The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Most people I have talked to that have played fan frets with a 3/4" spread have not much noticed the difference. In fact, there have been cases where people have played my guitar without even realizing it was a fan fret. So to say that there's any significant advantage or disadvantage either way is probably something of an overstatement. It's subtle. I found on my Mustapick that it was more natural to position my index finger for a F or F# barre with the fan fret. I also found some fingerings where the nut might get slightly in the way on a standard guitar to be easier on a fan fret. At no point did I feel handicapped by the longer scale length in the bass (and I have small hands). Nor did I feel like there was ever a mental shift that needed to occur when I alternated between my standard and fan fret guitar. Of course, with some of the crazy spreads that you see out there (more commonly on baritones), I might expect some kind of adjustment.

Anyway, if you find that it's a nuisance in some way, I would assert that it will be a small nuisance. And if you find that it's a help in some way, it'll be a small help. I think the same can be said for the dropped tuning performance. It's a small effect.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:16 PM

Initial review and sound clips to be posted this Sunday...
Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 AM

On a standard bridge, the sound is passed to the bridgeplate through the string since it's ball end is on the bridge plate. How does that happen on a pinless? Is there any changes to the brige plate when using a pinless bridge?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandcastle Gtrs View Post
<<snip>>

...the sound is passed to the bridgeplate through the string since it's ball end is on the bridge plate.

<<snip>>

Uhhm, vibration (not sound) of the string sends energy through the saddle...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 09-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Guitar has made it safe and sound.

I haven't had a chance to play it extensively yet but it pretty much sounds exactly like I had imagined.

The mids and trebles are open and clear -- and the lower strings sound very defined and powerful.

From my vantage point, I could hardly tell that this is a multi-scale, so playability is top notch as well.

In short, I am thoroughly happy with the guitar and Ray's customer service is exceptional.

I will post a detailed review and sound clips very soon.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 PM

I finally managed to play this guitar for a couple of hours. I'm still adapting to the instrument but managed to do a quick recording of Si Bheag Si Mhor in CGCFGC which I wanted to share with you:

http://soundcloud.com/syndicatedarts...r-kraut-om-brw

Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 PM

Very nice playing!! I enjoyed the song.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 AM

Sounds as great as it looks!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 AM

Congratulations on the new guitar. It looks and sounds wonderful!
On the last picture you posted, although the angle is not helping, it seems that the action is very low. Is this true, or the angle of the photo is deceiving me?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 AM

Wow, Joe... the guitar sounds sweet... but your chops are more awesome... Congrats, cant wait for my Kraut to finish
Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Awesome playing. It sounds great, even through my phone speakers. I assume it has a glorious bass response? Congratulations. Hand delivered, even.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I'm still adapting to the instrument but managed to do a quick recording of Si Bheag Si Mhor in CGCFGC which I wanted to share with you:
Jeez - Great sounding guitar, great recording and - most importantly - great chops! What's not to like?

Very difficult to play a "simple" tune like this and stand out from the crowd - you did. Great timing and touch. I'm very jealous.

The guitar definitely seems to have that sparkling and sustaining top end that the best Somogyi apprentices manage. I imagine that will "soften" a little as the guitar settles in, making it even more appealing. Also surprised by how deep the bass goes (on good headphones here) for an OM. Due to the fanning? Also, very dry and clear, perhaps the influence of the BRW there?

Congratulations! It sounds every bit as good as the BRW looks.

Incidentally, what did you use to record it and (importantly), where? Just a room in the house?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Very nice playing!! I enjoyed the song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHeatley View Post
Sounds as great as it looks!!!
Thank you, gents!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiseas View Post
Congratulations on the new guitar. It looks and sounds wonderful!
On the last picture you posted, although the angle is not helping, it seems that the action is very low. Is this true, or the angle of the photo is deceiving me?
Hi Theo,

The action on the bass side is probably 6/64" or 7/64" -- pretty much standard.

I cringe every time I hear someone aiming for lower as I think that would defeat the purpose of playing an acoustic in the first place. I want to be able to dig in anywhere on the fretboard without too much string buzz and 6/64" is pretty much the minimum IMO.

Cheers,

Joe
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Wow, Joe... the guitar sounds sweet... but your chops are more awesome... Congrats, cant wait for my Kraut to finish
Thank you!

The guitar is just a few days old but it feels pretty much broken in already.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop