The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-15-2021, 03:35 PM
Guest 33123

Default 2.5 hour private lesson with Jorma Kaukonen - What would YOU do with it?

Hi guys,

I signed up for a private 2.5 hour lesson with Jorma. Pretty excited but I'm thinking hard about what to focus on. So here's the question:

Given the undivided attention of Grammy winner, RnRHoFamer and respected educator Jorma Kaukonen, what would YOU do with 2.5 hours?

P.S. I will make up my own mind so leave me out of it.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Doug, I'm sure it can seem intimidating! I'd ask Jorma to show me how he would go about acoustifying (a non-word) songs like "Good Shepherd" and White Rabbit," and "Volunteers." Ask for tips on playing "Embryonic Journey." After that, if things get slow, ask him about Grace Slick's gun collection--just choking, er um joking!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-15-2021, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

If it's an online lesson then I'd record it as I doubt I could absorb everything he would teach in 2.5 hours!
Old 05-16-2021, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Money well spent! Not only for musical instruction, but great lessons in history and life. Been to Fur Peace twice, and hopefully more when they re-open!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-16-2021, 08:16 AM

I'd just ask HIM to play, sit back, and watch closely.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Dunno. Depends on what he wants to learn.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:55 AM
Get off my lawn kid

If I were to take an online lesson it would be on learning to use chord progressions to build finger style pieces and how to make the listener want to listen to more - how to use tension and release effectively.

If I was looking for blues/ragtime instruction a course on building turn-arounds would be really cool.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-16-2021, 12:01 PM

I've already taken a lesson from him -- I watched him play Embryonic Journey on youtube. "Oh, that's how you do it!" As an intermediate beginner, it took me about six months to get to a place where I figured I could record my version of it.....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-16-2021, 12:39 PM

I'd play him something and let him decide what I needed...
Old 05-17-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

That's awesome. Jorma has been a favorite of mine for many years. I'd ask him to teach me "Police Dog Blues" and "I am the Light of This World".
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 05-17-2021, 06:32 PM

Doug-

I've been pondering this since you first posted. It's a real interesting question as it's impossible to learn "that much" in two hours. Plus, it depends on where you are right now. But if he can light a spark for you to pursue...

I would be curious about several things: The first would be his musical journey. He was really close to a fellow named Ian Buchanan (at Antioch College) who was a student of Rev. Gary Davis. So I would want to know how that early experience (learning the RGD songs) led to rock and roll, and eventually Hot Tuna. I'd be more interested in what he retained from the original material and how he incorporated it in. And I'd love to ask him how his technique evolved from that, as he was exposed to an incredible amount of music, but likely never took a lesson.

Another thing I would love to work with him on would be to take a song and then embellish it. So, say you start with "Hesitation Blues" - what are the embellishments that you add and what are the turnarounds that you rely on to get you back to home base.

Having seen Jorma several times in person, listened to folks who who know him well and having watched him regularly through the pandemic. I can confidently say that, "What you see is what you've got." He's an authentic guy. So I'd also ask him, "What do you think I should be working on?"

Bottom line - have fun! One lesson may lead to another!

best,

Rick

P.S. - If you haven't already, you should check out his autobiography. You'll learn a lot about the man.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:18 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for your opinions guys. What I was hoping for. I should add that I have been a repeat offender at Fur Peace since 2013, have taken 2 group classes with Jorma and have enjoyed many chats with him over the years.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
... Another thing I would love to work with him on would be to take a song and then embellish it. So, say you start with "Hesitation Blues" - what are the embellishments that you add and what are the turnarounds that you rely on to get you back to home base. ...
I saw Hot Tuna acoustic in Fall 2019, and they did Hesitation. Jorma's clearly worked it over pretty good since the first Tuna record. It would definitely be interesting to ask him about how he changed his interpretation.

D.H.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Have a plan for the lesson session, send the plan and any material to Jorma a week before the lesson, and make sure you schedule breaks into the session. Your brain won’t be able to soak it all in for 2.5 hours straight. I’m sure Jorma will appreciate the breaks also to recharge.

I take 45 minute Skype lessons bi-weekly from a world class player/teacher and I find 45 minutes can be a lot to soak in when we are “on it”.

Good luck and have fun!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write