The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-30-2004, 08:34 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh
I've found there's an old song that nobody plays in the music stores anymore. Don't know why because it's a real classic that was played by most anybody with a guitar in the 50's and 60's. When I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll drive down to Guitar Center, grab a Les Paul off the wall, plug into a Marshall stack and dime all the controls, then start jamming! Sometimes I like to sing along. Either way, it seems everybody in the store stops what they're doing and listens to me play. They often have a look on their face like they don't know the tune, but when I start to sing, the expression on their faces immediately change...

The Song: The timeless classic, Kumbaya. Try it sometime in your favorite shop, and you'll see what I mean...

You Sir are my kind of people!

714ce LTD/SPEC
810 -SOLD-
1991 Takamine EN-10 (AN)
Mid-Mo M2 mandolin
1989 Valley Arts Strat
1988 Fender American Tele
Old 07-31-2004, 11:02 AM

Smile

folks
This is strictly my opinion;
Good songs are always good food for your soul, no matter when they were created, created time has nothing to do with it. Some of you may not be able to digest them (it's not song fault, it's your own bias digesting system)
How old those classical pieces by say Beethoven, Bach, Chopin.. to name a few? Those masterpieces still feed your hunger souls every time, and will be for so many years to come, don't you agree.
Please don't let so-call "TIME" blind you from "Reality"
Old 08-08-2004, 07:48 PM

Wild Thing - the Hendrix version - got me kicked out of Guitar Center.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatex
That tab is correct except for this section.............

E |-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

B |---5-------3-------7-------5-------|---8-----8---8-----8-----8---8-----|

G |-------0-------0-------0-------0---|-------0-------0-------0-------0---|

D |-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

A |---3-------4-------5-------6-------|---7-------7-------6-------6-------|

E |-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

+ . + . + . + . + . + . + . + .

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see

E |----------------------------------------------------|

B |---7-------3-------5-----5---5------4-----4---4-----|

G |-------0-------0-------0-------0--------0-------0---|

D |----------------------------------------------------|

A |---5-------4-------3-------3--------3-------3-------|

E |----------------------------------------------------|

+ . + . + .

All your life

All your life

Every time this pattern comes up in the song, play it as above, and your bang on
Old 08-09-2004, 08:11 AM

Well, I happen to play Landslide, and Dust in the Wind when asked, and Blackbird and House of the Rising Sun. I know the chords to Stairway, just not all the words. I once faked it at a gig anyway, pretty succesfully too. I get asked for it every once in a while and think it may have been so long now, that it might be considered "cool" again...

Uh, I'll play a lot of songs other musicians wont play, and I am as proud of that fact as the other musicians are proud to say they WON'T play them. I play them well enough that nobody will ever come up and kick me in the shins, at least I hope!

I draw the line at Margueritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise. But I have other Buffet songs you might enjoy! I'll play Moondance, Wreck of the Edmund Fitgerald, Puff the Magic Dragon and Bye Bye Mrs American Pie if you like, (usually don't pick them on my own) and of course- I will be glad to sing Bobby Mcgee another 5,000 times for your enjoyment. Ha ha ha!

Ok, maybe I wont be "glad", but I wont be unhappy to do it. It is a good song, and the crowd usually gets into it. Hey, I am not ashamed to admit, I actually try to please the audience. Luckily I like popular music enough that I don't feel "artistically compromised" or anything when I perform it. I can relate to how that must feel. I don't think I'd be very happy playing in a bluegrass or country band. (Not to mention, I'd probably be very bad at country.) But gosh, I wish I had a quarter for every time I sang that Janis Joplin song...

Curious about my songlist? - Go look at it at - www.elizabethroth.com
Old 08-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl
Well, I happen to play Landslide, and Dust in the Wind when asked, and Blackbird and House of the Rising Sun. I know the chords to Stairway, just not all the words. I once faked it at a gig anyway, pretty succesfully too. I get asked for it every once in a while and think it may have been so long now, that it might be considered "cool" again...

Uh, I'll play a lot of songs other musicians wont play, and I am as proud of that fact as the other musicians are proud to say they WON'T play them. I play them well enough that nobody will ever come up and kick me in the shins, at least I hope!

I draw the line at Margueritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise. But I have other Buffet songs you might enjoy! I'll play Moondance, Wreck of the Edmund Fitgerald, Puff the Magic Dragon and Bye Bye Mrs American Pie if you like, (usually don't pick them on my own) and of course- I will be glad to sing Bobby Mcgee another 5,000 times for your enjoyment. Ha ha ha!

Ok, maybe I wont be "glad", but I wont be unhappy to do it. It is a good song, and the crowd usually gets into it. Hey, I am not ashamed to admit, I actually try to please the audience. Luckily I like popular music enough that I don't feel "artistically compromised" or anything when I perform it. I can relate to how that must feel. I don't think I'd be very happy playing in a bluegrass or country band. (Not to mention, I'd probably be very bad at country.) But gosh, I wish I had a quarter for every time I sang that Janis Joplin song...

Curious about my songlist? - Go look at it at - www.elizabethroth.com
I'm just glad I got to hear "Oops I did it again" in person

And I will attest first-hand that Elizabeth's shows are some of the most fun to watch, precisely because you DO know most of the songs so well!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 08-09-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Landslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Gal
me neither. Do y'all have a good tab for Landslide?
thanks, gg
Try .....http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/f/fleet...lide-tab.shtml
Old 08-09-2004, 01:19 PM

Well, thanks Ryan, but please back me up on this- when I sang that tune it wasn't a bad thing, right?

And it DIDN'T sound like Brittney Spears, it sounded like a kind of hip acoustic rock song, right?

I made you like it, didn't I? While at the same time making some ten year old girl very happy...

(Evidently there can be repercussions to singing certain things. I'll tell you a funny story sometime about the Britney Spears tune.)
Old 08-09-2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh
I've found there's an old song that nobody plays in the music stores anymore. Don't know why because it's a real classic that was played by most anybody with a guitar in the 50's and 60's. When I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll drive down to Guitar Center, grab a Les Paul off the wall, plug into a Marshall stack and dime all the controls, then start jamming! Sometimes I like to sing along. Either way, it seems everybody in the store stops what they're doing and listens to me play. They often have a look on their face like they don't know the tune, but when I start to sing, the expression on their faces immediately change...

The Song: The timeless classic, Kumbaya. Try it sometime in your favorite shop, and you'll see what I mean...
Outstanding!!! Or right up there with it is...Michael row the boat ashore...

Don't get roasted marshmallow on your amp
Old 08-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Ha ha. Yes. There could be repercussions for me if I added Micheal Row Yur Boat Ashore or Kumbaya to my set list, too! Now, One Tin Soldier, Puff and Stewball I can get away with.

But I have to mix in the corny folk stuff sparingly, ditto with the pop stuff, and mostly play good acoustic folk/rock, with some harder rock and roll tunes thrown in just to balance it out on the other side. And just a small amount of (non-twangy) country and oldies and current stuff thrown in for good measure... (All this makes for a good variety... but it is impossible to accurately define what "style" of music I play.)
Old 08-09-2004, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelsgirl
<del>

But I have to mix in the corny folk stuff sparingly, ditto with the pop stuff, and mostly play good acoustic folk/rock, with some harder rock and roll tunes thrown in just to balance it out on the other side. And just a small amount of (non-twangy) country and oldies and current stuff thrown in for good measure... (All this makes for a good variety... but it is impossible to accurately define what "style" of music I play.)
that's the best 'style' of all, imo. mix it up and be versatile and don't condemn a song just for being too popular or over-exposed.

but 'achy-breaky heart' is in a whole 'nother category ... [g]

/guy
Old 08-09-2004, 04:36 PM

Well, had I written "Achy Breaky Heart" myself, I'd have probably laughed, and then waited about 20 seconds before chucking it into a trash can!

Shows how much we know, eh gteague? We could be rich!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimper
I'm just glad I got to hear "Oops I did it again" in person
I haven't heard Elizabeth sing it, but I heard Richard Thompson's recording recently, and it's pretty interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell