The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-06-2021, 12:56 PM

Default Buying a banjo for my mom

Hi everyone,

Just to give a little background I’ve played guitar for almost 25 years and have a modest but decent collection of Martins, Gibsons (acoustic and electric), and Fenders so I’m familiar with musical instruments and spending a decent amount.

My mom has said for years that she’d like to play banjo when she retires. Well, as of December she has retired so here comes my question!

As a self proclaimed gear snob I’d like to buy her a nice banjo but I’m unfamiliar with the brands that are best. I know that Gibson makes banjos but I don’t want to pigeonhole myself with just that brand.

My budget is about $2000 (can go higher but it might take a little longer to save up for) and even if she ends up playing it a few times and it becomes a conversation/decorative piece I’m not concerned. The fact that she helped me earn money for my first couple of guitars and sat through my terrible high school bands makes me want to return the favor in a grand a way if possible.

To put it into guitar terms if that’s at all helpful I’d like to buy her a banjo that would be the equivalent of, say, a J-45, D-18 or D-28: a known quality instrument that will undoubtedly be above where she’s at as a beginner but something that she’ll ideally never outgrow. I also don’t want to just throw money at this and have it be something that inhibits her playing.

I don’t know that she specifically knows what kind of music she’d like to play ultimately but from what I gather she’s most interested in bluegrass.

Thank you so much in advance, I appreciate your suggestions and ideas.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:13 PM

Smile Recommendations on Banjo Quality

As always be prepared for a lot of special pleading from various brands fanboys.

I, of course, being a Vega banjo snob, am above the fray. Unfortunately the Vega banjos I have are all 1960's models from the defunct original maker.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-07-2021 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
...My budget is about $2000 (can go higher but it might take a little longer to save up for)...To put it into guitar terms if that’s at all helpful I’d like to buy her a banjo that would be the equivalent of, say, a J-45, D-18 or D-28: a known quality instrument that will undoubtedly be above where she’s at as a beginner but something that she’ll ideally never outgrow...

I don’t know that she specifically knows what kind of music she’d like to play ultimately but from what I gather she’s most interested in bluegrass...
Somewhat above your budget (you said that's OK), but structurally/tonally they've got everything she needs and nothing she doesn't:

https://banjo.com/product/deering-sierra/

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...-ii-banjo-case
Old 02-06-2021, 03:08 PM
Guest 33123

The woman bore and raised you and this is how you are repaying her?!?!?!
Old 02-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Somewhat above your budget (you said that's OK), but structurally/tonally they've got everything she needs and nothing she doesn't:,

https://banjo.com/product/deering-sierra/

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...-ii-banjo-case
I love my Deering Sierra but don't play it much because it weighs a ton and I'm more into open backs and clawhammer. The banjo is like new and looks as it did when I bought it new three years ago.

Current Banjos:
Vega No. 2 Tubaphone
OME North Star Walnut
Eastman EBJ-WL1 Whyte Laydie
Vega 12" Old Tyme Wonder
Rickard 12" Maple Ridge Dobson
Pisgah 12" Custom Walnut Tubaphone
Bart Reiter Regent Whyte Laydie
Deering Sierra Maple Flathead Resonator

On Order: Ozark Custom Open Back

Huss & Dalton TD-R - Deering Sierra Maple - Martin D-18

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-07-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
LOL. Post of the day!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Haha that’s hilarious!! Definitely made me chuckle.

Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations!!
Old 02-06-2021, 07:09 PM

Assuming she has never played before, it might be a good idea to take her to a store with a good selection to just feel the styles out. There are some stores in California with a decent inventory.

While most people think of a bluegrass banjo as having a resonator, they can be heavy and uncomfortable sitting down. If playing alone, an open back banjo might be better. There are lighter banjos too. Deering has some decent, American made banjos that are lighter in their Goodtime line, but those aren’t as nicely made as their other models.

Pisgah makes some great banjos in some interesting woods. In any event, you should be able to find a fine banjo for $1500 — $2000.

Anyway, good luck and nice thought for your mom. Sure she’s not interested in a mandolin?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
Hi everyone,

Just to give a little background I’ve played guitar for almost 25 years and have a modest but decent collection of Martins, Gibsons (acoustic and electric), and Fenders so I’m familiar with musical instruments and spending a decent amount.

My mom has said for years that she’d like to play banjo when she retires. Well, as of December she has retired so here comes my question!

As a self proclaimed gear snob I’d like to buy her a nice banjo but I’m unfamiliar with the brands that are best. I know that Gibson makes banjos but I don’t want to pigeonhole myself with just that brand.

My budget is about $2000 (can go higher but it might take a little longer to save up for) and even if she ends up playing it a few times and it becomes a conversation/decorative piece I’m not concerned. The fact that she helped me earn money for my first couple of guitars and sat through my terrible high school bands makes me want to return the favor in a grand a way if possible.

To put it into guitar terms if that’s at all helpful I’d like to buy her a banjo that would be the equivalent of, say, a J-45, D-18 or D-28: a known quality instrument that will undoubtedly be above where she’s at as a beginner but something that she’ll ideally never outgrow. I also don’t want to just throw money at this and have it be something that inhibits her playing.

I don’t know that she specifically knows what kind of music she’d like to play ultimately but from what I gather she’s most interested in bluegrass.

Thank you so much in advance, I appreciate your suggestions and ideas.
As a correction, Gibson no longer builds banjos and hasn't since the Nashville flood.

I've built open backs for several years, so I'm familiar with several brands and small shop makers.

The FIRST thing you need to do is find out what type of music she is interested in playing. The type of instrument that is purchased could end up being counter to what you should purchase, particularly if you want to buy a better quality instrument.

Since she thinks she may be most interested in bluegrass then it might be good to pick up something like a mid-level Recording King or similar to start on. Once she figures out what she really is interested in then that's the time to go higher up the food chain.

There have been some other good suggestions posted as well. I've been asked by the mods not to link to other forums so it limits any help I can offer.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-06-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:37 PM

From someone whos knows very little: I am a guitar player, but have always wanted to get a banjo eventually (upcoming 60th - could happen!) . I'm more interested in open-back than resonator and do try them out from time to time in music stores. FWIW I really liked the Deering Americana - comfortable, sounded great, looked great and well within your budget.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-07-2021, 10:00 AM

Thank you all for the input and advice as well as information and correction!!

I definitely have a lot of research to do and am grateful to be at least pointed in the correct direction now.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The difference between a banjo and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of four!

-Mike
Old 02-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Deering.

My wife gigs with a Deering Goodtime resonator. American made and high quality.

The Goodtime is essentially their "starter" lineup, but lots of pros perform with them. They are not as loud as their more expensive lines, but the tradeoff in weight is huge. Bluegrass banjos can be EXTREMELY heavy. Think Les Paul with a 5 lb weight attached heavy. The Goodtimes are about 4 or 5 lbs.

You lose 20-30% volume but save 50-60% of the weight. My wife bout an extremely heavy banjo and quickly sold it. Loud, but too uncomfortable to hold for long periods. Heavy tone rings and lots of brackets = volume and weight.

There are also smaller builders like Sprucetop has in their list like Pisgah and reiter that are sold direct and through Elderly's that are well made, sound great and fairly light.

Personally, I think Deering Goodtime and Americana models are great instruments and could easily be a "lifetime" instrument.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-07-2021, 02:28 PM

A couple of banjo makers that haven't been mentioned are Bart Reiter and Kevin Enoch. Excellent instruments, not too pricey, definitely worth looking into. But you cannot go wrong with Deering.

As mentioned above, resonator banjos are heavy. Openbacks are significantly less so and sound just fine (and are plenty loud enough for the average person).

Bluegrass, strictly defined, is essentially a group style, that's why they play resonator banjos, to be heard in the middle of a group of other instruments. If your mom just means "bluegrass" in the contemporary sense - any folk-type music played on acoustic instruments - an openback would be a better buy than a reso.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
A couple of banjo makers that haven't been mentioned are Bart Reiter and Kevin Enoch. Excellent instruments, not too pricey, definitely worth looking into. But you cannot go wrong with Deering.

As mentioned above, resonator banjos are heavy. Openbacks are significantly less so and sound just fine (and are plenty loud enough for the average person).

Bluegrass, strictly defined, is essentially a group style, that's why they play resonator banjos, to be heard in the middle of a group of other instruments. If your mom just means "bluegrass" in the contemporary sense - any folk-type music played on acoustic instruments - an openback would be a better buy than a reso.
I'll vouch for Bart Reiter's banjos as having great value for a reasonable price. Another top-value builder is Bill Rickard out of Canada whose banjos are available at several American dealers including Elderly Instruments in Lansing, Michigan. A wonderful professional-level banjo is Deering's Vega Old Tyme Wonder that's available in 11- and 12-inch models.

Current Banjos:
Vega No. 2 Tubaphone
OME North Star Walnut
Eastman EBJ-WL1 Whyte Laydie
Vega 12" Old Tyme Wonder
Rickard 12" Maple Ridge Dobson
Pisgah 12" Custom Walnut Tubaphone
Bart Reiter Regent Whyte Laydie
Deering Sierra Maple Flathead Resonator

On Order: Ozark Custom Open Back
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments