The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Default Choosing A Classical

I'm looking at purchasing a classical shortly down the road. I'm considering the Cordoba C5, but I lean more toward the Yamaha CG182S. I previously owned a Yamaha CG and liked the neck profile, and I was impressed with the build of the guitar. But I'd like to hear from you about what you think. I'm open to other options too, but I can't go above $500. What do you think about the Pavan TP-10? I've read about some problems with the finish, and a couple of people mentioned seeing some glue, but all praised the sound. What are your thoughts in comparison to the Yamaha or others? Any info you have about the neck profiles of guitars mentioned is helpful.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Surely, someone must have some thoughts.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Maybe because you are the one who'll be playing it, and it really doesn't matter what others think. Neck profile is particularly personal. I like a D shaped neck, vs a C shape, but many don't.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 AM

There are lots of classicals under $500.00. Cordoba is a decent brand but I prefer Alhambra - they private-label all the 'E-student-level' Ramirez models.

http://www.alhambrasl.com

Bang for the buck I love these guitars - fit & finish, playability and tone exceed most everything I've owned or played in your price range.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 AM

I went through this process about three years ago and tested out many models. I settled on the Cordoba GK Studio and am very happy I did. I could as easily have settled on a C5 model as well, I just liked the looks of the GK better. I have compared it to many guitars that cost $1,000.00 and up and still have not found a nicer guitar as far as features, comfort, tone and playability all go. I just played several Taylor models that run between $1,000 and $2,000 and still like the GK better. Cordoba's on the other hand, seem to be consistently pleasant sounding and easy to handle. I'm not saying that the Taylor's are not nice and I do like them but I find that some models sound too muddy, others too twangy, still others too bassy, it's very difficult to settle on the one model you like best. For the money I don't see any significant benefit in the $1,000 to $2,000 range.
Good Luck

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM

Always try a guitar before you buy and then make your own decision. Nobody can tell you to buy this guitar or that since you have to decide this for yourself.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 PM

I tried out a used LaPatrie and really liked it, also. Wasn't paying attention to neck profile, so I don't know how it compares.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Kats I am in the same boat as you. I'd be curious to know what you decide on.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 AM

There's quite a few options out there, new and used. I've got a Yamaha CG120, CG150, G-50a, G50, G80, Washburn C80s, a Jasmine, and a Cordoba fusion. Prices ranged from $45-400, all purchased used.

Best of the lot, the $60 Yamaha G80. I've gone into guitar shops and played a bunch, and while I've found better than what I currently have, the price tags are at least 4 figures. And I still think my $60 find sounds better. (or I'm rationalizing... which usually works towards me spending money. Strange...)

Play everything you can get your hands on. I don't think there's a huge jump in quality till you get into the area well over your budget. Within your budget I think it's a fairly even playing field.
I'm a big fan of the used market, usually finding great deals that don't sour too much if the guitar isn't 'the one'.

With all this said, I've had the Jasmine for 15-20 years... When I didn't know better... well, I just played... It still gets playing time. (OK, most of that is my 5 year old daughter...)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Default Tough Question

Wow,
Tough question! Here are the nylons I have owned with a line of advice afterwards....

Dauphin Classical: Wish I had never sold it but needed to pay bills with daughter

Aria Classical: Cheap but durable and had decent electronics

Washburn Classical: Learned how powerful a rosewood laminate can be with a cedar top. It started my love of cedar tops on classical guitars.

LaPatrie: Muddy sounding and chunky neck....never played one I liked enough to keep after buying and selling one.

Martin 000C16SGTNE: Best 1300 I have ever spent for the finest sounding guitar I will play everyday of the rest of my life. I would buy a used 000C in a second.

Taylor 24 with a Cedar Top: Limited: Best sounding under 1k

Cordoba C3M: A current house guitar that has a lot of bang for the buck....just needs decent tuners and higher end strings to shine. 200 bucks at GC is hard to beat

Cordoba GK Pro: Amazing sound at a nice price,.....699....loved it plugged and unplugged....and like a lot of its qualities.....

Taylor 314/614 Nylon: So much money for such poor sound out of the guitar unplugged.

For the money????
A Cordoba C3M has a matte finish with cedar top and mahogany back and sides....just upgrade tuners and you will smile
Takamine has some nicer guitars than you might imagine and have been raved about on over forums.
The Guild GA series has some nice nylons for the mid-range price used in your ballpark.

For what it is worth I find there is a pretty flat used nylon market and they are often on closeout.....you can find a Ibanez thin body cutaway with sterling electronics if you have 299 in your pocket and watch MF or GC.

Black Friday should be nice to you if you are looking for a deal....on a non-name brand.

There are so many Chinese imports that make the older 1K guitars sound terrible.....make sure there are not all glossed and blinged so the top can breathe and it can open up in time.

Try Hello Music and get on their email list....they have some nice nylons for right at 500 or 600.

Have fun and remember you may have to 'buy and release' a few times until you are satisfied. I never found a keeper until I spent over 1K and I don't regret selling 5 guitars to get one I cannot put down...

Jon
Old 11-16-2012, 06:50 AM

Default Jon

Jon
What about the Taylor 214 nylon. It is around 1,000. Is the sound muddy on this ?

Last edited by Grounder; 11-22-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM

I finally made a decision, and although it's much more than I wanted or can rightly afford to spend, I put a Cordoba C10 in layaway with Ted at LA Guitars. All solid woods appeals to me, and I ordered the one with a spruce top. I like the punch of spruce combined with the depth of rosewood.

All this came about after playing a Yamaha CG182S and not feeling convinced that was the way I wanted to go. Now I have strong motivation to set aside all my pennies toward the C10. Now it's sacrificing for the sound of classical beauty. Anyone know of any good food banks...

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical