent purchases have been a Lowden and a Brook, both built in the UK, both top-quality instruments. I’ve also been very tempted indeed by a couple of Atkins.
Agreed, I paid £2200 for my Lowden F32 preowned at a shop (3 years old I think) and I think that is far better bang for buck than the Martins I was looking at around the same price in terms of build quality and standard of finish. I don’t think I would buy another Martin unless it was at American prices.

Moon guitars (Scottish) also look like a nice alternative, their entry level pricing is more or less the same as Martin standard series, although I haven’t played one.

Last edited by foxo; 01-14-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:23 PM

This subject nags at me. I bought my first Martin a few weeks ago. $1,899 for a 2014 000-18 in mint condition. I came home smiling ear to ear. I signed up for The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum only to read about 40% discounting on new Martins. As you can imagine, I felt utterly stupid (and kept that info away from my wife). I've played electrics for decades and know, for instance, how much a 2020 or 2014 MIA strat should cost. But I had no idea that such big discounts were out there for Martins.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopapa View Post
This subject nags at me. I bought my first Martin a few weeks ago. $1,899 for a 2014 000-18 in mint condition. I came home smiling ear to ear. I signed up for The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum only to read about 40% discounting on new Martins. As you can imagine, I felt utterly stupid (and kept that info away from my wife). I've played electrics for decades and know, for instance, how much a 2020 or 2014 MIA strat should cost. But I had no idea that such big discounts were out there for Martins.
You can take consolation in the fact that you got to play it first. A rarity among forum sponsor purchases. So in some respects you're better off by having played it before buying it. And you probably only (not that it's small change) paid a little more for that privilege. For what it's worth...you'll know better next time. And Martin's are like Lays potato chips...one never quite satisfies!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
There are a number of shops that routinely offer 40% off MSRP. My Favorite Guitars was just one of them...
That has not been my experience with those "number of shops".Maybe 35 per cent , but not consistently 40 per cent as MFG would quote.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
You can take consolation in the fact that you got to play it first. A rarity among forum sponsor purchases. So in some respects you're better off by having played it before buying it. And you probably only (not that it's small change) paid a little more for that privilege. For what it's worth...you'll know better next time. And Martin's are like Lays potato chips...one never quite satisfies!
Thanks. Don't tell my wife.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It happens. At least it was a used guitar not a new. The difference would have been more staggering. Now you know for your second Martin purchase
Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
That has not been my experience with those "number of shops".Maybe 35 per cent , but not consistently 40 per cent as MFG would quote.
I bought my D-41, D-28 and D-18 each for 40% off MSRP. It was the instant quote, no haggling necessary. I have no reason to believe you won’t be offered the same. PM me and I’ll be happy to tell you the name of the shop. A great guy and AGF sponsor. Get all my Martins from him...for obvious reasons.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 01-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. Don't tell my wife.
Your secret s safe with us!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Without that 40%, Martin likely wouldn't exist.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 01-14-2020, 04:52 PM

I've purchased locally and through MFG and Elderly. My local dealer will do 40% off but with 10% sales tax. The clear benefit is that I am supporting a local business that I like very much. Good repair and set up operation as well. Big plus is that I get to actually play the guitar before I buy it.

The downsides buying locally is the sales tax (this is gradually disappearing) and the fact that there is definitely shop wear. Online, internet only dealers may only take the guitar out of the case once, check the setup, photograph it (maybe) and put it back in the case. No hanging on the wall for several months being played and sometimes abused. Generally online dealers will also have a larger selection of models although not necessarily brands.

I guess I'm trying to say is pricing and discounts are certainly important, but there are other factors to be considered in making such a large $ purchase.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion