The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 06:40 AM

Default Martin D28 surface film question

I have a 1971 D28 that I bought new (I think I paid a whopping $600!) I've always stored it in the case and for the past few years have kept it humidified. But a while back I noticed this odd greasy film like coating on the surface of the guitar. I've tried to clean it using a damp rag, it comes back the next day! I talked to Martin and they can't tell me much without seeing it (it doesn't show up in a photo) and the local music store has no idea. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Any advice? Thanks -
Old 08-06-2020, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Maybe clean it with naphtha? It may come right off. Unless it's a finish issue. Someone with more experience may chime in with a better answer.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojack1 View Post
I have a 1971 D28 that I bought new (I think I paid a whopping $600!) I've always stored it in the case and for the past few years have kept it humidified. But a while back I noticed this odd greasy film like coating on the surface of the guitar. I've tried to clean it using a damp rag, it comes back the next day! I talked to Martin and they can't tell me much without seeing it (it doesn't show up in a photo) and the local music store has no idea. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? Any advice? Thanks -
What else is in your case? There's a thing where finishes will
react to nearby chemicals or substances. When the humidity
is OK outside the case, keep your guitar out of the case for some
days and see if the haze stays away...

-Mike
Old 08-06-2020, 06:51 AM

First possibility that comes to mind would be out gassing from a deteriorating pick guard. Someone here will know if Martin was using a celluloid of the type that breaks down in this manner. Out gassing will corrode metal, not sure about leaving a film?
Old 08-06-2020, 07:10 AM

Martin stopped using celluloid pickguards in 1967. This is a nitrocellulose problem, though. The lacquer formula that Martin was using in the late-1960's through the early-1970's tends to do this, particularly when the guitar is sealed in the case for an extended period. I have tried several methods to remove it, and it always comes back. The most lasting thing I have done is to heat the lacquer with a hair dryer and wipe it with a microfiber cloth. While heating, you will notice a change in the appearance of the surface. The residue will suddenly become more transparent, and at that point, wipes away easily. Don't heat past that stage, as you risk damage to the lacquer.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Martin stopped using celluloid pickguards in 1967. This is a nitrocellulose problem, though. The lacquer formula that Martin was using in the late-1960's through the early-1970's tends to do this, particularly when the guitar is sealed in the case for an extended period. I have tried several methods to remove it, and it always comes back. The most lasting thing I have done is to heat the lacquer with a hair dryer and wipe it with a microfiber cloth. While heating, you will notice a change in the appearance of the surface. The residue will suddenly become more transparent, and at that point, wipes away easily. Don't heat past that stage, as you risk damage to the lacquer.
Be real careful with that hair dryer...real careful

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-07-2020, 12:02 AM

Might be fumes coming from the pickgaurd, plastic binding, plastic bridge pins, or any plastic that is inside of the case.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:46 AM

Last year I bought a 1990's Stelling banjo that had a sticky coating on the nitro finished wooden parts. The coating felt like the kind of accumulation you get on a stove hood in the kitchen. Geoff Stelling recommended using naptha to clean the finish. The naptha did the job on the banjo. Some areas took a second cleaning to get it all.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:15 AM

I have the same issue on my early 60's 0-16NY..... The film is very thin and uniform, so much so that you can't actually see it until you run your fingers across the surface...... then you see a faint streak in the film, which disappears shortly thereafter.

I had attributed it to the case, which is also old and full of manmade materials. It seems to come off with a microfiber cloth. I need to clean it and leave it out of its case for a few days and see if the film returns. Maybe I will put another guitar, that does not have the film issue, in the case and see if it develops a film.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions - I appreciate it!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:41 AM

I had something similar in the area my arm skin touched the top when playing. A reputed luthier told me to wet a paper towel and place it on the area for 5 minutes, then scrub with the wadded wet towel. It really helped and I will repeat after each string change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion