The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
So do you find it holds up well to some heavy strumming?
Holds up pretty good sitting in my house. It's definitely not boomy like a lot of dreads - more balanced and focused. It definitely has a sound all its own. I'll be playing it out for the first time this weekend.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Holds up pretty good sitting in my house. It's definitely not boomy like a lot of dreads - more balanced and focused. It definitely has a sound all its own. I'll be playing it out for the first time this weekend.

Sounds good. I’m used to Martin dreads which I can lay into and not overdrive the tops. I’ve found Taylor GA are too delicate for my ham-fisted style. Maybe the GPs will be different.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Just picked up a 517 with the sunburst, and dang it's a beautiful guitar! I front a band, and will be using it primarily for rhythm strumming. I purchased it sans the ES2, and just had a Baggs Anthem SL installed. I had a pickguard custom designed for it based on the R. Taylor Style 3 (dread) pickguard shape, but haven't applied it yet. The pickguard looks fantastic on it, and I tend to prefer a pickguard on my guitars, but still thinking about whether to stick it on the 517. BTW - I got a very nice price on it from Willcutt Guitars in Lexington, KY. I REALLY like this guitar.
Congrats to you! I have had my burst 517 for almost 3 months and am enjoying it very much. It has a warm, dry articulate tone that sounds really good to my ears! And it just feels so good playing it. I hope you enjoy yours for many years.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Shipped out the 000-18 this morning. I bought the 000-18 because I LOVE Julian Lage and his sound. But, alas, I discovered that I am no Julian Lage, and while it was cool having that sound, it just isn't me. I like big guitars with big sound.

I've now played three 717s, and each time I liked them more and more. The comfort and aesthetic sucked me in first, but it just sounds right for DADGAD. I am not looking at these guitars for bluegrass or standard tuning, but specifically for DADGAD. 75% of what I play is in DADGAD.

So, sound wise the 717 is balanced and the low end is strong but not overpowering. I'd say it replicates what I loved about the 000-18 and just amps it up a bit. The sound is right in between a Martin and a Gibson. It's got enough of that honky midrange I love in the Gibson, but with the assertiveness and power of a Martin dread. Low end is enveloping, rather than forward and out front.

Oh yeah....so here she is....

Beautiful guitar Shades of Blue! After reading your post this morning I found myself thinking about which of mine I could sell to get a 717.... Finding a place locally where I can play a 717 right now may be a challenge, but I'm making it a priority. Enjoy your new voice!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I played a 717 builders edition (Sunburst torrefied Sitka over EIR) at the NYC Sam Ash a few weeks back. It was a nice guitar! I loved the medium-fat C neck, which was noticeably fuller than the standard Taylor neck (which I like). The semi-matte finish and overall aesthetic reminded me of a less glossy Lowden (which are also semi-matte finished).

Playability was great but the tone was 'okay,' certainly nothing to make me want to sell any of my boutiques to buy one. I wouldn't call it lightly built either. Not heavy, but could be made a lot lighter.

Nice guitar and I'm sure it will sell very well for them.
They had three out last week, I gave them a quick play (30 seconds each) and thought they sounded really good. The tone was Taylor, a little closer to Martin. If I had to, I could make one work as my only acoustic. I wouldn't trade my 2011 914ce for one though.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm also a new GP owner as of this week - I chose the 317e. Two weeks ago was my first opportunity to play these gems, and they had a 317 and 517 available. While the 317/517 I played were not quite as responsive and loud as my K16 for the light fingerstyle I primarily play, they did have more volume than my former 324 and had such a nice roundness to the notes (perhaps even more so). Since my criticism of the 324 mainly centered around volume (or the lack thereof) and the store offered a very favorable trade in for the 324, I'm now the proud owner of a new 317e!

In terms of comparisons with the other Grand Pacific models, my first experience was with the 317 and 517. I thought the 317 had slightly more rounded trebles and a more full bass response with fingerstyle whereas the 517 was a touch better at strumming (you can also sort of hear this with Taylor's own sound samples of these on their website). This past weekend at the road show I got to briefly sample the 717 in a fairly loud room and compare it against the 517 - not ideal conditions to say the least but I didn't observe appreciable differences with the light classical fingerstyle I usually play. At the road show demo, they performed a strumming comparison of these two, and to my ear, it was the classical hog versus rosewood differences.
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-23-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Sounds good. I’m used to Martin dreads which I can lay into and not overdrive the tops. I’ve found Taylor GA are too delicate for my ham-fisted style. Maybe the GPs will be different.

You know, if I was to try out a Grand Pacific for the sole purpose of strumming chords in standard tuning, I can’t say this guitar would excite me all that much when Martins and Gibsons sound so good already. If you were looking for something to keep in a different tuning or use for a different style of playing, then this guitar becomes interesting.

With a D-41 at the ready, I can’t see the Grand Pacific being all that enticing.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
You know, if I was to try out a Grand Pacific for the sole purpose of strumming chords in standard tuning, I can’t say this guitar would excite me all that much when Martins and Gibsons sound so good already. If you were looking for something to keep in a different tuning or use for a different style of playing, then this guitar becomes interesting.

With a D-41 at the ready, I can’t see the Grand Pacific being all that enticing.
Yep...that’s pretty much true with any other guitar. I’ve had the 41 for 18 months and it already turned a D-18, J-45 and 714ce V-Class into case queens. Sold them all and bought a relatively inexpensive new Martin slope dread (DSS-17) to be its backup. It’s pretty much a case queen now too...but at least I don’t feel as guilty as when an iconic Martin and Gibson were collecting dust in the music room.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 PM

I hear you man, that’s fantastic. If I felt that way about a guitar, I think I’d only look for guitars that are so different that there is no way you could compare the two.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
I'm also a new GP owner as of this week - I chose the 317e. Two weeks ago was my first opportunity to play these gems, and they had a 317 and 517 available.
Congrats on the new 317.

I played a 317 and a 517 today. Both very nice. I thought the 317 tone was a little more raw. Seemed to have a bit more bass and bite to it. The 517 sounded more refined to me. Very smooth tone from the 517. I liked the 317 better. It had a more aggressive tone to my ear. I could have fun with that. Both seemed very versatile whether using a pick or fingerpicking.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
Congrats on the new 317.

I played a 317 and a 517 today. Both very nice. I thought the 317 tone was a little more raw. Seemed to have a bit more bass and bite to it. The 517 sounded more refined to me. Very smooth tone from the 517. I liked the 317 better. It had a more aggressive tone to my ear. I could have fun with that. Both seemed very versatile whether using a pick or fingerpicking.
The shop I ventured into had two 717s and a 517. No 317s, but I was more interested in rosewood as I don't have a rosewood guitar right now.

I would have loved to have purchased my 717 at the shop, but they only stock models with ES2. That, and they wouldn't budge on price, which is unfortunate.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The shop I ventured into had two 717s and a 517. No 317s, but I was more interested in rosewood as I don't have a rosewood guitar right now.

I would have loved to have purchased my 717 at the shop, but they only stock models with ES2. That, and they wouldn't budge on price, which is unfortunate.
I don't need another guitar and one of these really wouldn't add anything to what I already have, but I can't stop thinking about that 317. That doesn't bode well for my wallet...
Old 05-24-2019, 11:01 AM

Default Quick Question.

The GPs have been out long enough for people to need to make a string change.
I learned that I did not like Elixers long before I bought my first Taylor Guitar. Now when I buy a Taylor, one of the first things I do is to change strings.
I am curious if the GPs respond to string brands like my
510e does. It really likes the Martin PH lifespan strings. I wont say its a completely different guitar, but it is a much better sounding guitar with the Martin strings.
Just curious if People have started experimenting with strings on their GPs.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
I don't need another guitar and one of these really wouldn't add anything to what I already have, but I can't stop thinking about that 317. That doesn't bode well for my wallet...
On the other hand, your wallet would be happier with a 317 than a 517 or 717. FWIW I purchased a 317 several weeks ago, and am real pleased - it could easily be my only guitar....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-24-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
On the other hand, your wallet would be happier with a 317 than a 517 or 717. FWIW I purchased a 317 several weeks ago, and am real pleased - it could easily be my only guitar....
That's high praise! As I wait for my 717, I have asked myself what I would do if I fall in love with it, but I don't want to put the cart before the horse. I'm not great at keeping things around the house that don't get used.

My goal as a guitar player is to get to the point where our dear Rev Roy is....where you have that single guitar that makes the rest obsolete.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion