The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-06-2020, 03:15 PM

Default Help with another technique problem

Hey again,

OK, I have another technique problem that has always bugged me. When I fingerpick with three fingers, my third finger makes a much quieter note than the other two. The index and middle and loud'n'proud, but the ring finger is a lot more bashful.

Does anyone have any tips of getting that third finger to pull its weight more?

-Mark
Old 12-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Maybe have a talk with the guy controlling the fingers?

Are you using flesh of the fingertips or nails?

As crazy and boring as it sounds, consider actually practicing scales with your fingers, consciously working on boosting the ring finger volume.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Hey again,

OK, I have another technique problem that has always bugged me. When I fingerpick with three fingers, my third finger makes a much quieter note than the other two. The index and middle and loud'n'proud, but the ring finger is a lot more bashful.

-Mark
Yes Mark, I have the same problem. The answer for me is not to use the ring finger unless the song absolutely demands it. That’s probably not good technique, especially if you are playing classical music or sophisticated fingerstyle stuff, but it works pretty good for me (and a lot of others, some of whom I’m sure you’ve heard of).

Last edited by reeve21; 12-06-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:13 PM

Hey Bob, and Mando,

Yes that works for me too. However I'm doing a Truefire course with Tommy Emmanuel and he won't let me do that

My fingernails all all approx the same length, and I play with the flesh with all three. I just don't seem to get the excursion with the ring that I do with the others. I'm sure it is just practice, I was hoping for a magical recipe...

- Mark
Old 12-06-2020, 07:32 PM

Sometimes it's partially the guitar. Each of my four guitars is slightly different (loudness between strings), so I need to adjust my technique. Practice and experience has allowed me to adjust as necessary.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

The ring finger is your weakest finger so that is probably the root cause of your problem. Some might advise to practice scales but I believe a good book of arpeggio exercises that use PIMA and work on developing even and consistent tone with thumb and all three fingers will help you solve this issue.

I recommend 120 Arpeggios for Fingerstyle Guitar by Nicola Mandorino at www.guitarnick.com. The arpeggio exercises are pleasant to play and way less tedious than playing scales. I woodshed with it at least once a week.

Good luck.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:56 PM

Thanks Bob, I've bought Nick's book as a result and it gets here Thursday. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
The ring finger is your weakest finger so that is probably the root cause of your problem. Some might advise to practice scales but I believe a good book of arpeggio exercises that use PIMA and work on developing even and consistent tone with thumb and all three fingers will help you solve this issue.

I recommend 120 Arpeggios for Fingerstyle Guitar by Nicola Mandorino at www.guitarnick.com. The arpeggio exercises are pleasant to play and way less tedious than playing scales. I woodshed with it at least once a week.

Good luck.
How is it different than that classical guy Giuliani's 120 exercises? His are free on the net.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-07-2020, 01:51 AM

I don't have good right hand technique, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

For over a year, I have been working diligently on correcting my right hand. My hand has gone through many transformations....with each transformation bringing me closer to an optimal hand position and technique. As I advance from one transformation to another, my fingers, especially the ring finger, are starting to have a more solid and clean attack. Also during these transformations, I've activated some fine muscles on the side of my hand where the pinky and ring finger are.

Throughout my ongoing ordeal, I've noticed a correlation. If you cannot play arpeggios fast, then most likely you have bad right hand technique. Without drilling on speed, I've been able to play faster as my right hand improves.

With that said, I suspect you are playing with bad right hand technique like a lot of us. If you wish to correct that, there are videos on YouTube to help you along.

I hope that helps.

Su
Old 12-07-2020, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
How is it different than that classical guy Giuliani's 120 exercises? His are free on the net.
It’s just a recommendation on the Mandorino book, it’s like $20 so doesn’t break the bank. I don’t know anything about the online Giuliani exercises. I like the Mandorino material because the arpeggio’s are engaging and pleasant to play so that I look forward to using them.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Hey again,

-Mark
Hi Mark

I taught fingerstyle for 40 years (for $$$). When we needed to strengthen a finger, it was practice, practice, practice.

Deliberate exercises which involved all three fingers and careful listening. You just have to do thousands (or tens of) of repetitions properly at slow speeds and then increase till it's natural to your brain/hand.

No gimmick or equipment, just deliberate, careful, intentional repetition all over the neck, and in inner string combinations as well as the treble strings.

It's not necessary to only focus on that technique to the exclusion of making music. It's more like adding a targeted strength exercise to a workout regimen.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Get off my lawn kid

This is interesting. I started watching it last night.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-07-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I think there is no doubt that doing the exercises such as the arpeggios including the ring finger are the most effective way to address this problem.

However, I'm kind of a slacker and when I see "practice, practice, practice," I get a little queasy. (Actually, I love to practice, but I only practice songs or parts of songs--very unsystematic).

Anyway, I ran into this problem when after 40 years of picking with thumb and two fingers, I found myself wanting to learn pieces that really required that ring finger, so I just started doing it. I'm still not very good at getting the right sound out of the third finger, but along with just playing that way, I worked on strength and dexterity away from the guitar. Specifically, I had one of those little spring loaded devices that works the fingers individually. I'd gotten it originally for strengthening fingers on my fretting hand, but then got the bright idea (duh) of using it with my picking hand.

I definitely think it helped strengthen that seldom used finger, but I also found it helped develop independent movement among the fingers. Best of all, I could just mindlessly use it while watching tv and I didn't have to sacrifice valuable guitar time doing exercises that my not-better nature objected to.

Good luck and may you be more diligent than I am.
Larry

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Yeah, just work on it and you’ll see the results. Practice p/a-m-i patterns in which your ring finger plays a sort of melody. If you don’t know what I mean, your thumb (p) plays a bass string and your ring (a) plays a treble string at the same time, and your middle (m) and index (i) play other treble strings (so you're playing arpeggios). You play like that in triplets over a three- or four-beat rhythm and look for ways to play different sets of strings to add some variety, while picking out a melody with your ring finger. But take it easy: You’ll strain yourself if you overdo it, what with all the repetition ("pinching" with thumb and ring) and probably playing harder than usual, and a tendon injury from playing like that is bad news.

That's basically all that's happening in Romance Anónimo. Here's one YouTube video; there are many more. I think it's better to play rest strokes with the thumb (it plays the sixth string and comes to rest on the fifth). You can just learn the first part if it's too much.

Last edited by NormanKliman; 12-07-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:30 PM

Thanks very much guys! I'll take this all on board and report back in a few weeks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write