The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 06:27 PM

Default Help with a Fender with a long headstock

I have been playing acoustic guitar for about a little over 3 weeks. I just sold my Fender CD-60SCE last week and picked up a new Fender Redondo Player (My GOD this guitar sounds and feels and plays so much better than the CD-60SCE, and that's coming from a newbie).

Well the question is, the headstock on my Fender Redondo Player is long... So I was wondering if I should invest in a 12 string hard case instead of a 6 string? The only difference I can see from a 12 string guitar and a 6 string guitar aside from having 12 strings, is the headstock is longer. So the case should fit great, right? If not, suggestions?

Here is the case I am looking to buy. Not sure if I am supposed to post outer links to other websites. So copy and paste below onto Google and it should be on Amazon for 129:

Gator Cases Deluxe ABS Molded Case for Dreadnought Style Acoustic Guitars (GC-DREAD)

Thank you so much you guys!

Last edited by LeDave; 07-12-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:38 PM

Measure them both (the whole guitar), and see how much difference there is.

Here’s the inside dimensions of that case.

Overall Length 41.25”
Body Length 23”
Body Height 5.5”
Upper Bout Width 12.5”
Middle Bout Width 12.25”
Lower Bout Width 16”
Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 AM

That certainly is a monster headstock, alot bigger than what's on a Strat that's for sure. Best thing to do in my opinion is to take the guitar with you and see what case "suits it" the best
Old 07-13-2020, 08:24 AM

My 1961 Gibson B45-12 has a humongous headstock. It juts out about 9 1/4" above the nut. Luckily the Gibson Victoria Luggage case of the day was built to accomodate both 6 and 12 string J45s.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 AM

That's a terrific photo!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:02 AM

I suspect many hard shell cases are made with traditional headstocks in mind.
A 12 string case should work.
And then there is the Fender gig bag made for that model:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/access...991432406.html
Old 07-13-2020, 12:43 PM

I have an old Fender Capistrano (CA series) from '85. It has the Strat headstock, too, also much bigger than my actual Strat's headstock. The guitar fit perfectly into an inexpensive wooden dreadnought case by Musician's Friend, which I purchased to rid myself of the chipboard case it originally came in.

I admit, when I purchased the dreadnought case for that guitar, it never occurred to me it wouldn't fit. Since it did fit, I never thought about it again. I suspect your guitar will fit in a standard dreadnought case as well, although a simple measuring tape might be advisable. You probably don't want a too-large case any more than it being too small.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:00 PM

Thanks guys. I went to Musical Go Round today and did not expect them to have the Gator Acoustic Dreadnaught case there used and on sale at $50 bucks.

It's a bit banged up but mechanical functions such as the latches and such were flawless in working. I brought my guitar with and it fits perfectly in the case. Like literally every millimeters are filled. Not a single space left. I quickly snatched it for that price.

I'll post a picture later.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:09 PM

Old 07-13-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post

Sure seems to fit like a glove. Nice guitar too happy NGD!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion