The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 PM

Default Martin Bowlback

Please be patient, I have to share my excitement.

Back in the mid 60's, my brother bought a bowlback mandolin, most likely a Japanese import. He was taking violin lessons so he could play it. I was infatuated with it. I was amazed at the workmanship for what it cost, maybe $15-$20 bucks and when he wasn't around, I would play with it.

Well, I never lost that infatuation with bowlback mandolins. I can't believe how cheap these instruments are. I see these as historical art pieces. I just put money down for a 1915 Martin Style 3 in exquisite original condition. Brazilian Rosewood bowl, abalone engraved tortoise pickguard and rosette, ivory binding and tuner buttons, nickel plated engraved tuner covers and endpiece cover. This thing is a CITES nitemare. It also has the original tooled leather case. I can't believe these go next to nothing in todays vintage market.

This is the one I am buying

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/invent...le-3-bowl-back

I negotiated the price some with Intermountain Guitar and Banjo, they are my favorite guitar store. I bought my custom 00-28 through them under the recomendation of a long time Martin employee and friend. They are the best. Check them out.
Thanks for enduring my excitement. .......Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 12-20-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:34 AM

Some of those old bowlbacks are absolute works of art, and I'll agree that they're grossly undervalued - should be a nice instrument for folk or Celtic...
Old 12-20-2014, 08:12 AM

Very sweet. I got the mandolin bug a few years ago. I'm thinking of a vintage Martin flatback soon.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Hard to imagine that it's 100 years old. Looks near perfect.

I hope it sounds as good as it looks! Nice find. Enjoy!!

I'm afraid if I bought one I'd be obliged to learn some classical pieces and that seems like hard work to me
Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 AM

Bowl backs are still favored by many classical players. They just lack the projection and bite of the carved models but offer a sweet, intimate sound as an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments