The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-13-2020, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Jackson Cunningham? Anyone?

I don't know about you, but I've been impressed with the photos I've seen of Jackson's work over the years, but I've never across one of his instruments in person. Has anyone here had a chance to play any of his work? Thoughts?

This Nick Lucas caught my eye . . . not sure what Eastern Red maple would do for the sound.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:51 AM

Hi, unfortunately I have not had the chance to play any of Jackson Cunningham’s guitars, but I am also intrigued and have followed his work, fiddles and L-5 style archtops, for several years now. Cunningham’s work seems to honor the best traditional instruments, though I don’t have a reliable sense of what is under the hood. I live in Virginia so visiting his shop is a possibility, though it is somewhat off the usual beaten path, near Mouth of Wilson along the North Carolina border. I noticed that Loren Tilley on this board lists a Cunningham archtop among his instruments, so perhaps he might chime in with his experience.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:42 AM

Hey Juston....as you know I have a J35 built by Jackson. It's actually at his shop getting some work done at the moment. It was built in 2017.
Very clean build, with 3 unscalloped tone bars. The neck is pretty substantial, but I seem to do ok with it. Nails the 30's J35 tone. It's a favorite of mine.

Jackson's L5's are incredible as well, if you're into that type of thing!

He told me he just finished a batch of instruments, so he's actively building at the moment.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:51 PM

No experience here, but that is a stunning burst!
Old 08-14-2020, 04:07 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I've been flirting with him for years. His Gibson work is awesome. I can't see your photos, but I'll see if I can find one of his Nick Lucas bursts. Does he have a guitar at Schoenberg's?

I first became aware of him because he uses NC red spruce, sometimes from the Hampton brothers; by extension some guys that harvest with John Arnold. My Brondel has a Hampton top, and the impending LeGeyt as well.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Does he have a guitar at Schoenberg's?

I first became aware of him because he uses NC red spruce, sometimes from the Hampton brothers; by extension some guys that harvest with John Arnold. My Brondel has a Hampton top, and the impending LeGeyt as well.
No guitar at Eric's as far as I know.

Jackson also helped the Hampton's harvest wood. I'm guessing for his own builds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop