The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2022, 11:50 PM

Default PA for acoustic guitar and drum loops

Edit: Maybe I meant “Monitor” not “PA” though I don’t know is there is a difference.
I mainly play acoustic acoustically, but sometimes I play my Tele through a Boss RC-3 just for fun. Lately I’ve been thinking about getting into looping more seriously with my acoustic. I’m looking at the new RC-600 which has inbuilt drum loops. My setup will be J45 —> LR Baggs Anthem SL —> Boss RC600 —> PA. I don’t have a PA and don’t know anything about them but are they good for drum loops and any recommendations?

Also, should I put a preamp before the RC600?

Last edited by Jimmy Recard; 01-14-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:21 AM

What a huge can of worms you've just opened...
More questions than answers.
1) who/how large is/will be your audience?
2) budget?
3) how physically fit/strong are you? (Seriously)
4) do you want/prefer simplicity?
5) will you be going wireless?
6) will you need to be able to run off battery?
7) do you want effects (i.e. reverb or delay) to your signal?
8) what is the most number of channels you'll ever need?
9) do you prefer a high quality sound?
10) do you prefer a lot of bass?
11) is this purchase just to "scratch an itch" or is it for the long haul?
12) any particular brand you're fond of?

Answer a few of these and it'll be much easier for us to point you in the right direction.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Recard View Post
I mainly play acoustic acoustically, but sometimes I play my Tele through a Boss RC-3 just for fun. Lately I’ve been thinking about getting into looping more seriously with my acoustic. I’m looking at the new RC-600 which has inbuilt drum loops. My setup will be J45 —> LR Baggs Anthem SL —> Boss RC600 —> PA. I don’t have a PA and don’t know anything about them but are they good for drum loops and any recommendations?

If you're playing for yourself at home or doing medium sized gigs I can recommend the Cube EX. The dual 8" drivers will handle drum loops well, but larger drivers in a full size pa will provide more oomph to the kick drum.

I've played with drum loops in the past and found them to be too mechanical and require too much programming time to fit into music that's more organic by design.

I loop all the time at home or even use the looper for full songs. I started out with a simpler looper and worked up to a Electroharmonix 1440 which gives me everything I need. I especially like not having to bend down to save new loops or select stored loops. I was initially enticed by loopers with more features but figured out how many owners decide that "advanced looping" is too complex and prefer a simpler device.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

What YamahaGuy said

Or more simply put -----

Do not even go there until you determine 2 things:
#1 come up with a defined goal (PA for what purpose/s at home or gigging etc.)
#2 a realistic budget range

These two things will go much much further toward applicable targeted suggestions than random "Buy This"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-14-2022, 04:29 PM

Cheers. Responses
1) who/how large is/will be your audience? Mainly for me at home but would like to cover up to 10-20 people.
2) budget? <$1000 (for the PA alone)
3) how physically fit/strong are you? (Seriously) Big guy, pretty fit, don’t plan on moving it around much though.
4) do you want/prefer simplicity? No, I like to tweak and fiddle-fart around.
5) will you be going wireless? Maybe but not high on my list of priorities.
6) will you need to be able to run off battery? No
7) do you want effects (i.e. reverb or delay) to your signal? Yes, actually the main focus.
8) what is the most number of channels you'll ever need? Maybe 4
9) do you prefer a high quality sound? Yes
10) do you prefer a lot of bass? Not typically, but I do want the unit to handle drum and bass without getting too woofy.
11) is this purchase just to "scratch an itch" or is it for the long haul? We’ll these two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive, but I’ll say long haul.
12) any particular brand you're fond of? Agnostic to brands.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
What YamahaGuy said

Or more simply put -----

Do not even go there until you determine 2 things:
#1 come up with a defined goal (PA for what purpose/s at home or gigging etc.)
#2 a realistic budget range

These two things will go much much further toward applicable targeted suggestions than random "Buy This"
The defined goal is to make and record my own music at home, but mainly with my acoustic as the source instrument rather than my electric. Mainly I’ll be running effects in parallel (through the looper) to a good acoustic/electric tone. For instance distortion with acoustic sounds better in parallel than in series.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The defined goal is to make and record my own music at home, but mainly with my acoustic as the source instrument rather than my electric. Mainly I’ll be running effects in parallel (through the looper) to a good acoustic/electric tone. For instance distortion with acoustic sounds better in parallel than in series.
Ok so a $1k budget
And make and record music at home

So consider that a PA is for live performance sound reenforcement whether at home or out gigging ...A PA is not really for Recording
These are two different "Goals" and will somewhat take you down two different gear acquisition paths. You can of course get some dual use but if thats the case then gear choice should reflect that dual use intention

So you may want to rethink and determine which of the two is more important, and or if you do want to split the budget and in order to do both.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-14-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ok so a $1k budget
And make and record music at home

So consider that a PA is for live performance sound reenforcement whether at home or out gigging ...A PA is not really for Recording
These are two different "Goals" and will somewhat take you down two different gear acquisition paths. You can of course get some dual use but if thats the case then gear choice should reflect that dual use intention

So you may want to rethink and determine which of the two is more important, and or if you do want to split the budget and in order to do both.
Maybe I meant “Monitor” though I don’t know if this is different to a PA.

I can come off the Rc600 straight to a DAW via usb for recording and mixing. Basically the PA will be so I can hear loops as I’m making them and playback. I just want to make sure the PA can handle bass and drum tracks, as well as acoustic guitar.

Last edited by Jimmy Recard; 01-14-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:26 PM

I'd recommend a Yamaha DBR10 powered speaker. You can add a speaker stand later when you gig. Also, a small mixer like a Yamaha MG10XU, which has a fantastic delay effect in it. There are two channels with built in 1 knob compression and 4 total XLR/combi connectors. Also, this small mix desk works as a nice little interface for recording. Yamaha makes an optional (mic) stand mount for it. You'll need a mic cable (male XLR to female XLR) to hook the speaker to the mixer. I use this system outdoors to facilitate a weekly event at a campground which has up to 100 guests. The speaker is very light, yet has enough punch to cover a large area if needed. A 10" is about a perfect speaker to still be able to handle bass and drums, and still sound good for vocals and acoustic guitar while remaining compact and lightweight. A big plus to this route is that a) the components are pro level gear that will last a lifetime, b) it's super expandable. Down the road, add a second speaker 1 for monitor, one for FOH [to the audience]. c) you can get very loud [if needed] sound without it breaking up, unlike some of the self contained PA towers/systems out there costing much more. d) you'll have money left over to buy an effects pedal or two

The 3 band eq should do an adequate job to shape your guitar tone.

When jamming at bandmates' homes, the DBR10 by itself makes a fantastic "monitor" for our keyboard player.

Going this route, there are many many choices for mixers and powered speakers. Read the reviews, see if I'm wrong with these as my picks. Cross check prices too.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 01-14-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:23 PM

I’ve gone through a few loopers and recently upgraded to a Headrush Looperboard. I usually run it straight to an Elite Acoustics A-48 MKII at home. 8in speaker (with a tweeter), but it handles drums surprisingly well.

I got the headrush to add my own beats to as no built in ones in any looper I’ve tried have been fully satisfying.

The Elite acoustics can bottom out if pushed though, but there are ways to deal with it (move the speaker, cut lows, etc.).

I’ve got a couple Yamaha 12s DBR 12s but I prefer the Elite Acoustics amp at home. When I use the 12s I run it through my mixer first.

I guess what I’m saying is I agree with Yamaha Guy’s assessment.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I can come off the Rc600 straight to a DAW via usb for recording and mixing. Basically the PA will be so I can hear loops as I’m making them and playback. I just want to make sure the PA can handle bass and drum tracks, as well as acoustic guitar.
Ah ok so you already have a DAW set up for recording ,,,, got it

While virtually any PA with a Bass speaker can "handle" drums ( because drum fundamentals are between 50Hz and 250, so if you are really wanting hear some low end punch, look for one that can reproduce down 50 without to much drop off But given guitar seem to be your focus anything fro 60 up would likely work fine.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-15-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:

If your goal is to record then maybe you should simply use the same monitor system you are using for your DAW. You shouldn't need a separate PA. What you're going to be able to easily hear is going to be determined by your monitoring system and if your recording monitors don't reproduce the range you want to hear then you're not going to be able to mix accurately.

Given what you're trying to do I'd go for a set of 5" or 6" monitors and a 8" or 10" sub fed directly from the output of your audio interface. Without a sub you're not going to hear the range you're looking for.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:35 PM

Whatever you get you need a sub. My favorite small sub - but mighty! KRK s10
pair with QSC CP8 or if you want studio monitors a pair of Yamaha HS7s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification