The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-19-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Béla Fleck's My Bluegrass Heart Tour with Sierra Hull and Bryan Sutton (Full Concert)

Unlimited virtuosity on display here. Abundantly enjoyable musical material, in the main, in my opinion.

Here we have Béla Fleck and crew on the "My Bluegrass Heart" tour, recorded live at the Tarrytown Music Hall, Tarrytown New York on April 13, 2022, and uploaded to YouTube on May 2, 2022. It's a full concert video.

By the way, I know: text on the linked video below indicates that the concert occurred on April, 10, but the official Tarrytown advertisement for the event had it scheduled for April 13: see https://tickets.tarrytownmusichall.o...s.asp?evt=2542 .

The personnel: Béla Fleck (banjo); Stuart Duncan (fiddle); Sierra Hull (mandolin); Justin Moses (dobro); Mark Schatz (bass); and Bryan Sutton (guitar).

Set 1:
0:00 Blue Mountain Hop
7:11 Hug Point
13:02 Vertigo
20:30 Bound to Ride
23:11 Round Rock
31:07 Boulderdash
36:38 Our Little Secret
44:15 Polka on the Banjo
49:08 Tentacle Dragon

Set 2:
58:55 Psalm 136
1:02:58 Big Country
1:14:11 Cold on the Shoulder
1:17:43 Hunter's Moon
1:23:51 Slippery Eel
1:30:00 Hunky Dory
1:36:13 Dark as the Night
1:42:23 Baptist Pumpkin Farm
1:49:24 Strider
1:58:38 I'm On My Way Back to the Old Home

Encore:
2:05:45 Stomping Grounds
2:14:36 Tennessee (I Hear You Calling Me)
Old 08-19-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I LOVE what this group is doing. There are many video clips on YT of various performances with larger and smaller iterations of the band. I just bought the record this week. Yup, record! It kills me that they snuck into town last January and didn't tell me
Old 08-19-2022, 06:23 PM

We refer to that as Jazzgrass.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Not Bluejazz?
With good reason in either case!
Old 08-19-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I LOVE what this group is doing. There are many video clips on YT of various performances with larger and smaller iterations of the band. I just bought the record this week. Yup, record! It kills me that they snuck into town last January and didn't tell me
The band definitely delivers an energetic and extraordinarily entertaining demonstration of searing solos and virtuoso ensemble synergy. A January 8, 2022, appearance at the Ryman showcased several additional members of Béla Fleck's My Bluegrass Heart crew, including Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Jerry Douglas, Michael Cleveland, and Sam Bush.

Last edited by Inyo; 08-21-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
The band definitely delivers an energetic and extraordinarily entertaining demonstration of searing solos and virtuoso ensemble synergy. A January 8, 2022, appearance at the Ryman showcased several additional members of Béla Fleck's My Bluegrass Heart crew, including Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Jerry Douglass, Michael Cleveland, and Sam Bush.
Check your local PBS affiliate. Ours ran the entire Ryman show a couple of nights ago during pledge drive.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
The band definitely delivers an energetic and extraordinarily entertaining demonstration of searing solos and virtuoso ensemble synergy. A January 8, 2022, appearance at the Ryman showcased several additional members of Béla Fleck's My Bluegrass Heart crew, including Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Jerry Douglas, Michael Cleveland, and Sam Bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Check your local PBS affiliate. Ours ran the entire Ryman show a couple of nights ago during pledge drive.
Yes, indeed, I watched it over our local PBS affiliate some days ago. But was that really the entire Ryman concert? At least with our PBS station, seems that with all the pledge breaks excluded, the actual music portion lasted only about an hour.

Edit--Fleck and folks played 23 songs during that Ryman concert on January 8, 2022, not all of which, obviously, found their way to the roughly hour's worth of music PBS included in the special I watched.

Here was the complete set list for the January 8, 2022, Ryman concert, from a site over at https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bela-...-1388b941.html :

Set 1:
Blue Mountain Hop

Vertigo

This Old Road

Slippery Eel

Hug Point

Round Rock
(Jerry, Sam, Edgar, Bela,… more )

The Old North Woods
(Jerry, Molly, Stuart, Michael,… more )

Us Chickens
(Jerry, Sam, Edgar, Bela, Billy Strings, Stuart)

Tentacle Dragon (Revenge of the)
(with Billy Strings) (Billy, Bryan Sutton, Bela,… more )

Set 2:
Psalm 136
(with Sierra Hull)

Strider
(with Molly Tuttle) (Bela, Sierra, Molly, Stuart,… more )

Our Little Secret
(Bela, Jerry, Sam, Edgar, Bryan, Michael)

Charm School
(Bela, Jerry, Sam, Billy… more )

Wheels Up
(Justin Moses (dobro), Sierra… more )

Hunter's Moon
(10 musicians)

Baptist Pumpkin Farm
(4.5 fiddles; Michael, Sam,… more )

Boulderdash

Encore:
When the Storm Is Over
(New Grass Revival song) (with Sam Bush) (Sam (lead voc, mando), Jerry,… more )

Dark as the Night, Blue as the Day
(Bill Monroe cover) (with Molly Tuttle) (vocals from Molly Tuttle and Sierra Hull)

Tennessee (I Hear You Calling Me)

I'm on My Way Back to the Old Home

The Ballad of Jed Clampett
(Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs cover)

Whitewater

Last edited by Inyo; 08-21-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:27 AM

There are two additional performances as well as an interview on the making of "My Bluegrass Heart" on the bonus CD that comes as a reward for making a pledge at a certain level.

That may explain the length of the Ryman concert video, which clocks in at 59 minutes according to the PBS website.

https://www.pbs.org/video/bela-fleck...eature-zzdphr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN