The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2021, 03:11 PM

I would like McPherson to make a 16"+ sized carbon fiber. I would really enjoy it.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I would like McPherson to make a 16"+ sized carbon fiber. I would really enjoy it.

I think it would be cool if they made a 12 fretter and with a body size something in between the Sable and Touring. I don’t think they will though so that counts me out.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Don't feel limited by what you see on Rainsong's website . Work with a Rainsong dealer like Ted at LA Guitar Sales https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....g-guitars.html or Sean at Avenue Guitars https://www.avenueguitars.com/collec...insong-guitars to assist you in seeing what options are really possible as well as best pricing...
Really happy at this point with my entire (albeit small) guitar collection. If I was to grab anything else I might order a custom Rainsong Nashville in the OM1000NS flavor but only if I could get it with a few changes like without that ugly, oversized pickguard and then maybe a satin finish.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Really happy at this point with my entire (albeit small) guitar collection. If I was to grab anything else I might order a custom Rainsong Nashville in the OM1000NS flavor but only if I could get it with a few changes like without that ugly, oversized pickguard and then maybe a satin finish.
You absolutely can order the Nashville instruments without the pick guard - when I ordered mine, I put in that request, and the cardboard box that it was shipped in had the following hand scribbled on the outside of the box: "pick guard inside the case pocket" - and it was. As a fingerstyle player, I don't need the pick guard anyway and I agree that they are too big for the instruments.
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-04-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
You absolutely can order the Nashville instruments without the pick guard - when I ordered mine, I put in that request, and the cardboard box that it was shipped in had the following hand scribbled on the outside of the box: "pick guard inside the case pocket" - and it was. As a fingerstyle player, I don't need the pick guard anyway and I agree that they are too big for the instruments.
I would add that one can probably special order a 12-fret neck on a Rainsong...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-04-2021, 09:57 AM

Perhaps an x7 octave "mandolin"...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I'm thinking maybe a Raisong Jumbo or an Emerald X30, because my acoustics are all pretty small right now (Rainsong Shorty, Waterloo WL-12MH, Breedlove Organic Concert, Emerald X7) with the exception of an old Tak Jumbo 12er and a big, booming guitar would fill a niche that's empty right now. Of course, the Emerald Harp guitars or a Chimaera doubleneck would be pretty cool...
I can vouch wholeheartedly for the Rainsong Jumbo. My Nashville N-JM1100N2 can only be described as a "gentle Giant," it's amazing how easy it is to coax delicate tones out of such a large body. No doubt, it's also capable of being strummed loudly, and has volume and full-bodied tone in spades. But it surprises me how easy it sits in my lap, and what a joy it is to play fingerstyle.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:28 PM

Been looking for a big-body archtop for years, love my 6- and 12-string Rainsong jumbos, not interested in a parlor/bass/electric; has a bit of a '30s Advanced L-10 vibe, hoping to find a dealer where I can play one of these before buying:

Old 05-04-2021, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I can vouch wholeheartedly for the Rainsong Jumbo. My Nashville N-JM1100N2 can only be described as a "gentle Giant," it's amazing how easy it is to coax delicate tones out of such a large body. No doubt, it's also capable of being strummed loudly, and has volume and full-bodied tone in spades. But it surprises me how easy it sits in my lap, and what a joy it is to play fingerstyle.
I'm curious how the Rainsong Jumbo compares to an Emerald X30...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm curious how the Rainsong Jumbo compares to an Emerald X30...
I can only give you my impression with bare flesh fingerstyle: overall the RainSong is like an OM with more heft to the sound and the X30 is like a Martin rosewood dread.

The RainSong jumbo might be the most even playing instrument I’ve ever played. The bass is plenty large, but not overwhelming. Like all RainSongs (I’ve played this, 2 OMs, 1 WS 14 fret that I briefly owned, and the 12 fret WS with the offset sound hole) the treble tone is warm and full but unlike a couple of other RainSongs I’ve played, it is not too mid-forward. The only odd thing about this (and other RainSongs) is that the response is unlike that of wood guitars - it is difficult to put into words - The tone is great, but it has such an immediacy of response that I don’t get the impression that the tone is resultant from resonance throughout the instrument - I know of course that it has to be, but it doesn’t seem like that. It isn’t good or bad, it is just different. I’ve heard people call these grand OM guitars, and for the evenness of response, I agree with that description - but this has more heft to the sound than any OM I’ve ever played

The X30 is not nearly as even playing as the RainSong, and it feels substantially heavier. The same full sounding trebles are present here as well, but it seems like the tone is more resonant - and it seems more like a wood guitar. The bass has all the benefits and quirks of a great HD-28 - wonderful bass tone, a little less focused, and the same woofy fretted E and F notes on the D string. I’ve heard people call this an HD-28 killer, and that is a great descriptor.

It may come as a surprise to some people that I would call the comfort between these as essentially equal. All of those bevels that Emerald uses are essential on the X30 as this is a behemoth of an instrument - at 5.75 inches deep, it is a full inch deeper than most Martin dreads - Perhaps I might eventually favor the X30 for comfort as I become more familiar with it - but it is so different from every other guitar I’ve ever owned. The RainSong jumbo felt immediately at home to someone who was used to playing dreads. But in comparing the feel back to back I do notice my arm sits much higher on the RainSong but it isn’t uncomfortable.

I’m not sure I could pick a clear favorite. I do have another X30 on order as a result of the discount, and I have had major GAS for one of those veneered Emeralds - but it isn’t like I greatly prefer the Emerald. The response of the X30 is closer to the Martin dreads I had been playing for awhile before, so there is more long term familiarity there even though it does not play as evenly as the RainSong. They are both awesome instruments and it will take something extraordinary for me to ever consider a wood guitar again
Martin Backpacker

Last edited by boneuphtoner; 05-04-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

boneuphtoner: Thanks for the terrific rundown....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-05-2021, 01:35 AM

I would like to have a Fibertone semi-hollow guitar for my next CF guitar.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 05-05-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I don't have a CF guitar at the moment - may or may not ever have another one. I've found ways of managing humidity in wood guitars that I don't find particularly difficult or stress-inducing. So I'm not sure I have a "GF guitar list".

BUT, I've always been really curious about the X30. I had an X20 that was brighter than I like and an X7 that sounded fantastic to my ears, but was just too small in a few key dimensions for me to play comfortably as I got into playing fingerstyle, so I sold it after a year and a half or so. The X30 always seemed a good bit darker than the X20, closer to the X7 in tone, just based on sound clips and videos I'd checked out. The size more than scared me off even though everyone who's played one says it doesn't play near as big as it is. So I'd still like to play one. And I'm still really curious about it and hope to find one to play as the pandemic (hopefully) winds down. OTOH, I absolutely DEFINITELY do not need the volume, so I'm not sure why I'd want one even if I found it really comfortable to play. Even with my little 00 sized CEO-7, I have to play with lighter picks to balance the guitar volume with my lame attempts at vocals. I gotta figure that would be a horrible losing battle with a canon like the X30.

So I probably will never own one, but I'm still curious and will probably put out feelers to find one not to far from Philly at some point in the next few months. Gotta play one to know for sure...

-Ray
Old 05-05-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Been looking for a big-body archtop for years, love my 6- and 12-string Rainsong jumbos, not interested in a parlor/bass/electric; has a bit of a '30s Advanced L-10 vibe, hoping to find a dealer where I can play one of these before buying:

My thought too. It's difficult to think of buying such an expensive instrument without hearing/playing one. He's a one man shop making custom guitars, so it's unlikely to find one in a store. I see a few listed on Reverb, but not the big acoustic models. And he's in Slovenia! Maybe someone will do a video playing one.
Of course there are no dealers for Emerald here either, but they're not one off custom guitars and they are very nice about returning one if you don't like it.
That big Fibertone sure does look like what I've been looking for in a carbon archtop, but what does it sound like?
Old 05-05-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
That big Fibertone sure does look like what I've been looking for in a carbon archtop, but what does it sound like?
Not quite the same model but maybe like this?

Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber