The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Larrivee question!

I am in the market for a new guitar and am leaning towards Larrivee. I have owned a D-03R in the past and kick myself almost daily for letting it go. My question is this: I cannot decide if I want another D style Larrivee or an L body and I can't find any "L" body Larrivee's in my area to play. There are very few Larrivee's period hanging on store shelves in my part of the world (S.E. Kansas) and I cannot find a single "L" body to put hands on. How do they compare in size to a Gibson slope shoulder dread? I own a Gibson J-15 and really like the size and am curious if they are close in shape. Also sound wise are the L bodies a big departure from the dreads? I mostly strum and do some fingerpicking and don't have a very heavy hand. Thanks in advance!
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:45 AM

They are close in size and shape. I owned an L03 Cedar/Mahogany. Sold it...my bad.
Based on your style of play, I'm sure you would be happy with any L03.
If you could get your hands on a Cedar/Mahogany I would bet you would fall in love with it.
Very strummable as long as you don't beat on it. Warm and balanced with a pretty voicing.
It would be the perfect alternative to your J15.
Very comfy to play and IMHO, the flagship product of the Larrivee' offering.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-22-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:47 AM

I believe an L body will be slightly smaller than a Gibby slope.

The L will also be shallower than the D model. If things are still the way they were, the L will have a 1 3/4 neck and the D 1 11/16, which is a significant factor.

Based on the way you say you play, the L may actually be more suitable. The shallower body will be a bit more articulate with a slightly faster response, coupled with a bit more room on the board at the nut lends itself to fingerste...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Grayum View Post
I cannot decide if I want another D style Larrivee or an L body and I can't find any "L" body Larrivee's in my area to play. There are very few Larrivee's period hanging on store shelves in my part of the world (S.E. Kansas) and I cannot find a single "L" body to put hands on. How do they compare in size to a Gibson slope shoulder dread? I own a Gibson J-15 and really like the size and am curious if they are close in shape. Also sound wise are the L bodies a big departure from the dreads? I mostly strum and do some fingerpicking and don't have a very heavy hand. Thanks in advance!
You might try your question at Larrivee Forum

Am sure guys who've played 'em will respond

Here's chart of body dimensions, note that the D and L models have different nut widths . . .

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-22-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Removed link
Old 08-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I believe an L body will be slightly smaller than a Gibby slope. The L will also be shallower than the D model. If things are still the way they were, the L will have a 1 3/4 neck and the D 1 11/16, which is a significant factor....
Ed was too modest to suggest it in his post, so I will. Let him build you a custom Halcyon guitar to your desired specs. I've heard nothing but good things.....
Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
They are close in size and shape. I owned an L03 Cedar/Mahogany. Sold it...my bad.
Based on your style of play, I'm sure you would be happy with any L03.
If you could get your hands on a Cedar/Mahogany I would bet you would fall in love with it.
Very strummable as long as you don't beat on it. Warm and balanced with a pretty voicing.
It would be the perfect alternative to your J15.
Very comfy to play and IMHO, the flagship product of the Larrivee' offering.
I feel your pain rokdog...I wish I had never parted with my rosewood dread. It was a fine representation of what Larrivee can do! I'm still torn. As you can see from my signature I have two slope shoulders now that I really love but not sure If I'd be happy with another regular dread.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:33 AM

The L05 is a great guitar.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:41 AM

I’ve got an L-10 & an L-03 flamed maple custom shop, they’re great guitars. Just FYI guitars built after Oct 2017 the neck radius is 16 vs the compound 17-21, for some it matters, but I like the earlier necks
Old 08-22-2018, 10:48 AM

Au contraire...

Mine do not sound like Larrivee’s, so if you want the Larrivee sound...buy Larrivee...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
I’ve got an L-10 & an L-03 flamed maple custom shop, they’re great guitars. Just FYI guitars built after Oct 2017 the neck radius is 16 vs the compound 17-21, for some it matters, but I like the earlier necks
So if I understand they are not making the compound radius necks anymore?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 AM

In my opinion, the L shape is the perfect Larrivee body shape. You can check my sig to see that I have experience with many of their guitars. Of all of the ones I own, the L is the last one I would sell. It has a nice full, balanced sound. I passed on an opportunity to buy a rosewood L and regret that decision. It's still on my bucket list if I don't spring for that 000-28 Martin sunburst that I played and that keeps me awake at night.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Here's a wrench. Also consider the Larrivee SD-40 (either mahogany or rosewood). 12-fret Slope Dread, long scale, they are wonderful guitars with lots of mojo.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:11 PM

I have an older L-09 that I have thought about selling and always decide against. I have compared it with my J-35 and found it is almost identical in shape, except for body depth. They feel very different, however. The Gibson sounds good, but the Larrivee just sounds and feels better and warmer in every respect. It may just be the differences in older, opened up rosewood and Sitka compared to newer mahogany and spruce, but it is definitely there.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:43 PM

I may be in the minority but I love the larrivee
Dread ,I gave away a do3r and it was a stupid thing to do
I miss that great sounding guitar,equal to a Martin d28 in my opinion
Don't rule out another one,the L has a wider neck and not
As much volume
Good luck
Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Presumably you've checked with E.M. Shorts in Wichita, my English friend bought a Larrivee there and I took it across the pond to him. It was an electric, but surely they sell acoustics as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion