The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2023, 11:09 AM

Default Do I really need an acoustic amp for a causal open mic?

I started going to an open mic in my area. It's a very casual affair; there is no sign-up sheet ... you just tell the leader you want to play two or three songs and that's it. They have a modest P.A. setup with a monitor that I can barely hear through.

One guy brings his electric guitar and amp and plays instrumentals. I was thinking about bringing an amp to one of these open mics and I was wondering if I really, really have to buy an acoustic amp or just use of my electric guitar modeling amps that have an accoustic mode. It's my understanding the speaker in my modeling amps have somewhat of a FR FR format so the sound may be good.

Yes I know the acoustic amp will sound better (or should) ... but as I said this is for a casual open mic with a friendly crowd so do you think my modeling amp will be OK?

Thanks.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-31-2023, 11:27 AM

Just use the house system the first time and see how it works for you.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Just use the house system the first time and see how it works for you.
As I said I really can't hear myself through the monitor. It's just a regular loudspeaker put on its side. I really have no idea what my playing sounds like. Or maybe I just need some kind of personal small monitor I can bring.

At home I just play unplugged most of the time so I don't see much of a need for an amp of any kind.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-31-2023, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

If the amp you have sounds decent to you at home through the acoustic mode, I don't see why you shouldn't try it at the open mic, since apparently they don't mind folks bringing their own simple equipment. I mean for two or three songs at a casual, why the heck not?

It doesn't have to sound super-acoustic-y anyway as long as it's a reasonably pleasant tone.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
As I said I really can't hear myself through the monitor.
Can you have the host turn up the monitor mix a little more? It just may benefit everyone in attendance. Just a thought
Old 01-31-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlover View Post
Can you have the host turn up the monitor mix a little more? It just may benefit everyone in attendance. Just a thought
I will consider that. I will ask first if the "main" performers (there are about 4-6 regulars) have any problem. But I really can't hear my guitar or singing to be honest.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-31-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I will consider that. I will ask first if the "main" performers (there are about 4-6 regulars) have any problem. But I really can't hear my guitar or singing to be honest.
I think that is best. Martinlover and Chriscom's suggestions, too.

It sounds like your open mic ethos is like mine; many performers in the audience. Ask the other performers what you sound like and if they have trouble hearing the monitor. Ask person running the sound if the monitor can be turned up.

Small, friendly, informal gatherings can be VERY flexible.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I've never owned an acoustic amp, but I've been at plenty of informal performance settings where we've put acoustic instruments or keyboards through clean guitar amps or my small bass amp, and while they tend to roll off some high end compared to acoustic amps or a good PA setup, it works fine for that kind of situation
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 01-31-2023, 02:28 PM

Did my first open mic last week as well. The guy runs a pa tower that faces the crowd and sounds great listening, once I was up on the stage I was behind it and couldn't hear well at all. Guess you just roll with the punches.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I started going to an open mic in my area. It's a very casual affair; there is no sign-up sheet ... you just tell the leader you want to play two or three songs and that's it. They have a modest P.A. setup with a monitor that I can barely hear through.

One guy brings his electric guitar and amp and plays instrumentals. I was thinking about bringing an amp to one of these open mics and I was wondering if I really, really have to buy an acoustic amp or just use of my electric guitar modeling amps that have an accoustic mode. It's my understanding the speaker in my modeling amps have somewhat of a FR FR format so the sound may be good.

Yes I know the acoustic amp will sound better (or should) ... but as I said this is for a casual open mic with a friendly crowd so do you think my modeling amp will be OK?

Thanks.
As a general rule, open mic hosts dislike to see people dragging in their own amps because it might well get the sound out of their control.

Unfortunately, “casual listening” environments are a freaking three ring circus where most of the performers want to be louder and most everyone else (waitresses, bartenders, managers and patrons) want the music to be quiet enough to take orders or converse with their neighbors. The host is frequently hearing it from both constituencies (multiple times a night).

On the one hand, you have players who just want a little amp to monitor themselves while sending a signal to the PA mixer for the host to manage. On the other hand, the host will be dealing with folks who bring an amp with the intention of putting on a rock concert. If you truly need an amp to hear yourself, be example #1.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogblues View Post
Did my first open mic last week as well. The guy runs a pa tower that faces the crowd and sounds great listening, once I was up on the stage I was behind it and couldn't hear well at all. Guess you just roll with the punches.
Yes. As you gain experience you will find the sound will not always be pristine. Learn to do your best with the situation you’re presented with.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Yes. As you gain experience you will find the sound will not always be pristine. Learn to do your best with the situation you’re presented with.
That was one of my biggest complaints playing live...The old fart pickers I played with when I started out could hear no problem..sometimes they would use a small monitor like with a 4-5in speaker on top of a Main they stood next too...But I just couldn't hear it well, So eventually I learned too sing from feelings ie.., Chest/head sound.. but I'm at my best when I'm immersed with the sound of my voice.
I've even tried to put some kind of reflector behind the mic, like cupping your hands to hear better...
In the end....Plug into the PA so you have minium stage volume because it always seems like your guitar amp and monitor are fighting for sonic space
Old 02-01-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdogblues View Post
Yes, I do open mics and jams pretty often and the stage audio is never like the audience's and sometimes downright inaudible other than the feeling something loud is happening out front. That being said, I can usually hear myself well enough to not lose track of where I am.

Monitors take some finessing too, the last time I played with one at a local open mic venue, it didn't help at all.

Despite all that I don't mean to be a downer, these events are fun!
Old 02-01-2023, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

My experience with open mics, even the ones run by pros who know what they're doing is you can never really hear yourself very good at all. But an open mic is a learning experience and a school for future giggers. Learn to work with the limitations you're given and when you do have an opportunity to perform in ideal conditions you'll be even better.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-01-2023, 10:03 AM

Keep it simple. I would go with the house system-especially the first time or first few times - rather than futz with personal gear. You can get in and out and not have to worry about equipment. Can focus on music. Was not clear if this was your first time at the venue because you mentioned not being able to hear yourself...
Generally I would not want to bring an amp to an open mic. At most I would bring a personal preampl/DI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification