The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrick View Post
After a gig, a friend helped me break down. I had my Taylor 200 series in a gig bag unzipped. He picked it up, threw it over his shoulder to carry it and the guitar popped out and hit the concrete. Cracked the top off! He felt horrible, I assured him it was ok, it was my fault for not zipping the gig bag and that was why I play 200 series and not 900 series. Luthier I knew glued it back on and honestly, it played and sounded fine, you could see where there was some damage, but not unless you were up close. Such is gigging!

I hate having people who are uneducated, helping break down equipment.
It's just a recipe for disaster.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
Not really an accident, but I left my first (cheap) steel string behind when I moved out of state. Took years to replace it.
~Bob
In 1968 - on the last day of college - I was packing my car to drive home. Because my roommate and I were in and out our room was unlocked. A fraternity brother took that opportunity to steal my old Martin D-21 and my roommate's albums. My roommate got his albums back but not my guitar.

I think he still has it but he lives in Denver and I'm either on the East Coast or the West Coast. If you live in Denver and know someone who has an old D-21 say hello for me.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:46 AM

Default Your worst guitar accident

My brother had a guitar in college. He and some friends made a fake “mongoose “ cage as a practical joke. You showed it to a person and said “look close, the mongoose is asleep.” When the person got close they would throw a spring latch and a stuffed sock flew out. This was lots of fun until they tried to prank one of the football players. He was so frightened that he tore up the room trying to get away. He put a big foot right through my brother’s guitar. I don’t believe believe my brother has played has played since.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:46 AM

Compared to many previous posts, my story is really quite inconsequential.

All my guitar-playing life I had wanted a Gibson guitar. After playing for around 47 years, I finally bought one. A beautiful sunburst J15 (this was before sunbursts were officially offered) was now mine.

I played that guitar every day and was very fastidious about keeping it clean and being very careful when putting it back into its case as it was a nice tight and secure fit.

One day, I was taking it out of its case and for some reason I cannot remember, I lifted it higher than usual- right into a moving ceiling fan. There was a very loud bang and I was horrified! I couldn't bear to look for about 2-3 minutes but then opened my eyes and inspected the damage.

All that happened was a very small chip on one or the "high" points on the headstock. The headstock is black except for a tiny little spot that is wood colored.

After that, I'm not as horrified by little dings and dents. Of course I try my best to be careful but as Mr. Moustache said earlier, "... accidents happen..."

Best,
PJ
Old 08-07-2020, 12:50 PM

Was walking up the stairs in socks with my Martin OM-35, held by the neck, and I looked up at my wife. Foot/toe slipped off tread and I went down. Luckily, and instinctively, I twisted my body around and landed hard on the ribs. Bruised and sore for weeks, but I saved her.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:31 PM

When I was 14, I had a 12 String Greco Dreadnought. Sunburst with a 60’style Gibson B45 tailpiece. Nice, if cheap guitar. I had a cardboard case for it and I left it parked by one of the older members’ of our guitar mass Volkswagen Beetle. He ran over the guitar with his Beetle. Total loss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion