The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-16-2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorrocks
I agree that being comfortable with your voice and willing to project is the most important element. People will always enjoy what you are doing if you are enjoying it. We can all always use improvement, but joy is contagious.

I am a lot of things and a singer is not one of them as much as I try , I did take two singing lessons, learned to sing from the diaphram and spent the last five years trying to apply the principles and sing as naturally as possible. I emulate no one but am told I sound like Willie Nelson.

What I sound like is me and evidently that "me " is similar to Willie. Tha'ts ok by me but I am not trying to become famoust or even "professional. What I am trying to do is sell my songs .

I envy anyone with natural singing voice and talent to use it . No one has worked as hard to sound as bad as I apparently do and after all these years
my fans argue they love the way I sing. WEll the only thing now is I sing all my own material. So maybe what they hear is the song not the person. If that is the case I am gratefull as that was my final goal. Not to have a nice voice as that is a gift IMO, but rather to sing well and sing my own material. Now if that is "finding my own voice" , I guess I did it . All I could advise someone to do is write your own material, make it sound the way you want
it to sound and maybe you will ''find your voice there in the mix."

later

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 08-17-2004, 06:37 AM

For me I realized early, that all singing is just another practice session! So when I'm singing in a coffee house, it's just more practice. Of course I warm up, and rehearse a lot, but when I cut on the mic and play and sing for an hour, it's just practice - in front of people.
Ironically, because I'm not afraid to mess up in front of everyone - it being practice, I play well and more effortlessly, because my expectations are low! Constantly listening and critiquing my voice shuts me down. Let that animal run. The more practice I do, the better I get. I'm always practicing for improvement, that's the goal, so its all good.
Mark Baxter's web site is free and great!
Old 08-17-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffxfella
For me I realized early, that all singing is just another practice session! So when I'm singing in a coffee house, it's just more practice. Of course I warm up, and rehearse a lot, but when I cut on the mic and play and sing for an hour, it's just practice - in front of people.
Ironically, because I'm not afraid to mess up in front of everyone - it being practice, I play well and more effortlessly, because my expectations are low! Constantly listening and critiquing my voice shuts me down. Let that animal run. The more practice I do, the better I get. I'm always practicing for improvement, that's the goal, so its all good.
Mark Baxter's web site is free and great!
Sounds like a good approach, messing up is what I do best. LOL

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell