The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-10-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Soloing over odd-meter grooves

So I auditioned/rehearsed with this band last night, and we ran through several tunes, one of which was in 5/4 and another of which was in 7/8 (I think, I never really counted it, but it just felt a little short of 4/4.)

So how the heck do you learn to solo over odd-meter grooves?? All of the licks and phrases we know are (mostly) in 4/4, 6/8 or maybe 3/4. Last night I found myself 'landing' on 5 instead of 1 all the time. Is there an abersold book that has weird meter tunes I can practice on?

Playing rhythm is no problem, once I get the groove in my ear I can play that easily. But improvising a solo over a weird meter is tough!

I've always had a hard time soloing over Take 5 too.

My Band!
Old 08-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Eric Skye

Well, you can think of 5/4 as 3 and 2. Or 7/8 as 4 and 3, etc.. But I think the best thing to do is to record yourself playing the Take Five two chord vamp, in an easier key for starters, perhaps Em to Bm, for about half a hour. Just keep at it. Eventully you'll get the square peg in the round hole.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

To start, one trick is to play with 3/4 and 4/4 and see where either 3/4 or 4/4 would join back up with the meter, depending upon whether it is odd or even in multiples. So 6/4 would meet 3/4 at the third measure.

Another is to find the naturally emphasized beats of a meter and work to them or against them. One, three, and five are strong in 7/8.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell