The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-18-2024, 08:22 AM

Do what you think is best. Some folks here worry a bunch over resale value. Those people are collectors or have a foot in that camp. They would rather keep a guitar as close to original/new condition as possible and will most likely have negative view of drilling a second 1/4” jack. I’m a player. My guitars are tools to get the best reliable live sound for live performance. Yes, two 1/4” jacks on my custom made musatpick (my gigging six string). One is for a K&K and the other a Fishman REB. I like this set up a lot playing close to 500 shows. Is it the best today? Everyone will have an opinion about that as well but this works for me.

I would add in the past I would run this direct into two separate channels on a Bose T1 mixer. These days direct into a UI24 mixer.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 02-18-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Do what you think is best. Some folks here worry a bunch over resale value. Those people are collectors or have a foot in that camp. They would rather keep a guitar as close to original/new condition as possible and will most likely have negative view of drilling a second 1/4” jack. I’m a player. My guitars are tools to get the best reliable live sound for live performance. Yes, two 1/4” jacks on my custom made musatpick (my gigging six string). One is for a K&K and the other a Fishman REB. I like this set up a lot playing close to 500 shows. Is it the best today? Everyone will have an opinion about that as well but this works for me.

I would add in the past I would run this direct into two separate channels on a Bose T1 mixer. These days direct into a UI24 mixer.

Thanks. Now that I know I wouldn’t immediately need a mixer/preamp and stereo cable just to make the guitar function, I am not opposed to the TRS one jack setup. The guitar tech I use says he can do that, no problem. As noted, the only thing that might make me still go with two jacks is that I would have to do that to go with a Trance Amulet system, which I really like from what research I’ve done, the manual for that says it won’t work with a stereo cable, says it won’t power up properly, so I am assuming it doesn’t have a TRS jack.

So switching gears, anyone, how great is the Trance Amulet?
Old 02-20-2024, 05:41 PM

To the OP:
No disrespect intended!!!
BUT
I assume this is an "itch" you just have to scratch...because I can see no reason to do anything to any guitar that I would use .01% of the time.

JMHO.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-20-2024, 05:48 PM

ok, don't do it, please
Old 02-20-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
To the OP:
No disrespect intended!!!
BUT
I assume this is an "itch" you just have to scratch...because I can see no reason to do anything to any guitar that I would use .01% of the time.

JMHO.
But see, I want to use THE GUITAR more than .01% of the time. I think you misunderstood me. It’s a fantastic acoustic guitar unplugged. I don’t want to use the P-100 electric guitar pickup it’s equipped with but
.01% of the time. You talk about not sounding like an acoustic plugged in, LOL.

I need the option to play acoustic in our church praise band. I’m playing all electric right now, I need the acoustic option. I want this to be my No. 1 acoustic. For it to be that, I need to be able to amplify it as an acoustic.

And right now, as I noted in a separate post, I am looking at doing that with a Baggs HiFi, a Baggs Element Active (I am not afraid of a UST because this is going to be in a loud full band setting with drums) or a
Baggs Lyric, in that order of preference.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:29 PM

Following up, I bought this guitar on a wild hair itch because I am a John Lennon fan. I wasn’t thinking about it as an acoustic guitar at the time. And I don’t want to totally remove that John Lennon connection, it’s why I don’t want to just disconnect the P-100 and be done with it. But unlike John’s plywood box it’s all solid woods, and given that the serial number indicates the guitar was constructed in Bozeman in 1989, as you can imagine those woods are aged quite nicely. Again, I just want to amplify it as an acoustic, and our setup at church is not conducive with micing it.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:58 PM

I wouldn’t pursue the anthem, you’ll have to add a hole under the saddle and then get your saddle reworked to accommodate the UST.

I think the TRS jack approach is the way to go.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 02-20-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
I wouldn’t pursue the anthem, you’ll have to add a hole under the saddle and then get your saddle reworked to accommodate the UST.

I think the TRS jack approach is the way to go.
I’m not interested in the Anthem because of the large unit you have to put in the soundhole. Leaving the P-100 in place means that area is already a little crowded.

I realize SBTs are viewed more positively than USTs here, and the HiFi is at the top of my list, but again this is going to be a rhythm guitar in a band situation with a pretty stout drummer, there’s not going to be any delicate solo acoustic work where I am going to move heaven and earth to get pristine acoustic sound. I’m OK with compromises in the grand scheme of things.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:08 PM

i'm not wanted in this conversation, true lol but sounds like you need to get another drummer that'll use brushes and turn everyone down, way down

Last edited by Jaxon; 02-20-2024 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
i'm not wanted in this conversation, true lol but sounds like you need to get another drummer that'll use brushes and turn everyone down, way down
Old 02-20-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
But see, I want to use THE GUITAR more than .01% of the time. I think you misunderstood me. It’s a fantastic acoustic guitar unplugged. I don’t want to use the P-100 electric guitar pickup it’s equipped with but
.01% of the time. You talk about not sounding like an acoustic plugged in, LOL.

I need the option to play acoustic in our church praise band. I’m playing all electric right now, I need the acoustic option. I want this to be my No. 1 acoustic. For it to be that, I need to be able to amplify it as an acoustic.

And right now, as I noted in a separate post, I am looking at doing that with a Baggs HiFi, a Baggs Element Active (I am not afraid of a UST because this is going to be in a loud full band setting with drums) or a
Baggs Lyric, in that order of preference.
I DID misunderstand. I thought you were happy with the pickup that's in the guitar...
My bad.

That said, I would go with the TRS jack as has been suggested. You mentioned Trance won't work with a stereo jack, but there are plenty of pickup fishes in the sea!
It would be an easy issue for your tech to have the new acoustic pickup wired to the tip of the TRS jack and Gibson mag pickup wired to the ring. Then, when you use a mono cable, all that would be working would be the acoustic pickup.
You are correct in that an UST (like an Element) would serve you better, based on you playing in high volume settings with a band. An SBT would likely be problematic in that environment.

As a final note, I chased THE sound for a lot of years and a lot of money. Now, my guitars (with 2 exceptions) are single source pickups (Element) going into a Fishman Pro Platinum and then into a Genzler Acoustic Array amp. I am very happy with my sound and have accepted that "your guitar, only louder" is a fantasy sold by pickup makers. That fantasy (your guitar, only louder) happens with a great microphone, pointed at your guitar.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 02-20-2024 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

I would humbly suggest an Ultra Tonic which has a spare solder pad for the unused RING connection on the included TRS-PCB assembly. It can mount in the same hole you currently have your jack in. You'd wire the connection from the existing P90 system to that RING connection point, and the TIP would be the Ultra Tonic sound board transducer.

Plugging a standard mono plug in, you'd have the Ultra Tonic for your 99% use case. If you do want to access the P90, just use a TRS breakout cable.

This is exactly what I've done on my Gibson AJ with added P90. I use both circuits all the time, and it is great.

BTW - I've got my eye out for a guitar like yours - the standard model with solid top and X-bracing. I can imagine how great it sounds!
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 02-20-2024, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I would humbly suggest an Ultra Tonic which has a spare solder pad for the unused RING connection on the included TRS-PCB assembly. It can mount in the same hole you currently have your jack in. You'd wire the connection from the existing P90 system to that RING connection point, and the TIP would be the Ultra Tonic sound board transducer.

Plugging a standard mono plug in, you'd have the Ultra Tonic for your 99% use case. If you do want to access the P90, just use a TRS breakout cable.

This is exactly what I've done on my Gibson AJ with added P90. I use both circuits all the time, and it is great.

BTW - I've got my eye out for a guitar like yours - the standard model with solid top and X-bracing. I can imagine how great it sounds!
I will absolutely level with you. I looked at your system but setting all those switches scares me and I'm sure my tech has probably never seen them either LOL.

And again it is a wonderful acoustic guitar. I've had people who tell me I'm crazy, but I think the 15-fret neck, as opposed to 14 on other round shoulder Gibsons like the J-45, gives it a little different vibe. Although I can't put my finger on any specific reason why that should be the case.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm definitely in the minority of those here who like the Element, but I find it provides a consistent, useable sound for my live work. Is it a perfect acoustic tone, no... but stick a decent eq in front of it and it just works. Lots of volume before feedback make it good for a loud band too.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-21-2024, 02:01 PM

Admittedly I’ve only done it once but setting the switches on the Ultra Tonic is not hard at all. It is just an extra step to do once and then you don’t touch them again. And there are instructions on James’ JME website. So, don’t let *that* stop you. _RP

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification