The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-15-2004, 03:57 PM

Default My First Jam Sessions and new teacher - long

Hi All,

I went to my first 2 jam sessions the last 2 fridays!! Some friends of mine that are in the same fly fishing club as I am get together on fridays to play. They invited me the week before last so I took my daughters Strat and went. They are playing electrics right now. They said when the evening weather gets nice, they sometime sit outside and play acoustics. Anyways, they have several amps around the living room, microphones to sing with etc. I sat and listened for a long time. They were playing stuff I thought I had no business attempting since I am still considering myself a basic beginner. After a while one of the guys layed his guitar in my lap and told me it was my turn. I tried to give it back but he wouldnt take it. So I had to try it. They told me that they were going to play Blue on Back. I have heard the song before but never played it. One of the guys very nicely explained that I had to do was to play D, C and G chords and off they went. I figured out when to changed chords and he said to simply keep that going so I did . . . I did it! I ended up playing about 3 more songs. They told me which chords to play for each one and I did it . . . It was a blast. I felt like a 41 year old kid!!

This last friday I went again. My second time . . . This time they played a couple songs then drug out another amp so I could play more. I joined in and played the rest of the night with them. I had read about the 12 bar blues progression but never played it. One of the guys again told me the chords, quickly reviewed the 12 bar blues and off we went. He faced me so I could see when he changed chords for the first couple time through. That was cool. They played serveral more songs . . . I love 12 bar blues . . . once they told me the key it was in, I was good to go!!! It's easy! Now I need to learn some of the stuff they were adding, like turnarounds, intros and other little cool things they threw in. There were a couple song I didnt figure out like Sweet Home Alabama but thats ok. I play more songs than I did the firsst time I went. I now have a standing invitation to join them when I am able. This is so cool . . I know it's electric guitars and not acoustics but hey! It's a blast to crank up the amps and let her rip!!

My wife is supportive also which is cool. I have heard that if you can play with other people then you will learn more. It's true. The 2 times I went, combined, they showed me several things. Some new chords like Cadd9 which is easier for me to change to from a D chord. There is another chord they showed me, I believe they called it C9, D9 etc . . One of those that is movable up and down the neck.

I also started seeing a new teacher. He is primarily an acoustic player and told me up front that he doesnt play much electric. That's fine with me. I want to learn my acoustic well anyways. I can change again later if needed. So far I think he is better than the first guy I was seeing. I have had one lesson so far. It was a session devoted to him finding out where I am and me telling him what my goals were. I told him that I felt a littel stuck. I know how to finger all these chords but dont know how to really use the right hand very well. I told him that my first goal was to figure out how to use my right hand better. So he had me start practicing bass-strum using alternate bass notes. I have read about this but never tried it. He told me to get that down, then he'll have me start adding the up stroke to it, etc. So we'll see. I like him. He is young (19 years old) but an awsome player. I asked him how he learned and he told me his family played and he had to learn fast to keep up with them. I think he performs also as he said something about being on stage or recording. He had been teaching for a while. I am taking lessons at http://www.banjostore.com . . . . You bluegrass people may have heard of Janet Davis . . . It's interesting to learn that someone who writes instructions books that are published by Mel Bay has her business just down the road from my house.

wayne
Old 08-15-2004, 06:01 PM

Way to go Wayne! Jamming like that in somebody's house is a great way to get your feet wet. I'll be looking for you to be doing open mic by this time next year! Just enjoy your friends & your playing.

714ce LTD/SPEC
810 -SOLD-
1991 Takamine EN-10 (AN)
Mid-Mo M2 mandolin
1989 Valley Arts Strat
1988 Fender American Tele
Old 08-16-2004, 04:01 PM

There ya go, Wayne! Ya done hit the jackpot! You hightail it over to where them boys is playin', and you do it often! Next thing, you will be playin' rhythm with 'em in a band at some honky tonk. Then folks will be lookin' at you and wishin' they could do what yer a doin. Won't that be a change! LOL Absolutely, you will learn more playing and jamming with live folks than any where else, and quicker, too. Your lessons will help your ability to join in and add to the music in a way that will make them smile. Good for you! Congratulations, and keep on playin'!
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell