The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-19-2001, 09:10 PM

Post fingerpicker needs fingerpicks

I'm active in sports and cannot maintain long fingernails and am not interested in acrylic nails. I use a "Dunlop" thumbpick which works fine. I use "Dunlop" plastic fingerpicks (like those worn by steel guitar players), but find them awfully stiff. I've also used "Alaska" fingerpicks. There may be nothing else out there. If responding, please indicate where to buy.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:15 AM

There have been several discussions on fingerpicks at www.guitarnotes.com/forum

When you get there, you can search on fingerpicks, and you should find plenty.
Old 06-20-2001, 01:31 PM

Wayne,

First Quality Music Supply (http://www.fqms.com) sells the Pro Pik Fingertone metal fingerpicks. They have the middle cut out that allows your fingertips to still make contact with the strings. I used them for awhile but found as my technique got better, the more restrictive ANY fingerpicks became.

If you don't do any tremelo or play 16th notes at 160+ beats per minute, you might want to just go with fingertips only ala Laurence Juber. He gets an incredible tone.

GL
Old 06-21-2001, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the responses. I guess there is nothing really new out there. I did go back to using "Alaska" picks and I am newly impressed at how good they really are. They take a little getting used to, but allow quite a bit of sublety when playing and I do like the crisp sound that fingerpicks produce.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:06 PM

A little known thumbpick that is hard to find is the Earnie Ball picks. They are not rigid like the National thumb picks and more like a stiff nylon pick. You can even strum a little with them. Note that they are extremly hard to find. The last time I bought about 20 of them and am scared when they run out.
Old 06-30-2001, 07:14 PM

Based on responses, I did pick up a set of "Pro-Pik" FINGERTONE fingerpicks and really like how they feel. As was stated before, a lot of the metal has been eliminated, allowing most of the pad of your finger to touch the strings. Enough metal remains to act as a "fingernail". To me, they fit more securely and comfortably than does the "Alaska-Pik" (another ingenious design). If interested, be sure to get the FINGERTONE model as "Pro-Pik" makes a number of variations. I got mine through gregboyd.com.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell