The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Lefty searching for nylon string, Under $1500

Help lefties, searching for a good, if not great nylon string. Few reviews on Taylor's new line, plus I don't want to go that high in price, very few lefty models, like la patrie concert, especially since they went solid wood this year, found a cordoba C5, ce but its not solid wood and I have a tough time buying Chinese products, not because I hate the Chinese, but rather I worry about quality, the c5 I found is 400 has built in tuner, electronics. Taylor has smaller nut, which may or may not work for finger picking. Any info, advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog55 View Post
Help lefties, searching for a good, if not great nylon string. Few reviews on Taylor's new line, plus I don't want to go that high in price, very few lefty models, like la patrie concert, especially since they went solid wood this year, found a cordoba C5, ce but its not solid wood and I have a tough time buying Chinese products, not because I hate the Chinese, but rather I worry about quality, the c5 I found is 400 has built in tuner, electronics. Taylor has smaller nut, which may or may not work for finger picking. Any info, advice would be appreciated.
If you don't need a cutaway, classic guitars are the most easily converted guitars around. Don't wait for one that is already left-handed, and electronics can easily be installed.

If you don't like the way the guitar sounds acoustically, you've wasted your money, so make that your priority.

HE
It Ain't Necessarily So: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 AM

I am a lefty and I own the C5... It is a good guitar for the money... but I don't believe it would stand a chance against some 1400.00 classical guitars...

If you have not played any classical guitr style of music, I'd be slow entering into a bigger purchase...

I really like playing classical guitar music and would recommend it to anyone who wants to be well rounded...

If you have experience playing classical and you like it... I would recommend another, higher level category of classical such as....

http://www.francisconavarro.com/studentclassical.html

Hope this helps partner...
Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog55 View Post
I have a tough time buying Chinese products, not because I hate the Chinese, but rather I worry about quality
A man of my thoughts exactly!

You don't say if you're an old player wanting a nylon string guitar or a new player wanting to learn classical guitar. If you're an old player, I understand you wanting a left hand guitar. If you're a new player wanting to learn classical guitar, I would learn right handed for many reasons.

I'm not too sure if I would jump in and spend $1500 on a nylon string, right off the bat. I would spend no more than $500 for a good used guitar. Many people think they want to play nylons, but then they find out it's quite a bit different than steel string guitars. You can buy a used Yairi for $450 to $500, they are a good quality guitar without breaking the bank.

that's my 2 cents

Tom C.

Now for a warning, there are several thin skinned members here, who get very defensive when you mention "Chinese quality". Most of them own Ken Hill New World Classical guitars. The "New World" is, as you may have guessed, Made in China. They mistakenly believe New World quality, is different than the rest of Chinese quality.

They will be here soon..........3..........2..............1......... .........

Herk Favilla Mahogany Classical, 1960's
Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004
Dauphin DS65CE, 1992
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM

I thought I might tick some folks off, not my intent, I just believe certain items, like the craftsmanship of a musical instrument, go to those who's passion and years of producing such items, I know that Spanish classical guitars are exquisite , but to answer many questions, I am as old as dirt, took up guitar after I retired from FAA , keep me busy and always wanted to learn guitar, started with seagull S6, sold that for Taylor GA3 which I love to death, wonderful guitar, but I love the sound of nylon, desire to learn finger picking, love classical music, Christmas songs, just started guitar lessons may 2011, once a week for 30 minutes, I love it, great instructor, I must remain a lefty, everyone tried to talk me into going righty, but it's like driving a stick shift with my left hand, it feels terribly wrong, my fretting hand feels natural going left style, too old to change. Thanks for the links, advice, I enjoy this forum so much, what a wealth of information, honesty. Still no reviews on the la patrie nylon, about $500 see the Eric McFadden you tube using a nylon, amazing.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:14 PM

You sound like a great candidate for classical guitar instruction and playing... go for it...

About the guitar... I gave you my opinion above... hope to hear from you after you get a guitar and get some tunes under your belt...

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM

Default Lefty finds his nylon, cheap

Patience is a virtue. Research. Knowing I could not afford a real Spanish made guitar, not wanting Chinese made guitars, I returned to what I knew, that Godin had a classical line called La Patrie. Made in Quebec . Owned a seagull steel string as my first guitar, it's sister company. Then I discovered that for 2012, La Patrie went solid mahogany back and sides. Cedar top. New model was on amazon for $519. Called a dealer same price. Then I went to eBay where the same vendor selling guitar on amazon was offering a new lefty concert for same price, but was taking bids. I low balled him at 300. He countered with 475, I countered with 350, he countered with 425, I countered at 390 . No counter from vendor, went unsold. Days later, vendor posted again at 519, I offered 395 and he accepted. Arrived in a week, what a guitar for 395. Free shipping. Wow, it's a beauty, if this old man knew how to post pics I would. No electronics, but I didn't want, kept it pure. I love it. Neck is like a log, but I have gotten used to it. Ebony finger board, 2 inch at nut. Tusq, polished finish. Sounds fantastic. Lifetime warranty. Adjustable truss. Very pleased.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Musical minimalist

found your auction but it was just the stock picture...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical