The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-19-2021, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlechange View Post
If I were you, I'd check out all the fine used and new classical guitars that Dream Guitars in Weaverville, N.C. has to offer. They have a large inventory. The store is about 3 hours from where you live too.
For your $4,000 budget, you can easily get a really fine classical guitar. Last year I purchased an used concert professional classical guitar, by an up and coming luthier, that was owned by the director of an European music conservatory and made with Brazilian rosewood back and sides and spruce top for $3,000. It even came with a Rodgers tuning machines that retails for $1,000. New retail for the guitar would have been $8,000 or more.
Cordoba with its factory setting are "limited." The factory low end ones and high end ones use SAME process. The pricer ones have better woods, tuners, inlay work, etc. Most guitar builders and a lot of guitar players say factory settings can't produce excellent instruments.
If a buyer's budget is much less than what you are spending, then a factory instrument is the way to go. My weekend, travel, practice classical guitar that I keep out in the open on the guitar stand is a small factory guitar I got used for $700. It plays easily and sounds good enough for me to bring to my lesson sessions.
Be sure to check out delcamp classical guitars forum for research too.
Good luck in your search.
Robert A.
I disagree that factories can't produce excellent instruments. I've owned a $4K luthier built classical, and played other, even more limited run luthier-built instruments, with cash in hand. The $4K one was indeed excellent in build and tone. But I found that I preferred my Cordobas, so I sold it. The other small builder ones I tried out were underwhelming to me, because I thought they were going to blow my mass produced ones out of the water. They didn't. I'm not comparing my many Cordobas' tone/sound to a classic Hauser, Fleta, Ramirez, Rodriguez, etc. But the higher end Chinese factory models can indeed be excellent. I actually preferred them to the Spanish made models that I owned. And my new Eastman Cabaret is awesome. Regardless... I agree with most of what you posted, but my experience regarding the various levels of instruments has been different.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I disagree that factories can't produce excellent instruments. I've owned a $4K luthier built classical, and played other, even more limited run luthier-built instruments, with cash in hand. The $4K one was indeed excellent in build and tone. But I found that I preferred my Cordobas, so I sold it. The other small builder ones I tried out were underwhelming to me, because I thought they were going to blow my mass produced ones out of the water. They didn't. I'm not comparing my many Cordobas' tone/sound to a classic Hauser, Fleta, Ramirez, Rodriguez, etc. But the higher end Chinese factory models can indeed be excellent. I actually preferred them to the Spanish made models that I owned. And my new Eastman Cabaret is awesome. Regardless... I agree with most of what you posted, but my experience regarding the various levels of instruments has been different.

I’m pretty sure the Cordoba master copy series are not produced in China. They are made in California, as I understand it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical