The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-09-2001, 02:18 PM

Smile

want to better understand how a system works when functioning properly, mess it up....then compare and contrast the results with what you had before...(splitting an atom does tell you something about what it was like before you messed with it....)

little sand dude or dudette doing their sand experience thing happily......

parent, who too busy jibber-jabbering with some other adult about the leather seats in their new $60,000 vehicle to notice that important stuff was happening to their child's brain finally notices that their child is quite quiet....completely quiet

....misinterprets the situation....thinks their child is bored....and starts messing with the system......

"Oh, ....try this toy, or this toy, or this toy, or this toy, or this toy, or this toy, or this toy, or this toy, or this toy, or this toy....hey super parent...why not start bombing them with questions......"Don't you like this toy? Do you? Don't you? Yes? No. Maybe? How about the blue one? Do you like the blue one? The blue scooper? Would you like the red scooper? We have 43 colors...which one do you want?....(you get the point...after all, this wonderful sand-toy set has 6,245 pieces and cost $189)...

now what happens....

...well....probably very shortly we'll have whining, fussing, crabbing, etc....(and the learning stops of course....eek....those unproductive practice sessions.....nasty...nasty nasty toll they'll take....)

Three minutes later they'll be leaving with the parent saying..."I guess he/she just doesn't like sand."

Go get 'em a $500 video game system super-parent...

...on a toot...

limit the rhythm (and material) and let your brain, ears, eyes, and fingers monitor themselves...let them decide when to move on (so you move on well)....

how you gonna do that?

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 05-10-2001, 02:13 PM

Smile

Jeepers creepers...how'd I leave this out....

Superparent...make sure you get some violent games with that system.

Wonderful.

Ok.

Back we go.

they let their senses experience the sand....touch it, smell it, watch it gently blow about....they won't really try to manipulate it........yet...

anyways, sometime into that initial period they'll give a peek back at the parent....feed 'em with a big eyed and smiley "oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh".. don't make them wait for it......

THEN they move on......and effortlessly start learning dozens, hundreds?, thousands? of things.......no sweat....

there's a ton to talk about there.....brains, toads, ice cream sandwiches, eating sand, eating sand given to you by someone else...hmmm, clean cold water, friends vs. parents, smiles, grumping, dog doo, cocaine, LSD, just say no, the silly Drug War..etc....

but in the spirit of moving on....

start with just those intervals ..

E with C xx2x1x

F with D xx3x3x

to 'experience' them....just play 4 beats on each over and over and over and over back and forth......make sure you consistently finger them, use a particular fingering for E with C, use a paricular fingering for F with D....don't rush this.......

give it a few minutes...

keep the same rhythm

I'd start saying "e" when playing the first interval, start saying "f" when playing the 2nd interval...

remember, you're just playing whole notes (4 beats) at this point....let's move to half-notes (2 beats)

hold the first interval, but don't play them as a pair...play E and let it ring 2 beats, pluck the C (and let E keep ringing) for beats 3 and 4, then do the same up on the F and the D

I'd say out loud "E with C" say the E when you play it...say the C when you play it...throw in the 'with' a half-beat before the C....everything with rhythm....

I found students would very quickly stop saying things like "here", "there", and would stop doing things like pointing around the fretboard......they'd start speaking musically, they'd refer to the note names,

they'd stop saying things like "this", and would start saying something more specific such as "this interval" or "this 6th"

one thing at a time...give your brain a fair chance and it will do fine..

now maybe go back to those intervals as whole notes, but practice switching them a half beat early....very very very different feel....

too much on the beat is too much like Bert....

loosen up....be a little more like Grover and Cookie Monster.....

now what do we know (what have we learned), what can we do, and where can we go....

gimmme cookie.....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 05-11-2001, 11:25 AM

Smile

you work on the what's...ask if you can't come up with anything.....

all I know is I look too much like a cross between Grover and that guy on 600 series page of the little Taylor catalog....

let's keep working at these intervals....

melody, harmony, and rhythm.....melody, harmony, and rhythm...there isn't anything else....even if you're working on something technique-oriented, you're just tyring to better bring out the melody, harmony, and rhythm of the music...anyways...

we get good at doing something simple...make it effortless - such as playing those intervals as described above (I'm using a swing as opposed to a straight rhythm)....

....make things one simple step more complicated (trivially easy to do if you master things as you move along)

go back to playing 4 beats on each interval....swing rhythm...and switching a half-beat early (that means you're counting

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

and you're making you're switches on the & of 4.

make it one step more complicated by just doing something simple like a percussive muted slap on the strings on the count of 4 (still make the switch on the & of 4....slowly, slowly, slowly....use the metronome....remember...loose like Grover.....elbows all over the place and throw that head back...Jabudi....by the way - one of the what's that should be happening is that at the very least you should start knowing where E and F are on the 4th string of you're guitar....don't think "so what"...there are only 12 notes to keep track of... those 2 notes represents a good-sized chunk...trust me....

do the slap thing for a minute or two.....then just go back to no slap for a minute or so,

now go back to doing the switches on the beat.....are you learning the notes on the 2nd string too, yet? Are you learning them without really trying?

we're only a couple minutes into this...ok? Not a massive investment of time....

now we've got a choice....are we going to start expanding our rhythmic horizons next....or are we perhaps going to start moving up the fretboard (new melody and harmony awaits up there)....

I don't think it matters...in a lesson we'd bop back and forth....that brings up an important point...we'll get to it...bopping about is fine as long as you are mastering and then making connections to what is already understood....that's what the little one in the sand box will start doing effortlessly....as long as super-parent doesn't mess it up....

Stay with rhythm for a moment....

play so you are playing on beats 1 and 4 and making the switches on the beat of 1...you're still just 4 beats on each...I guess this is why people start using musical notation instead of written language....anyways...

now change up the rhythm to something one step more complicated...

4 beats on each still, but play on beats 1 and 4 and make the switches on the & of 4....ask ask ask

by the way, if I were doing a lesson with a typical sort of middle aged sort of frustrated sort of wished he was a 19 year old rock star sort of sort of guy , we would have started the lesson with some lick (an electric soloing lick probably) that the student couldn't play (it would have to be just a bit out of their current ability level)....we'd do some very very basic stuff with rhythm like I'm trying to write out here and later in the lesson he'd be absolutely shocked that he could now do the lick....even if we hadn't worked on it...it's simple..... spend your practice time working on basic concepts of melody, harmony, and rhythm...

anyways, we've snuck in the feel of whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, and 8th notes at this point....and you should without a doubt see E and C and F with D 'lighting up' on the fretboard....

let's just change ONE thing...we'll be 100% sure we ONLY use some of the rhythms we've used above and we'll start to incorporate sliding up to

xx5x5x a beat or half beat before sliding down to

our old lovable furry blue friend Grover...I mean our old friend F with D

xx3x3x

we shouldn't have any problems with the rhythm....we've already mastered that..

we shouldn't have any problems with learing the names of the notes in the new interval

xx5x5x

(it really should be trivial)

SO LONG AS WE HAVE TRULY COMMITTED THE NAMES OF THE NOTES IN THE OTHER INTERVALS TO MEMORY.....now if you haven't....you're head's gonna start getting overloaded...so don't do it...who gives a duck's duff if it takes another day to learn the first two intervals...who the heck cares....plowing along when you're not ready to won't work, so don't do it....make this easy...go back, stay with the same notes, and funk up the rhythm (more with 8ths and introduce triplets) if you aren't getting the note names learned....that's fine....that's wonderful....give a Grover yell...arms out....don't worry about the aging mid-section....Grover needs to do some crunches....

you should only be a few minutes into this process...the typing takes forever...but honestly, focused and specific practice should really not take tons of time (unless you're doing tons of relevant stuff, of course)

gotta run....

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Old 05-13-2001, 07:26 AM

Smile

tsavingsbondo...

where were we...

getting back to this learning, knowing, memorizing, engraining, whatever...

metronome ticking slowly...again...around 60?

you're just 4 beats on E with C, then 4 beats on F with D, over and over, oao, oao, oao, oao..........changing up the rhythm (just a bit) here and there.....

hopefully, if your patient, and you're not overwhelming yourself you're flat out learning

- 1 a few of the note names...well enough that you don't have to try to remember them anymore...do you have to try to remember your wife's name if you see her standing with 11 other women? Would it severely limit your ability to interact with her if you were saying things like....ummm Victoria, wait, no, you're umm...ummma...let me see, wait, really, I know this,... you're Leeann,...wait no, that's not it,,,,wait, just give me a second...wait wait wait........ummmm Alexandra?

Slap.

Ouch.

Of course...people do that on the fretboard....wait....that's C with E, no that's E with C, that's F and B? No? F with D? D with F? A 6th? Really?...major 6th...no...wait, minor 6th?...something like that....

remember the cows with the sandwich signs.....don't confuse your brain....

give your brain one thing to remember...it will easily absorb it - no doubt...it will want to connect it to something it already knows - no doubt....it will get hungry for more - no doubt

play just those intervals over and over...once your brain knows where the E and F are on the 4th string....it WANTS to know where the G is on the 4th string...it's not overload.....you learned your ABC's a long time ago....your brain doesn't want E and F in isolation....it wants to connect them with G....but not if it's struggling to remember where the heck E and F are...

I can't remember what I sat down to type...

I think I was trying to get on to a 'the more your brain learns the more it can learn' type of thought....it won't naturally overload itself....

- take the time to let your head absorb a couple note names...

- take the time to let your head absorb the fingerings

- take the time to let your head absorb the rhythm

- take your time to let your head absorb the sound of something non-C-major chordish (F with D) resolving to something very C-major chordish (E with C)

- take your time to let your head absorb the name of the type of interval you are playing...

etc....

in a couple minutes your brain should have learned a bunch of new things and you're ready to move on....

[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Old 05-13-2001, 08:55 PM

Cool

Yes, Christina, there is a Mapletrees. As long as TAS addicts continue in the search for knowledge, perfect tone, and total consciousness....there will always be a Mapletrees....Oh, I didn't see you there...Hey, how's it going with you and the lovely Mrs. M.....a new bikini for Mother's Day?, something other than orange?

On a more informal note, I see what you mean....so long as I am paying attention to the process, I continually add to the store of musical data in my on-board hard disk....and reading the various posts on this site continues to expand my range of possibility.....such as the Hanson books and the discussion on equal temperment (which flowed from a tuning thread)....BTW, I tried the E harmonic approach to tuning (tune #6, then tune 1 and 4 from 6, then 2 and 3 from 4, then 5 from 3...a very different approach from tuning off of A (440))...when correctly accomplished, really makes the guitar ring and chords center the tuner....

I've got a week of catch-up to do.....lead on

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell